• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Instant Pot

Jenny

Angel Diva
So, I know that if I use the Natural Release on my Instant Pot that the food inside keeps cooking while it’s pressuring down. I also just made the first recipe that called for the Quick Release, and I’m not a fan. What a mess!

Does anyone have an idea of how long to adjust the cook time if I wanted to make the same thing, but use the Natural Release instead? I'm not having any luck Googling it yet.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm new to instant pot cooking. I have timed the natural release vs. quick release, and it takes @15 minutes for the natural release to finish. Probably doesn't answer your question, but best I got.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I wonder if the time is the same whether it's cooking or pressuring down? So, if I’m supposed to cook it for 15 minutes and the quick release, if I cooked it for 10 and then let it natural release for 5 and then finished with a quick release if it's equivalent? I suppose I can always just try it and see - can always power up for more cook time if needed.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I also just made the first recipe that called for the Quick Release, and I’m not a fan. What a mess!

I made a butternut squash soup with maple syrup in it with a recipe that called for quick release once... agreed, not a fan.

steepsanddeeps

Certified Ski Diva
Instant pots and skiing go together like peas and carrots. So great to put a delay start meal in before you hit the sloaps and come home to a hot delicious (and not dried out a la slow cooker) dinner.

newboots

Angel Diva
Okay. Here's how I do a quick release, and it doesn't scare me or wreck the kitchen.

I use a dish towel or tea towel, something with a little substance to it, not filmy. I fold it into quarters, and sort of throw it over the valve. Then I take the handle of my wooden spoon and poke the valve until it opens. Sometimes I have to hold it open. The steam and maybe a bit of food is trapped on the dish towel, I do not get burned, and we are released! Cue the music.

You can do this, @Jenny. You have conquered much more than this out on the mountain.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Okay. Here's how I do a quick release, and it doesn't scare me or wreck the kitchen.

I use a dish towel or tea towel, something with a little substance to it, not filmy. I fold it into quarters, and sort of throw it over the valve. Then I take the handle of my wooden spoon and poke the valve until it opens. Sometimes I have to hold it open. The steam and maybe a bit of food is trapped on the dish towel, I do not get burned, and we are released! Cue the music.

You can do this, @Jenny. You have conquered much more than this out on the mountain.
LOL, you've never seen me in a kitchen! I've kind of compromised by letting it natural release for 10 minutes and then doing the quick release. Yes to the towel or some sort of cover, and yes to the long handled spoon!

newboots

Angel Diva
LOL, you've never seen me in a kitchen! I've kind of compromised by letting it natural release for 10 minutes and then doing the quick release. Yes to the towel or some sort of cover, and yes to the long handled spoon!

I encourage you to use this method, rather than trying to mess with the recipes. I love using the Instant Pot, but I find it's nearly impossible to mess with the recipes. Unless I've tried it and it was absurdly too long or too short, I follow the recipe. I don't want to do that many experiments.

I would have no idea how to answer your natural vs. quick release question.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh! And I like to place it near the stove and turn on the fan!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I encourage you to use this method, rather than trying to mess with the recipes. I love using the Instant Pot, but I find it's nearly impossible to mess with the recipes. Unless I've tried it and it was absurdly too long or too short, I follow the recipe. I don't want to do that many experiments.

I would have no idea how to answer your natural vs. quick release question.
We used one recipe that I was SURE going into it was absurdly wrong on the cooking time. Sure enough, had to start it back up again to finish it off. I think maybe she used thawed meat, and we were using frozen, but her recipe SAID frozen. It couldn’t have been though. First time I’ve stuck a meat thermometer in a roast and had the temp go down!

newboots

Angel Diva
We used one recipe that I was SURE going into it was absurdly wrong on the cooking time. Sure enough, had to start it back up again to finish it off. I think maybe she used thawed meat, and we were using frozen, but her recipe SAID frozen. It couldn’t have been though. First time I’ve stuck a meat thermometer in a roast and had the temp go down!

Yikes!

I only use recipes from trusted sources for the IP. Inexperienced recipe writers make mistakes, guess at the weight of their meat, don't test repeatedly, and with the IP we can't see what's going on and adjust accordingly. And anybody can publish a recipe online! I do use great websites whose authors clearly have expertise (smittenkitchen.com, kitchn, epicurious, and the like).

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yeah, I usually try to get a consensus recipe by comparing different sites, but this was for a round roast and it's surprisingly hard to find recipes for that. Everything seems to be for chuck roast and I have rounds from our last cow that I need to use up.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Anybody have a good pot roast recipe for the instant pot? I have a 3 lb chuck roast that I want to cook for Christmas.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
There are tons of IP websites, blogs and FB groups that might answer your question.

I am looking for the "perfect" rice IP method....anyone?

I have two lentil recipes that are lovely and in our regular rotation here. Fast, easy and tasty, anyone want to see them?

newboots

Angel Diva
I gave up on rice. It's easy enough on the stove.

I'm 100% in favor of lentil recipes, though!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Never done rice in it.

And yes, please on the lentils recipes.

I’m getting a bit more adventurous with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965