• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

SassySkier101

Diva in Training
Hi everyone!

I learned how to ski last season and fell in love! I skied about once/week and can ski on green, blues and black diamonds. Having rented last season, I'm looking to purchase some gear this year which would suit my current level + room to improve. My boyfriend is an expert snowboarder, so more often than not, I'm trying to keep up with him on the slopes. I'm located in Quebec and ski frequently on Mont Tremblant, Bromont, and Sutton - snow is pretty packed down with some icy patches . I prefer to stay on piste, although it looks to me like all-mountain skis are a bit more versatile (on/off piste).

I noticed a few recommendations on the forum for the Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and the Head Absolut Joys, would you have any other skis to recommend considering my case above?

I'm also very hesitant on which size ski to go for, I'm 5'6" and 125-130 pounds. Any recommendations would be really greatly appreciated!! :smile:

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
Good morning! Before everyone else piles on, I will say that getting boots first (and from a highly-regarded bootfitter, not off the internet!) is crucial. Much more important than which skis. The boots can make or break your skiing. I'll let others comment on the skis to choose and sizes, since my experience is limited.

But above all, thanks for joining! We are always happy to have a new member to discuss gear with!

:welcome:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Just want to say welcome! I’m impressed you can ski blacks after one season. Just as a data point, I’m about your height and weight and have both the BP88 and Absolut Joy. The BP88 is 159cm and the AJ is 153. I don’t know enough to say if they’re the right length, just that’s what I have and I’m comfortable on them.

Jilly

Staff member
Beinvenue!! Boots first....and not from Sport Experts (unless it's the one at Sutton), or Intersport.

Tremblant - Ski Max or Daniel Lachance off the mountain. On the mountain...the Atomic shop or Magasin de la Place.

Hopefully there will be demo's this season. I would suggest for eastern skiing keeping under the 80mm waist width. And a little stiff. I have a tuned down race ski and the Santa Anna 88's. Those only come out after a storm.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Buy boots first - from a reputable fitter, as per the suggestions above - and spend a season on demo/high performance rentals. The skis you suggest may be fine for the skiing you want to do, or you may hate them, and the only way to know is to try different skis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone!

I learned how to ski last season and fell in love! I skied about once/week and can ski on green, blues and black diamonds. Having rented last season, I'm looking to purchase some gear this year which would suit my current level + room to improve. My boyfriend is an expert snowboarder, so more often than not, I'm trying to keep up with him on the slopes. I'm located in Quebec and ski frequently on Mont Tremblant, Bromont, and Sutton - snow is pretty packed down with some icy patches . I prefer to stay on piste, although it looks to me like all-mountain skis are a bit more versatile (on/off piste).

I noticed a few recommendations on the forum for the Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and the Head Absolut Joys, would you have any other skis to recommend considering my case above?

I'm also very hesitant on which size ski to go for, I'm 5'6" and 125-130 pounds. Any recommendations would be really greatly appreciated!! :smile:
Welcome! Perhaps you can get some input from @SkiBam , who is also a regular at Tremblant.

Are you skiing the blacks at Bromont and Sutton, and the mainly the blues at Tremblant? I've only been at Tremblant one day during early season. But since it's a much bigger mountain than the other two, the trail ratings are quite different. The colors only apply to a given mountain going from easiest to hardest.

I'm petite and probably was far older when I started buying skis as an adventurous intermediate 15 years ago. I happen to like the BP88 (not 2020 or 2021 design) and own the Absolut Joy. My first skis that I considered "all-mountain" for use both in the east and on trips out west were 75 underfoot with a wide shovel. Later on I moved up to skis that were mid-80s in width for big mountains and soft snow. I got the Absolut Joys after demo'ing them and only use them in the east. They are 10cm shorter than the skis I use out west.

What length were the skis you used last season? Did they come up to your nose?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After you buy the good boots if you are determined to have a pair of skis to use for a season or two while you progress you can always buy last year‘s demos from ski shops. Or online if you get an idea what you might like from something like Powder 7 in Colorado. They are pretty upfront about describing their skis and their customer service about taking them back is also good in my experience. I skied on borrowed skis my first year way back when. And on boots I got it from Play it Again Sports! Way before I had a clue about what I might like or need. I was lucky to have a coworker whose daughter worked at Atomic. Good source for skis when I was just starting!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Welcome!

After you square away boots, I would add the Nordica Astral 84 165 to your list. Great fun ski that you won’t quickly outgrow.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would actually recommend that the waist of your skis be under 80mm (so, no Black Pearl) and as narrow as 67mm. Because you're in a phase where you're learning fundamental movements, being on a skinnier ski will help the carving learning curve. Don't ski anything shorter than something in the low 150cm range.

newboots

Angel Diva
I would actually recommend that the waist of your skis be under 80mm (so, no Black Pearl) and as narrow as 67mm. Because you're in a phase where you're learning fundamental movements, being on a skinnier ski will help the carving learning curve. Don't ski anything shorter than something in the low 150cm range.

I think that @Pequenita makes a good point. All-mountain skis are very fashionable right now, and skis in general have been getting wider, too. In my recent sudden breakthrough in carving, I was skiing on a different ski: 69 waist width, and it seemed to make a difference.

But also pay attention to the size and shape of your rental skis! They have served you quite well, with the progress you described. And ask yourself what, if anything, didn't you like about them. You're probably in the market for something a little longer and somewhat stiffer. Do you remember the rental skis' stats, or the manufacturer, model, and size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly