• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Intermediate Road Trip to 3 MCP Mtns (Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, Big Sky)

Yamaste

Certified Ski Diva
Day 7 - Big Sky 1

Sun was out for the first time all trip! Waited about 5 -10 minutes for shuttle to show up to bring us from parking lot to base.

This time, I went from left to right on the trail map. Started with Ramcharger which is an 8 seater with heated seats with a bubble that automatically lifts right before unloading! Fancy. I could definitely get used to heated seats <3<3<3 Headed down Big Horn for Thunder Wolf lift. I tried Mad Wolf and Wolf’s Den are some short, easygoing blacks that meet up with the main blue trail. It was bumpy but still very soft. Some short blues off Ramcharger itself but I found it icy at spots and didn’t really care for them. The restaurant at the top of Ramcharger looked quite nice (and bartenders seemed to have uniform of man buns, lol) but they said there’d be a 20 min wait so we decided to leave and move on to Swift Current which is a very long, windy, and cold ride up! The little Burrito Shack at the top there had tons of skis outside, there’s not way we would have been able to sit/stand/eat there so we skied down to the base. Walked into the first restaurant we saw, 40/45 min wait. We left and walked into the Mountain Mall, went inside the first restaurant there … 30-45 min wait! Luckily, we found a market/deli inside the mall where you can order hot food. I got soup and a brie and turkey sandwich.

There didn’t seem to be a main lodge or cafeteria where people could go to eat, just lots of little places that were full up because it was a holiday weekend. After, we did laps on Swift Current but found them to be too flat and too short given how long lift ride up was. We didn’t move/ski long enough on the down to keep us warm for the long, windy ride up. We decided to call it a day and try Six Shooter at Madison Base tomorrow since people on lifts kept recommending it to us.

Dinner was a 2 hour nightmare. More details in a post to follow about general hospitality and infrastructure at Big Sky.

Day 8 - Big Sky 2

Tried to start day at Madison Base, but Google Maps took me to the middle of a bunch of condos. I circled for a bit trying to find the real base but no luck. Took a long traverse to get to bottom on Six Shooter. Almost nobody was on this side of the mountain. I liked how quiet/calm it was, but the blue runs had the same issues: long extended flats. Plus side, I had nice view of there people coming off the tram hike to and drop in! Very cool to watch them ski. Had lunch at Madison, food was blah and wait was very long. I made sure to use the bathroom at Madison since it was port a potties everywhere else on the mountain. I went back towards the center of the map and explored some single blacks off of Powder Seeker. They weren’t very steep but were bumped or cut up. Main issue was visibility. I could not perceive the pitch or any changes in terrain so every inch was a surprise to me! Suddenly I was going up a side or it drops down steeply, lol. I liked linking Powder seeker with Crazy Horse which takes you to the bottom of Swift Current. It makes the run a little longer (so I could warm my body up).

Dinner was takeout that took double the amount of time they estimated … because they forgot to call my name when the food was ready.

Day 9 - Big Sky 3

General annoyance at lack of food options, slowness of service, lack of on mountain facilities + very cold (6 degrees with windchill in the negatives) + very flat blues → skip skiing. Left for Bozeman early where *GASP* when went into a restaurant for lunch, we were seated immediately and the food came out out within 15-20 minutes. I was over the moon. It was a cajun place and the food was good but not anything special. However, I was overjoyed that I was actually being served non burnt, non cold food and the universe was done trying to starve me. That and I always love beignets! And sitting by real fires. Finally, to the airport and home.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great trip report! Certainly sounds like you managed to get a good feel for all the ski resorts. It's tough for a place as big as Big Sky to figure things out when sticking mostly to blues and easy blacks. The free mountain tour is actually quite useful even though the skiing is only on blues. They do them twice a day, 10:45 and 1:00 from the Big Sky base.

There didn’t seem to be a main lodge or cafeteria where people could go to eat, just lots of little places that were full up because it was a holiday weekend. After, we did laps on Swift Current but found them to be too flat and too short given how long lift ride up was. We didn’t move/ski long enough on the down to keep us warm for the long, windy ride up. We decided to call it a day and try Six Shooter at Madison Base tomorrow since people on lifts kept recommending it to us.
There is a cafeteria on the second floor of the Mountain Mall, the building just to the left where the shuttle stops. But in general finding food is a bit tricky around Big Sky. Several of the places that serve are inside the hotels at the main base. I just noticed tonight that there is now a diagram of the main base on the back of the trail map that lists all the eating places.

I liked how quiet/calm it was, but the blue runs had the same issues: long extended flats.
Several of the blues at Moonlight Basin are actually runouts for the black tree terrain off the ridges at Moonlight. What Moonlight has is very good beginner terrain for children's lessons. It was a separate ski resort for a while before being bought by Boyne and added to Big Sky.

@lisamamot and I did a few runs at Moonlight today, including one she knew from previous trips. Single Jack is a nice long bump run that's rated black. Had medium size bumps and good snow. Bill also had fun in some of the trees. A few of the black trails at Big Sky are between the blue bump runs and blacks at Taos.

alison wong

Angel Diva
. So you took a shuttle to SSV and when you were done there, there's another shuttle to move to lodgings near LL or you just commuted from Banff/Sunshine to LL the days you skied there?

Yes, I stayed in Banff town as my base, took shuttles to SSV / LL. Based on the shuttle pickup/dropoff locations, I chose to stay at hotels along the shuttle route (to minimize walking).
I liked Mont Royal hotel because the hotel parking lot is one of the shuttle stops. I usually waited inside the hotel lobby until I saw shuttle bus pulled into the parking lot.

I never stayed in LL because not much to do there (no night life). I liked Banff town because it was convenient and I liked to stroll along Banff Ave after skiing, window shopping and people watching. In winter, there are plenty non-skier tourists visiting Banff. I got to mingle with them...

One year I stayed in YWCA in Banff, it locates across the river. It was cheap but still convenient location wise. Just walked across the bridge and catch shuttle bus stop at Mont Royal Hotel.

This is the shuttle schedule for your reference:
https://us.skibig3.com/ski-shuttle-3/

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice trip report. I'm in Banff now. Staying in Canmore- 1/2hr to Sunshine/Norquay. 1hr to LL
Canmore is a cool little town is the entry to the Mts and jawdropping beautiful

Our VRBO has a pass to use. YES you need a pass! We had a ticket on our car in the parking lot (as did about 50 other cars) at Sunshine- I forgot to put the tag on the windshield. We stopped at the 'buy a pass' entry to the park yesterday and cleared my rental car tag. Pass is 25$ for a year (I think)

I have skied Revy. We flew from Vancouver to Kelwona It was at least 3hrs from Kelwona up to Revy
@alison wong is correct passes can be closed and roads can be dicey if it's snowy.

LL town has nothing, Banff is cool town we spent time there yesterday. Plenty of busses (Brewster is the bus company to take you to Norquay, LL or Sunshine)

It was brutally cold Sat/Sun so we drove up and hiked a bit into glacier lakes. Just driving the highway into Jasper National Park is Stunning.

Definitely put this area of the world on your bucket list. here's some teaser photos that don't do this "land before time" area justice

From lake louise:
1551886018744.png

Our view in Town of Canmore:
1551886096531.png

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We checked on the pass $ 20/day 130/yr (Canadian $) sharing your pass like vrbo owners do is illegal!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna