• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Inline skating

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone out there do any inline skating? I'm thinking of taking it up. But I've only looked at people on YouTube doing it, so don't exactly know how to get started.

But it seems to have some similarities to skiing. What do people know? Has anyone here done this?

skiOR

Diva in Training
I'm just now getting into inline skating and I LOVE it! Check out www.getrolling.com -- Liz Miller is an avid alpine skier and expert inline skater. I bought some K2 Celenas -- maybe a little too much for a beginner, but my 1/2 hours yesterday at the local rink proved I can stay on top of them and not kill myself! My husband just bought some Rollerblades -- he's going to use ski poles with them. And yes, there are quite a few similarities to downhill skiing. I am hooked and can't wait to go again. There's a ton of info on the internet. I am hoping to take the K2's out on the street for fitness skating. Good luck!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check other threads here, too. We've had discussions about skate buying and how to get started a couple of times.

skiOR

Diva in Training
Thanks! I noticed after I posted that this was an old thread... but then, that's what happens when you're up at 4:30am... and I spent 1-1/2 hours on those skates, not 1/2 hour... geez! Thanks for the reply!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm reviving another dormant thread. :tongue: Seems there aren't that many Rollerbladers here?

I took up inline skates, actually, to get myself back into shape for skiing. I hadn't exercised much for many years, so I needed some aerobics and strength. I started out with rental quads, but, when time came to buy my own, I opted for the inlines; I learned to ice skate on speed skates, so the movements were more familiar to me.

Now that ski season is over for real for me (we were gonna go today, but a kid got sick!), to assuage my grief, I went back to the rink today. The surprising thing: I'm out of shape! For skating that is. All sorts of muscles ache and are crampy that I didn't know could be achy and crampy. Apparently, I haven't been using these while skiing. I'm also out of breath a bit more easily now; apparently, all those long lift rides helped me recover my breath between runs. Or, perhaps, carving is conserving enough energy that I'm not straining any more. Or, I'm trying to skate faster than before, now that I've discovered the joy of carving on ice, and I don't have gravity to help me charge.

And I'm noticing techniques of skating that are different from those of skiing. When turning, for instance, the weight comes off the outside skate, and the outside skate goes forward and inward. No wonder my inside ski leg tries to stay vertical. Also, I now have enough balance to keep my hands behind my back when skating; when skiing, they need to stay forward. In skating, I'm trying to keep my feet closer together, working toward being able to have one foot in front of the other. Skis, they need to be a bit farther apart!

It's also interesting to see similarities. Shin-on-tongue is giving me a new level of confidence in both skiing and skating. Upper-lower body isolation is a key to a lot of challenges in both. I borrowed ski boot fitting techniques to have my skates fit better, too! My right turns are a little less certain in both; it could be body asymmetry, but it could be psychological, since most of my recent falls have been just before or during a right turn, and the "regular" skating direction consists of left turns only.

Otherwise, nevertheless, it's been a very good exercise. I am stronger, last longer, and have better balance. The best part is that I'm not afraid of other people any more.

I've had a pair of Bladerunner Pro 80, which are cheap, but have sucky bearings and a small camber that makes turning difficult. I've kept them because they are for exercise, after all, and sucky bearings mean more work means more exercise. I might, however, soon opt for a city- or hocky-style skates with rockers, since they will let me move more like I'm carving on skis.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fluffy Kitty I also use roller blading to stay in ski shape..... try to do a 3 mi (flat) sidewalk / parking lot at least once a week. I do try to mix it up, skate/ one foot/ carve etc.... I think its a great way to stay in shape and doesn't kill my knees like running.....

dianakate

Angel Diva
Hi, fellow inline skaters! I have been inline skating for exercise for many years. I used to run when I was younger but I messed up my knees because I ran through injuries (young and invincible and all that..). I took up inline skating because I was tired of being relegated to the gym and missed being able to exercise outdoors.

I only took up skiing this year and I believe that one of the reasons that I progressed so quickly was because of the inline skating. I usually skate 10 - 12 miles around one of the reservoirs in town a few times a week when weather is nice. I have only ever seen 1 other inline skater in many years!

I had a pair of Rollerblade skates for many years, not sure which model. They were good but the ankle support was lacking. This year I got K2 Alexis X Pro skates which I like overall, but the lacing system requires more frequent tightening than my old skates.

And getting outside in the sunshine inline skating has definitely helped with the post-ski season sadness!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have similar K2s boa/ankle cuff and velcro. Not many in-line skaters here either but a couple of roller skaters.... and yes I think there is a connection between the parallel stance of skating and skiing....although I now tend to "ski" my skates - ie more carving with both feet on the ground....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@dianakate BTW -- the only time I have eaten sh*t in the last 15 years was because that little "release" button you have on the inside of the K2 skate (for the upper cuff plastic ratchet strap) hooked on to a little piece of plastic left on the other skate. Please make sure that you don't have anything that you could hook onto and keep those strings tucked in your boot. The probability is so slim (I think I had over 300 days on the skates when that happened) but thought I would mention it as we have the same system.

Jilly

Staff member
Guess I should replace my Salomon's!!

I need to wait for the city to sweep the trail. And the river to recede from part of it!!

dianakate

Angel Diva
Good to know. It does bug me how you are left with this big loop of laces after you tighten up the skates. They don't tuck into the tops without working their way back out again. My Rollerblades had this cool thing you pulled on the side that tightened them up and nothing was left loose. I have thought about going back to these, but they are really so broken down the support just isn't there. Plus I just invested in these new ones so I am determined to be happy with them :wink:

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a bad knee, too! I can bike, skate, and ski, but I can't walk or run, and it's hard to go down stairs.

My skates have ankle straps that also cover/gather up the laces. There is an odd pressure spot where the rivet holds the strap in place, and I've had to reshape the shell using dowels and many repeats with the hair dryer! Putting in extra insole not only fixed the fit, but also moved the pressure spot to where I don't have a bone.

Last edited:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the K2 Celena skates also. The little lacing toggle underneath the outer top layer of the tongue is really helpful for pulling those laces tight. I just wind the slack around the toggle (like winding a thread) and tuck it into the cuff. Then to remove the skate, I unwind the lace to loosen and release the ratchet and the skate comes off same as a laced ski boot.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got back out on my skates last spring for the first time in years (finally having the neuroma on my right foot under control allowed this) and am anxiously awaiting the street sweeper's cruise down the section of the White Pine Trail in town. :bounce:

dianakate

Angel Diva
The little lacing toggle underneath the outer top layer of the tongue is really helpful for pulling those laces tight. I just wind the slack around the toggle (like winding a thread) and tuck it into the cuff.

Oh my goodness, I did not even undo the velcro on the tongue so I completely missed that toggle! I used it yesterday and it made a HUGE difference, the laces stayed tight the whole time and everything was tucked in. Thank you for that tip!!

I got back out on my skates last spring for the first time in years (finally having the neuroma on my right foot under control allowed this) and am anxiously awaiting the street sweeper's cruise down the section of the White Pine Trail in town. :bounce:

Ugh, neuroma. I have one of those and it was completely debilitating for the first year. Glad it has gotten better for you!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In-line skates are great for practicing in the off season. I did a lot of pre-season skating last year and felt much better prepared. I used ski specific skating exercises from this website. https://harbskisystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130&Itemid=356
Cool drills! I just can't get my skates to turn by tilting, though. Do everyone else's skates "carve" easily? Or am I missing something?

I was looking at Rollerblade Twister, which I think are more maneuverable than what I have. Or, I could get smaller wheels for the front and the back?

dianakate

Angel Diva
When I think of carving on skates, it is more of how you complete the push. Push from your heel and almost make a "C" shape before lifting up. You can do this also without lifting your foot up, which is helpful on a crowded trail when you are passing people. I really don't turn much at all on my skates unless it is to turn around so I can skate in the other direction and when I do I just tilt them and lift the inside skate up a bit. But it is a wide turn and very slow! Now I want to try some of these drills!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I have a bad knee, too! I can bike, skate, and ski, but I can't walk or run, and it's hard to go down stairs.

This above describes me exactly @Fluffy Kitty!

One year we had no snow in the southeast before the Christmas holidays. While visiting my parents in southern Florida, I went rollerblading daily. After New Year's, ski season started with a race weekend and I was wayyyyy ahead of the others because rollerblading is such a great cross training! I haven't anything else as good for ski season prep!

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dumb question here...do you just pick any sidewalk/trail in town and skate? Do you go on the streets in your neighborhood? On our streets, the pavement is old so I would imagine they wouldnt glide smoothly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly