• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Insulated Capri base layer?

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I’m thinking of trying an insulated bottom instead of just my wool capri long underwear. A couple extra cold days recently had me doubling up on long underwear. It seems Marmot, Stio and Arc’teryx sell these but looking for more to look into as some of the former have review complaints about fit.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of unisex Mont Bell capri insulated bottom in addition to Icebreaker heavier weight merino capri. Both work well depending on the temperature and what I wear over them.

I love my Woolx tights. www.woolx.com The Stella (I think) are the heavy weight and I wear them as leggings or on a super cold day, as a baselayer. I mostly have worn the medium weight baselayers and they typically keep me warm enough. This week will be a challenge though with lots of skiing in very cold New England temps!

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I just ordered the Stio Fernos insulated knicker! I'll let you know how it is.
Do you wear shell pants or insulated ones?

I feel like such a wuss to want insulated base layers under insulated pants! When we were packing up at the car the other day the lady next to us pulled off her insulated Columbia pants to revel running shorts and bare legs in the 23 degree parking lot! That will never be me!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

I feel like such a wuss to want insulated base layers under insulated pants! When we were packing up at the car the other day the lady next to us pulled off her insulated Columbia pants to revel running shorts and bare legs in the 23 degree parking lot! That will never be me!

I wear insulated pants, but the sub-zero temps we've been having here are tough. I pile on the layers, and I'm hoping this will reduce that.

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
Dealing with the same thing. Michigan has been really cold and I’ve been doubling up my lower layers. I just ordered the Kari Traa down capri. I’ll let you know my thoughts when they arrive. (and I’m also a wuss. I normally wear insulated ski pants)

MissySki

Angel Diva

You are not a wuss for wearing whatever you need to wear to stay comfortable. That makes you smart and resourceful! :thumbsup:

Soujan

Angel Diva
I have the Marmot Variant Hybrid capris. I just wore them for the 2nd time this past weekend. Usually it's not cold enough for me to wear them. I normally wear insulated pants with either a Mammut fleece baselayer or the Patagonia capilene. It was -5 degrees in the morning so I wore the Marmot. I also have the Variant jacket as my midlayer that I use all the time. Just like the jacket, the pants are warm yet breathable. My legs were reasonably warm all morning. Some people complain that they don't provide a lot of mobility. I normally wear a medium. I was a bit heavier when I first got them so I did think they didn't move very well. Now that I'm a bit thinner, I think they're great. I had no problems bending in them. If you have bigger thighs, it might be an issue.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just bought the Marmot variant capri from @laine ! Will try them out in Taos where it will be single digits most likely. Way too cold for a Tahoe skier but I've done it twice before !

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I just bought the Marmot variant capri from @laine ! Will try them out in Taos where it will be single digits most likely. Way too cold for a Tahoe skier but I've done it twice before !
Unless it's overcast, even when it's single digits at night, ASA the sun comes over the mtn it usually warms up considerably, and the solar radiant energy adds a lot to that, so plan to remove layers as the day progresses. Actually, I'v often found that as soon as I start skiing I warm up, so I try not to overdress.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Unless it's overcast, even when it's single digits at night, ASA the sun comes over the mtn it usually warms up considerably, and the solar radiant energy adds a lot to that, so plan to remove layers as the day progresses. Actually, I'v often found that as soon as I start skiing I warm up, so I try not to overdress.
In 2020 when there last, it was really cold but managed.... wore many layers including a down puffy under an insulated jacket. Also wore down mittens....... I doubt I'll be overdressed wearing marmot variant capris under flylow shell bibs.....

Staying close enough to change clothes.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
In 2020 when there last, it was really cold but managed.... wore many layers including a down puffy under an insulated jacket. Also wore down mittens....... I doubt I'll be overdressed wearing marmot variant capris under flylow shell bibs.....

Staying close enough to change clothes.
I agree, that was one of the coldest times I can remember in a long time -- bought and used Boot Gloves for the first time that year, and they made a huge difference for me.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually wear full length leggings as baselayers and had been skiing with insulated pants but finally moved back to shells. Except I have to refigure my baselayers. I'm trying to not have things in my boots because I have a pretty aggressive fit, and it does seem to help, so I bought a thin pair of capri baselayers. But I'm always cold, so I was looking for insulated capris to go over. I ended up with the backcountry ones, but I'm not sure how I feel about them. They are suuuuper warm, but almost too warm for a normal day. They do have thigh zips, which I like. But the fit is weird too. I'm pretty typically a medium on the bottom, but these are pretty big around the butt and waist. They have a drawstring but theres a bit of extra bulk to fit in my pants. I don't mind, for a really cold day they are great, but I need something lighter weight for a more typical day. Maybe I'll try them without the thin baselayer under them and see if thats better.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I’ve been a lifelong insulated pants skier in New England, but this season I got “technical” w Goretex Flylow Foxy bibs, non-insulated. I skied them in 30F conditions in Dec with Hot chilly merino/nylon full length as first layer and 20 year old hot chilly synthetic fleece as second layer. I never doubled base layers before, but that worked. I purchased Marmot Variant capris for when it’s really cold and today was that day… 10-18F at Diva East at Bretton Woods. I wore them as the third base layer since I was concerned about the cold!!!! I was cozy all day. There was no problem with bunching at the waist or in boots. The marmots were above the boot top and sat just below the waist with broad compression. I’m slim thru hips and thighs (now thicker in waist with advancing age) 5’5” 140. All base layers are size Small, the Bibs are Med and they are snug across the ribs and chest. I bought the marmot Variants in small and medium because I knew I’d layer under them and wasnt sure what size would allow that. The mediums were way too roomy when I tried them on with one base under them, so I returned that pair. I think the Marmot Variant capris are well designed and effective; they run true size or slightly generous compared to other base layers.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
@ski diva have your Stio’s arrived yet? I ordered some and they arrived yesterday. Fit is good in regards to room for my thighs, but then not big in the waist and don’t think they will ride down. They fit under my insulated ski pants, but did seem slightly diaper like with double insulation in the crotch area.

@DebbieSue Do you think the Marmot Variant‘s help keep things streamlined/less bulky? (since it looks like the insulation is not located in the inner thigh area)

newboots

Angel Diva
Cheapskate version here:

I stopped at the Sierra Trading Post in W. Lebanon, NH on my way to Bretton Woods. I had two pairs of thin wool capri baselayers, but wanted more insulation. I found “ankle length” synthetic sweatpants. Fleecy and soft inside. Perfect! $14.99!

I was thinking about the insulated capris, and looked at them before I went home. But I realized, it was incredibly cold on this trip (below-zero temps and some wind) and I was very much warm enough. The shorter sweatpants pushed up without any difficulty. Money saved!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna