• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Insulated ski pants for chonky legs?

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi ladies! My current ski pants, which I think are actually snowboard pants (Liquid) that I bought on clearance three years ago, are probably toast as I've managed to tear the fabric on the legs. Also, they're white and that's just a mistake. So I'm shopping the sales but bamboozled by the sizes as they seem to be sized like wedding dresses.

Anyhow, as I'm browsing: is there a brand/style you like that has roomy thighs? I'm slim and fit, I think, but my quads hulked out of clothes before I started cycling and skiing as hobbies and now it's just ridiculous. Most waists seem to be adjustable but I need the thighs to be generously cut or I will make them look like skinny jeans. Any advice?

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I also struggle with the generous thighs compared to my waist. I second @vickie that Columbia and Obermeyer fit pretty well. My Columbia's are a bit less fitted (straighter or roomier cut I think) and the Obermeyers I have have stretch in them....sized up to fit the thighs and crank the velcro down for the waist.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Columbia seems to not do technical stuff as well -- i.e., no pass pocket, maybe no interior pockets on jackets, no pit zips -- but they allow more room thru the shoulders of jackets, so I can layer and still move freely.

Columbia pants are kind of boxy, but they fit my legs, don't sound crunchy, and have been easy to find in non-black for under $100. And their regular length is not toooo long for me at 5'2".

Columbia sizing is S-M-L-etc. Obermeyer pants may be S-M-L- also, but their jackets have numeric sizes, from what I have seen.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Agreeing with @vickie again. Got the Columbia pants at one of their outlets for $40 bucks so great value, but now that I have the Obermeyers they seem like 'snow pants' in comparison.

My Obermeyers likely have a better water column rating and the stretch gives them a more tailored look, but I didn't get them on sale so they cost 7 times as much. They came in number sizes so that probably plays into the more exacting fit as well. I love them, but can't honestly say they are 7 times better than the Columbias.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice! Fingers crossed! I ordered an Obermeyer Bliss in an 8 from Powder7, and they are an insanely bright coral. $90, not too bad, and you'll be able to see me from space.

If the size measurements are accurate they'll be big in the waist and hip but I'm hoping that means they'll give me room to move.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A little late to the game since you just ordered, but I've had luck with Burton Fly (the only style of theirs that I've found that fits my thighs) and TNF Freedom. The one thing I don't like about the Fly is that the velcro adjustment is on the inside of the waistband, making it gap oddly on the outside if you don't wear a belt with them. I have both the Freedom pants and the bibs. For the bibs I sized up to have more room to layer (and move.) So comfy! And they also come in short and long lengths.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
And my Lands End ski pants are pretty roomy, and I think they may come in plus sizes, and come in different lengths, also.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Columbia seems to not do technical stuff as well -- i.e., no pass pocket, maybe no interior pockets on jackets, no pit zips -- but they allow more room thru the shoulders of jackets, so I can layer and still move freely.

Columbia pants are kind of boxy, but they fit my legs, don't sound crunchy, and have been easy to find in non-black for under $100. And their regular length is not toooo long for me at 5'2".

Columbia sizing is S-M-L-etc. Obermeyer pants may be S-M-L- also, but their jackets have numeric sizes, from what I have seen.
Columbia cuts tend to forgiving. And many of its jackets do have what you would need: my go-to for several seasons now has been the millennium blur, which has tons of pockets inside and outside (including a pass one, which is amazing considering how old the model is) and pit zips. It’s also remarkably warm for not much bulk. I actually bought it after reading this review: https://www.theskidiva.com/gear-review-columbia-millenium-blur-jacket/

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@TNtoTaos ... I tried the LandsEnd ones and they were TOOOOOOOO roomy in the legs. I’ve literally never said that. I think it might have just been the pair I ordered, but I had to return those and that’s when I stumbled across the LL Bean ones. I hear that Flylow Sphynx are the most forgiving cut of their bibs and those are what I covet.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A little late to the game since you just ordered, but I've had luck with Burton Fly (the only style of theirs that I've found that fits my thighs) and TNF Freedom. The one thing I don't like about the Fly is that the velcro adjustment is on the inside of the waistband, making it gap oddly on the outside if you don't wear a belt with them. I have both the Freedom pants and the bibs. For the bibs I sized up to have more room to layer (and move.) So comfy! And they also come in short and long lengths.

No, please, keep the recommendations coming! I love hearing what's worked and what hasn't.

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
Mountain Hardware has worked really well for me, and I have quads and glutes from bikes and skiing. I believe they are affiliated/owned by Columbia so maybe that's why they fit more generously through the hips/thighs than other pants I have (i.e. Flylow). They are also more technical than Columbia offering Gore-Tex, venting, pocket placement, etc. Good luck! Ski pants are so hard to fit!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly