• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Intermetatarsal bursitis - who has had an injection in their foot

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas, I now have a Dx for my ball-of-foot pain/burning toes. I had an ultrasound and it showed bursitis between my 2nd and 3rd metatarsal...and the 3rd and 4th one too. I need two cortisone injections but they can't be done on the same day...apparently I can't have too much cortisone injected in one sitting? Has anyone got any info about this? (This just sounds like how our Medicare system is run here instead of a real medical issue.)

I have an appointment on Monday and then a follow-up on Wednesday. I have heard it hurts like a mother...and I have to have two shots (sob!!). It's such a bummer I can't have it all done on the same day and be done with it. I'm hoping it works for me as I've also heard the success rate can be a bit hit and miss too :cry:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This isn't the same thing, but years ago I had cortisone injections in my foot for plantar fasciitis. I think over the course of a few months I may have had two or three shots. Yeah, it hurt, but really, it wasn't excruciating (keep in mind that I am a wimp for pain.). And it did help a bit...but not long term. Eventually I ended up with my foot in a cast for a month, and that's what got rid of it for me. Your problem is entirely different, so maybe the injections would do the trick for you.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had steroid injections for morton's neuroma. They were uncomfortable, but I didn't think they were terrible.

Now ... sclerosing ... that was TERRIBLE. For some reason, the nerve objected to being doused with alcohol in an attempt to kill it.

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm very glad it's not Morton's neuroma. That's a tricky one to treat...and sounds so much more painful to do so with the nerve involvement...big ouch! Our feet are so precious. I don't think I'll ever be able to stand wearing high heels anymore. I havent worn any for well over a year now. They have just been sitting in my wardrobe collecting dust.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm very glad it's not Morton's neuroma. That's a tricky one to treat...and sounds so much more painful to do so with the nerve involvement...big ouch! Our feet are so precious. I don't think I'll ever be able to stand wearing high heels anymore. I havent worn any for well over a year now. They have just been sitting in my wardrobe collecting dust.
I have an army of different colored patent leather Dansko's that I pair with suits for dressier occasions, other than that the only uncomfortable shoe I'm willing to mess with clicks into a pair of skis!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Good luck; grin and bear it.
I've had cortisone injections a couple of times, and I frankly found them no more uncomfortable than dental anesthetic. I did, however, self-inject for migraines for some time, so needles are a non-issue for me.

Most recent cortison was for an ankle sprain incurred in mid-October that was not improving by early November. Once and done.

Will agree with @bounceswoosh about sclerosing, though - have seen others go through this, way-bad painful. Kind of takes the thrill out of recreational alcohol once one knows that it's used to kill tissue, eh? :eek:

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will agree with @bounceswoosh about sclerosing, though - have seen others go through this, way-bad painful. Kind of takes the thrill out of recreational alcohol once one knows that it's used to kill tissue, eh? :eek:

Yes, our bodies recognise alcohol as a poison and always metabolises it first. I don't drink too much of it nowadays at all. It just makes me sleepy and gives me a headache.

I am very reassured to hear it's not too bad. I'm just a tad squeamish about a needle in the foot. I give blood regularly and have a good pain threshold (have broken my shoulder and been bitten by a red back spider - which was way worse than childbirth!), but I suppose it harks back to when I was 10 years old and I had a plantar wart cut out of my heel. I had about 6 jabs in my heel to numb the pain. I was very brave at the time...only a few silent tears squeezed out, but I still remember how much it hurt and the huge hole it left. I couldn't go swimming for the whole summer, which really was the worst part. Funny how we carry stuff around with us for years.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had several steroid shots in my foot and one in my wrist. The only issue with the foot, really, was that it left a squishy pad under my foot till it absorbed. It felt a little bruised after.

With the wrist, I did actually have a rare reaction after the numbing agent wore off. I was fine all day, but then it hurt so bad that I had to shift (manual transmission) with my left hand. And DH had to undress me for bed because any contact hurt. But again, rare. I recommend taking advil 4-6 hours after the shot.

That experience was still better than sclerosing, even though the pain from sclerosing only lasted a few minutes.

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I'm very happy to report that I've had my two cortisone injections into my foot and it is fantastic to be back to normal...it worked and it only stung a bit. Each shot was all over in seconds!

Yesterday, we went for a 3 hour bush walk (it was only going to be about 2 hours but we took the wrong turn on the map). It was hard yakka - very steep and rocky on some of the uphill (much faster and way less slippery than trying to come downhill though) and my foot was fine. Both feet were a bit rubbed and sore at the end but that's to be expected (I'll tape all the hot spots for next time - I know where they are now).

I'm also chuffed that my fitness was so good and I coped in our monstrous heat and humidity. Hopefully, I will get my ski legs back in quick time and be able to happily slide in the altitude. I.cannot!wait! - hit the slopes on 23Feb. Counting down the days now :yahoo:

Hormake

Diva in Training
Just wanted to congratulate you! Sorry I post this (I guess) too late, but I wanted to say that I also had 2 cortisone injections for the exact same condition as you did and, seemingly, as you, everything went well. I had them 6 months ago and ever since I am all fine. come back on 23Feb and update. good luck :smile:

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just saw this thread and want to add my congrats on a diagnosis and successful treatment. I'm at 22 months foot pain and am no closer to knowing what's wrong than I ever have been...I'm just out of tests & doctors. So, seriously...congrats!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I just saw this thread and want to add my congrats on a diagnosis and successful treatment. I'm at 22 months foot pain and am no closer to knowing what's wrong than I ever have been...I'm just out of tests & doctors. So, seriously...congrats!
That really sucks. You must be so frustrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly