• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Intermediate looking for new skis - Blizzard Sheeva 10?

Megnog

Diva in Training
Hi ladies! I'm excited to join the forum and hopefully everyone is doing well in quarantine. While I've been stuck at home I've been diving deep into the rabbit hole of looking for new skis to buy, and I was hoping I could get some advice.

I'm currently on a pair of K2 Luv Struck 80s in 156cm that I bought as used demo skis when I first started skiing three years ago. They've been great to learn on, but I started feeling like I was outgrowing them this year. As I've gotten faster on groomers, they've started feeling less stable, and on powder days they don't float super well. But, I do appreciate their maneuverability and forgiveness!

I'd say I'm a strong intermediate skier - I spend most of my time on ungroomed blues and blacks at my local hill, and just started skiing trees at the end of this season (pre-Covid). I'm feeling more comfortable at speed on groomers, learned that I love skiing bumps, and I really like being in the trees so far, although I'm still pretty cautious there. I feel confident on blues and fairly comfortable on most blacks unless conditions are icy. I have yet to do a double black run.

I live and ski in eastern Washington state, where conditions are variable to say the least. We get fresh snow fairly often and I also go skiing in BC and Montana, so I'm ideally looking for something with a bit of a powder bias, but that can also handle our choppier/icier days. I demoed the Rossignol Sky 7 HD this year in a freak March storm that dumped over 2 feet of powder here, and LOVED them on that day - they were SO much easier to float on than my own skis! But, not every day is a powder day (sadly) and I'm concerned the Sky 7s wouldn't do well in choppy/icy snow. I am still considering them though, just because they were so great in deep powder.

I've been eyeing the Blizzard Sheeva 10 pretty hard, and there are some really great sales right now online. This ski sounds like everything I want - good in soft snow, playful, maneuverable, but still pretty stable on groomers and harder snow. The only thing I'm not sure about is the fact that I haven't been on a ski with metal before and it's quite a bit wider/stiffer than my current skis. So my question is, do you ladies who have skied the Sheeva think it could be an accessible and forgiving ski for an intermediate who likes to go fast where she's comfortable, but is a little more cautious in new situations? If so, would you suggest the 156 or 164? I'm 5'4", 135lb, and reasonably athletic. I want a ski that will help me progress and get even more confident, not one that I have to fight against.

I also looked at the Black Pearl 98, but based on reviews I'm not sure if it sounds like what I want. It sounds a little more directional and less playful, and I'm worried about its performance in powder. I'm open to any suggestions though - I'm wondering if I should consider more freeride oriented skis (maybe the Armada Trace 98, Liberty Genesis, or Line Pandora 104) because I do like to ski playfully through bumps and trees rather than at light-speed. But, I still want to be able to keep up with friends ripping down groomers. Am I hoping for too much in a single ski?

Thanks in advance y'all! :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my question is, do you ladies who have skied the Sheeva think it could be an accessible and forgiving ski for an intermediate who likes to go fast where she's comfortable, but is a little more cautious in new situations? If so, would you suggest the 156 or 164? I'm 5'4", 135lb, and reasonably athletic. I want a ski that will help me progress and get even more confident, not one that I have to fight against.

Thanks in advance y'all! :smile:
Yes, and get the 164. And, welcome!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's a fun ski! I demoed two days in Tahoe the 156. I'm 5'1 103 ish

Megnog

Diva in Training
Thanks for the help! I'm definitely leaning towards just going ahead and buying a pair! I think I just got scared off by a few reviews that said it's more of an advanced ski.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the Sheeva 10 earlier this year and LOVE them. I am a pretty solid intermediate too. These were the first skis I felt more comfortable skiing bumps, and loved them on groomers too! At least as far as I am concerned, they are not just for powder!

I have a pair I just bought ready to be mounted with bindings for next season!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I also have the Sheeva 9 and LOVE them! I even preferred them to the Sheeva 10 when demoing in powder at Jackson Hole this past season, but it might just be that I’m very comfortable on my own skis. They were that much more nimble without feeling like I lost anything in light powder. The only place I do wish they had some more oomph is in heavier crud, the tips can get pushed around a bit. The 10 could come in handy there. It’d be worthwhile to try out both in your specific terrain/region and see what you like most. I’m on the east coast and ski the Sheeva 9 as my daily driver for the most part. It does most things really good for what I ski, and then I have other skis if it’s exceptionally icy of a day etc.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Forgot to mention that I've demoed both the Sheeva 9 and Sheeva 10. Would be quite happy with both skis if I could find a 2 for 1.... or at least a deal !

MissySki

Angel Diva
Forgot to mention that I've demoed both the Sheeva 9 and Sheeva 10. Would be quite happy with both skis if I could find a 2 for 1.... or at least a deal !

I’ve been thinking of getting a second pair of the Sheeva 9 and either use it for touring or just to have for the day my current pair bites the dust. They’ve been such a game changing ski for my personal development.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am in New England, have the Sheeva 9 and demoed the Sheeva 10 for a day out at Big Sky; I was skiing my 9s and thought it might be nice to have something a bit wider since we got a bunch of new snow. I love, love my Sheeva 9 - it really does everything well. The 10 was super too, a bit less playful but if you really think you want that width still a great choice. Agree with @MissySki that every once in awhile I wish the 9 was ever so slightly beefier, but that is rare and I'm not sure it would be worth the trade-off of how fun they are in everything else. I am tempted to stow away a 2nd pair too!

Megnog

Diva in Training
So many great reviews! Sounds like I'm on the right track then.

I think I do want the extra width, although 102mm is definitely at the wider end of what I'm considering. The 9 just seems a bit narrow - it's interesting to hear it did just as well in powder though. As long as the 10 is still maneuverable through trees and bumps (which it sounds like it is), I think I'm fine with the width!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna