• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Instructor help - Lazy inside leg

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This photo reveals a lazy inside leg. This is one thing I would really like to shake this winter
Got any tips?
500x500_5_0_0.jpg

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey there Snowhot,
It is quite difficult to do MA on a still photo! Tell me what you see in this photo and by that I mean what are the symptons you see of a lazy inside ski?

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take this for what it's worth, coming from a newbie. If I saw one of my skating students doing that on a parallel turn, I'd tell them to focus on their knee and turn it outwards more, thereby creating more of an edge on that foot. Does this sound valid to you?

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't really tell by this photo but maybe I see a bit of an a-frame? Where the outside foot(downhill foot) is tipped up more on edge than the inside. Think of this Snowhot:little toe to the snow!

Not sure how the rest of the turn developed here.Got any video Snowhot?

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A drill u could do is Railroad track traverses.Start in the fall line and tip both skis equally onto there edges.Resist the urge to twist your feet and legs and just let the shape of the ski bring you through a turn.You should be able to look back and see TWO scribed lines in the snow. I see alot of clients are able to tip the downhill one leaving only one arc in the snow. Try more equal weighting of both skis.

Ski with just one foot across the hill starting with the downhill foot.Next try just using just the uphill foot. Then go back to both feet!

T

Jilly

Staff member
Both skis are not edging the same. That creates the A-frame. Batgirl has the right idea. Get the uphill knee into the hill. Tricks to do that - 1000 steps, moving across the hill alternate upper and lower ski contact on the hill. Also like tcarey suggests doing a traverse, edges only. This can also start from a snowplow and match the upper to the lower ski, like only skiing the last 1/2 of the turn. You should see those 2 arcs in the snow. I'm going to check for some other ideas. There is something about using poles, but I can't remember right now.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was hoping to get snowhot to engage here but since we have started i think another cause of A-framing could be proper boot alignement such as canting. Maybe not in Snowhot's case but I have seen it in others. If proper drills could not enhance both skis tipping equally I may have the student look into boot alignement.

One footed skiing may help here too but it is a difficult drill.Make every turn on the right foot-the turn to the left will be easy but the turn to the right is going to require commitment into the new turn.

Come on Snowhot where are u?

T

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tcarey said:
I was hoping to get snowhot to engage here but since we have started i think another cause of A-framing could be proper boot alignement such as canting. Maybe not in Snowhot's case but I have seen it in others. If proper drills could not enhance both skis tipping equally I may have the student look into boot alignement.

This ended up being my issue. No matter how hard I tried to get over on an edge, no matter what drill the instructor gave me, I just wasn't getting an edge, particularly on my right side. After some discussions with other experienced skiers, I've ended up with a cant plate on my skis, and edging has become so much easier. Not saying this is for everyone, but if nothing else works, it's definitely worth a shot.

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW (only from experience of the same prob although not to the same extent) I would say the problem isn't so much in that position as the start of the turn. As you start the turn point your old downhill knee in the direction you want to go, i.e. lead with your knee. By the time you get to where you are in the piccie, the knee will have guided you round and will be pointing more up the hill than down the hill. Highly untechnical terms there but hope you see what I mean

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad someone was able to steer you in the right direction batgirl! Boot fit is critical to upper end skiing-for that matter lower level skiing too!!

T

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tcarey said:
I was hoping to get snowhot to engage ............

Come on Snowhot where are u?

T
Sorry:o
Something came up and I had to actually do my "for pay" job. Just getting back into the office and catching up.
Give me a minute to read this through and I'll fill you in on my thoughts and feeling for my position.
And I do not have video available, or I would have gladly posted it:(

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Finally catching up with things I left earlier.

On the day the picture was taken:
What was I feeling?
Fatigue.
It was the last ski day of the year. We knew it was the end of the season so we skied even when we knew we should have stopped.

Ski conditions?
Slushy and chopped up. Intermediate slope.

My body movements:
I am used to skiing on black diamond slopes. On this day there was too much dirt exposure on the blacks so we stuck with the intermediates. I was skiing very lazily during the day and spending a lot of time just playing with my girlfriend and her kids.
At this point of the day the slush was getting worse and my legs were getting tired.

I didn't notice the lazy inside leg until I saw the pic. I feel like I need to use my inside leg better to make a nice carving turn.
Since this was the last day of the season, I was unable to take what I learned from the pic back to the slopes to put into action.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome back!!

I find that a snapshot is only a moment in time and really not the end all to MA. Maybe just the angle of the photo looks like her skis are not edged the same.It could have been corrected in a nano-second.

Skiing in slush is difficult never mind with tired legs. If the inside ski is not driving forward it could be a recipe for disaster! It can be ripped away from you at any moment sending you into whirl!

I would need to see Snowhot skiing for a least a few turns to determine if this was an ongoing isuue and take it from there.

Even so the drills I mention would still be helpful to most upper level skiers.

For those of you who visit The Epic forum I always go back to Bob Barnes's mantra Right tip to go right,left tip to go left!

Any more thoughts guys? I find this forum much better for discussion than the male orientated forums. Agree?

Terry

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Terry, I love hearing about your drills! That railroad track traverse one is a good one.

Maybe you could start a thread on those sometime?

Jilly

Staff member
Some exercises using poles.
1. With the poles behind your knees, grab the poles between your legs. The poles and your knees, and ski tips will tip together and should stay equal.
2. Lay poles on top of your knees. Same scenario. Poles and tips of skis should match. This one is alittle more visual and you will be able to see your poles.
I have video clips of these. But I'm computer illiterate. They're part of CD-ROM that the CSIA has for instructors to use.

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly:

If you want to email me the video (if you're allowed), I can use my Photobucket account to post it here.

BatGirl

Jilly

Staff member
Not working Batgirl, but I'll get the wiz-kid on it tomorrow. I have this on a CD-ROM. So BJ will figure it out!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna