• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Inline skating

You gals are making me miss my inline skates, good exercise for skiing? Perhaps I should pick up a used pair?

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:frown:AAhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I had to send those back. They didn't fit me well enough to discover what I could have done with them.
Bummer! I've been eyeing RB Twisters, to "up my game"; I've tried them on, and they fit OK, but there was a possible pressure spot that held me back. I might try them again, but I was disappointed.
You gals are making me miss my inline skates, good exercise for skiing? Perhaps I should pick up a used pair?
Definitely reduces my whining about the absence of snow, and strengthens almost all of the right muscles. (Incidentally, don't watch the GNAR movie just before going skating.)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Was looking at my old k2 in line skates yesterday as I was taking my mountain bike out for a ride! It's been a year since I have been on my inlines. Need to get back into it!

Does anyone use ski poles or just poles when they inline skate? I'd often see folks here and there on the boardwalk in Newport Beach, CA using poles while inline skating. Not sure if that's more of a cross country ski thing or if it helps with the motion of poling while downhill skiing?

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't tried poles, either, but then I only skate indoors. I imagine you'd need those tip things? (I do move my hands like I am planting alpine poles when I'm carving.)

I also put new wheels on my skates, 80A instead of 78A hardness. They roll significantly faster. Yikes! Be careful what you wish for!
Unknown.jpeg

I've bent the seals on some of the bearings in the process, so the wheels free-spin a lot less, but still I'm much faster. Goes to show that free spin isn't an indicator of rolling resistance at load.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone use ski poles or just poles when they inline skate? I'd often see folks here and there on the boardwalk in Newport Beach, CA using poles while inline skating. Not sure if that's more of a cross country ski thing or if it helps with the motion of poling while downhill skiing?
I've used both downhill poles while practicing slalom-type turns around cones, and cross country poles while fitness skating. Holy Crap, though!! You can get FLYING by doing that!! Also, it's one of the best full body aerobic workouts ever (besides winter skate skiing)!!

I've used both downhill poles while practicing slalom-type turns around cones, and cross country poles while fitness skating. Holy Crap, though!! You can get FLYING by doing that!! Also, it's one of the best full body aerobic workouts ever (besides winter skate skiing)!!

Thanks. I now have something additional to do in the off season, yay :smile:

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got a pair of these on sale. I think they are 2015 model.

371611_371611_1.jpeg
Rollerblade Twister 80 "urban" inlines.

The shell is stiff and makes it feel small, but I got a pair to match my Mondo size, and it fits perfectly; toes do not touch when weight is forward. I have narrow/thin feet, but there is some room for people with wider feet. My big toenails tend to point up, so I'll have to keep them short.

A bit hard to put on, but there is a nice handle in the back that helps. Ratchet straps or the laces do not have to be too tight for the skates to really hold on to your feet. The cuffs are hard to bend, almost like ski boots.

The wheels are very close together, and so the wheelbase is shorter than other inlines with 80mm wheels. Very maneuverable. Almost scary maneuverable. :becky: 85A durometer means harder wheels, faster, but some sacrifice in traction on indoor tracks; they are really meant for concrete and asphalt. The wheels do not have any rocker or camber. Completely flat.

The skates come with one brake (not installed), hex key, and black laces for the pink-averse. Even with the black laces, though, there is a spot of red on the bottom and a spot of pink on the latch.

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 17.16.26.png

The diagonal strap makes it tricky to tie the laces. The laces stay put pretty well, so one could keep them untied, and tuck them under the diagonal strap.

I have a pressure point right below the ankle bones, and the tongue bites a bit when tightened. I assume these will resolve as the skates break in.

I love them. I might even keep the pink lace.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone out there do any inline skating? I'm thinking of taking it up. But I've only looked at people on YouTube doing it, so don't exactly know how to get started.

But it seems to have some similarities to skiing. What do people know? Has anyone here done this?

Hey, this September I went to Boston for their annual 'Skate Boston' event! Do you skate with the Inline Club of Boston?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope. I never took it up, just was interested at one point. I do trail-running in the summer instead.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not familiar... but a mice lover anyway!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Bump!

I’ve been contemplating doing some inline skating this offseason, but I’m not sure where to start on skates to buy or technique. I used to ice skate competitively as a kid, so hoping this might help even though it was a looooong time ago.

Any tips for a newbie? There are so many skates, and I’m not sure where I’ll be able to try much on. Rollerblade online has a few “skate to ski” crosstraining models listed, but I’m not sure if that is a necessary expenditure or not. What are the main things I want to look out for in a boot and wheel size etc.? Do you size with mondo like your ski boots? I have tricky ski boot feet.. :(

I live at the end of a cul de sac, so I figure the flat round spot and road leading to it should be a good place to start since it’s very low traffic and smooth. Or is starting inside and/or taking a lesson a better idea? I do have knee and elbow pads from bike riding, will those work or are there specific ones for skating? How about wrist guards?

I know, the season is definitely not over for me, but finding the need to plan for when it is!

Last edited by a moderator:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you happen to be a skate size 6, there's someone with a free pair with protective gear in Framingham (on CL)

MissySki

Angel Diva
If you happen to be a skate size 6, there's someone with a free pair with protective gear in Framingham (on CL)

Darn, I wish! Assuming the sizing as anything similiar to street shoe sizing, (which may not be the case at all?) I’m an 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly