• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Inspiration for skiers over 50, or 60, or 70+

shadoj

Angel Diva
Last week I met an 85 year old man who was skiing his second day after a 50 year hiatus. This week he came with his own new boots for day 3. His smile said it all - he was having so much fun!
I rode up with a gentleman visiting from Guatemala (kids are still in MN) over the holiday break -- was just about to turn 80! Moved there because the retired folks in Arizona were too "old" and boring. He sticks to gentle groomers, and tries not to fall down too much, since getting up is more work than it used to be. He was having a blast!

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Last week I met an 85 year old man who was skiing his second day after a 50 year hiatus. This week he came with his own new boots for day 3. His smile said it all - he was having so much fun!
This makes me smile so much. I'm a late starter and I love that others are finding it again or are doing it over 50. Life is too short to sit in front of the computer screen or TV to whittle the hours away.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My Taos instructor this time, Derek, is 75 this season. A friend who is 75 and an intermediate had the 86yo instructor, Stuart, who Deb Armstrong interviewed last month. There are a few other over-70 instructors teaching this season.

There are a lot of over 70 skiers at Taos. Especially on warmer days with clear skies. Not so many when visibility isn't good because it's snowing and/or there is a lot of blowing snow.

The Wild Olde Bunch at Alta include quite a few 80 year olds. Most don't stop skiing off-piste most of the time until they are about 85 or even 90.

marzNC

Angel Diva
They are being filmed at Taos. I recognize the terrain since I just got back from there.
The man is Max Killinger, a former Taos Ski School Director.

Nov 2018
" . . .
Killinger’s students are loyal. Some have been requesting him for decades. He is loyal to them, too. He is still in contact with Helga Tarver, a 98-year-old former student. He took her skiing on super-expert Al’s Run when she was 90.
. . ."

Last edited:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm currently mid 50s. I don't feel old. Well... sometimes. My friend's husband just died and after the funeral she said she thinks she wants to get the skis back out. She's 79 and has two knee replacements and a hip replacement. She has skied since those but hasn't skied since COVID. She's a rock star!!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is plenty of inspiration is this thread about the 70 Plus Ski Club.

I had a very good time chatting with 70 Plus members and their "younger" SOs or guests at Nub's Nob in Michigan in January 2024. That's one of the annual gatherings.

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
I just skied in Colorado for 3 days with a family friend who is 89. And she broke a knee last summer by tripping in a parking lot. Our trip represented her first time skiing this season and the first time skiing since doing rehab -- she has a hard time finding contemporaries to ski with her -- but she hopes to continue once/week for the rest of the season. She needed more breaks than I did but is going strong!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna