• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Instructor and Tuning recommendations in Lake Tahoe?

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi All,

I'm itching for a mid-season lesson and I'm looking for instructor recommendations around Lake Tahoe. I'm hoping to find someone at Squaw/Alpine because of my Ikon Pass, but don't want to miss someone amazing if they live at another resort. I would also love any insight into the intermediate WOW (women of winter) program at Squaw/Alpine. I've been tempted to join one of the day clinics, but do worry I would struggle to keep up with the group once they venture into ungroomed territory. For reference, my current favorite part of Squaw is Shirley Lake.

My goal is to dial in general technique and add new skills to expand ability all over the mountain. I want to be confident in a wider variety of conditions, not just the freshly groomed snow. So, choppy/heavy deeper snow, powder, icy patches, and, if we have time, bumps. I don't want to get too broad too fast as I want to build proper techniques and muscle memory so I have a solid base on which to build. In other words, I'm not looking to ski KT-22, but would love to bomb down the Women's Downhill run.

I'd prefer a female instructor, but am totally open to an amazing male instructor as well.

On the tuning front, my bases aren't flat so I need more than the basic edge and wax. But, I want to make sure I'm working with a solid tech. So, any thoughts you might have on shops in North Lake Tahoe or the Bay Area would be very welcome. I'm considering the Start Haus in Truckee.

Let me know what you know :smile:

Reactions: RJ*

marzNC

Angel Diva
WOW sounds like a neat program. Have you been skiing the ungroomed areas of Shirley Lake? From the description, sounds like an intermediate who is only skiing blues at Squaw/Alpine would definitely fit in. Shirley trails aren't exactly the easiest blues at Squaw.

2. Intermediate to Advanced Skier Session: Designed for women confident on all blue runs who want to improve their technique on blue runs or break through to skiing black diamond runs

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Start Haus has an excellent reputation so I'm sure that would be great. @santacruz skier any suggestions for a good location for a full tune?
Usually get my skis tuned at Northstar demo and tune shop or at powder house at heavenly .
Starthaus in truckee has great reputation but I don't know firsthand.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I definitely agree the Start Haus has a great reputation, so I think I'll book an appt with them. I'll let you know how it goes :D

@marzNC I've explored a little of the ungroomed parts of Shirley and that's what makes me really want to drop into a lesson to expand my technique to handle a wider variety of snow conditions. I can get through them, but don't enjoy it as much as I could. And, the first day over there this winter I encountered a bunch of moguls they added at the bottom of the 5th run which was a dealbreaker for me. I don't like that feeling, and I certainly don't want that to happen during a WOW day clinic. That's why I'm not sure I'm ready for it. Of course, if I was good at it, I wouldn't need the clinic... and so my mind goes round and round ;)

mustski

Angel Diva
Just let them know that when they are breaking into groups. It is likely that you won’t be the only one wanting to work on that. I know thst’s WhatI’m working on this season. I lived the Shirley Lake area whenI was there in December. It’s perfect for working on off piste and bumps.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At Squaw, I recommend Lynn Douglas.

I've done the WOW morning clinics at both Squaw and Alpine for several years, and the WOW camp . You will be fine. They've accommodated people who don't quite fit the "intermediate" designation, but you sound well within it. If you are unsure of where you fit, get to the meeting location early and chat with the instructors to give them a sense of your ability. They also spend about 2 runs sorting out groups. If there are a large number of participants, they start sorting based on "attitude" -- there have definitely been times when skilled skiers could have been in higher level groups, but they needed extra nudges to make the first turn.

I can put you directly in touch with the WOW instructors/coordinators if you want to email someone.

Btw, at weekends like this upcoming one, it is excellent to be in a ski school group skipping lines. :smile:

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @Pequenita! I had Lynn Douglas on my short list and it's nice to see a personal recommendation. I also appreciate your thoughts on the WOW clinic. I really want to try it out so if you would pass along contact info for the instructors/coordinators I would appreciate it. Also, it bums me out that the Olympic Lady lift is always closed... not that I'm ready for that yet, but I do keep my eye on it and it's never open :/ Thanks again for sharing your knowledge :smile:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi All,

I'm itching for a mid-season lesson and I'm looking for instructor recommendations around Lake Tahoe. I'm hoping to find someone at Squaw/Alpine because of my Ikon Pass, but don't want to miss someone amazing if they live at another resort. I would also love any insight into the intermediate WOW (women of winter) program at Squaw/Alpine. I've been tempted to join one of the day clinics, but do worry I would struggle to keep up with the group once they venture into ungroomed territory. For reference, my current favorite part of Squaw is Shirley Lake.

My goal is to dial in general technique and add new skills to expand ability all over the mountain. I want to be confident in a wider variety of conditions, not just the freshly groomed snow. So, choppy/heavy deeper snow, powder, icy patches, and, if we have time, bumps. I don't want to get too broad too fast as I want to build proper techniques and muscle memory so I have a solid base on which to build. In other words, I'm not looking to ski KT-22, but would love to bomb down the Women's Downhill run.

I'd prefer a female instructor, but am totally open to an amazing male instructor as well.

On the tuning front, my bases aren't flat so I need more than the basic edge and wax. But, I want to make sure I'm working with a solid tech. So, any thoughts you might have on shops in North Lake Tahoe or the Bay Area would be very welcome. I'm considering the Start Haus in Truckee.

Let me know what you know :smile:
@Pequenita 's recommendation for an instructor is good, otherwise Julie Matises, El Furtney, Fran Tone....Tons of amazing female instructors at Squaw/Alpine

As for tuning, Start Haus has always done a good job and is centrally located.
We use Smoothrides on Alder Creek Road for all of our tuning needs. Coop does a fantastic job of keeping our demo fleet in prime condition.

I work a couple days a week at Blue Zone sports in Truckee, if you care to stop by and say hi.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @SnowHot :smile: Sounds like I'm in good hands at Squaw for instructors, can't wait! Also, I might be going up mid week next Tuesday or Wednesday. If you're around, I'll stop by.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @SnowHot :smile: Sounds like I'm in good hands at Squaw for instructors, can't wait! Also, I might be going up mid week next Tuesday or Wednesday. If you're around, I'll stop by.
I usually work Tuesdays but may have a split shift so I could, potentially, get out to take a few runs at Squaw or Alpine during my mid day break.

On my list of instructors, you probably won't get El Furtney because she's got some fancy title I can't remember and gets stuck in the office a fair amount, but she's awesome.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice! Let me finalize my plans and I'll let you know my schedule once it's real :smile:

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
El looks like she's the Managing Director of the Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Ski & Snowboard School... fancy indeed! She sounds great, but you're probably right. Not out on the snow as much anymore.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get all my ski tuning done at Start Haus and have always had great service. It's a bit out of the way to go there (I live in Carson City) but their level of service and their friendliness makes the drive worth it, in my opinion.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I couldn't agree more @mahgnillig! I took my skis in for a base grind, edge, and wax on Tuesday. Super friendly and helpful staff and an excellent tune. 2 sets of skis turned around in one day. The level of knowledge of the staff is top shelf because everyone in there is an expert. I was helped by a delightful woman, I wish I had gotten her name. I'll most certainly be back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly