• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Injury caused by a Beaver Creek Ski Instructor

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wednesday I skied at Snowbird. A Beaver Creek Ski Instructor asked to join us on a quad lift. There were 3 of us so plenty of room to get off. When we slid off he caught the back of my left ski and pulled me down the ramp. Of course, I fell. My chronically injured left leg was twisted up with the ski. Fortunately, my SO undid my binding so my leg did not get any more of a twist. Was able to stand up ok but had a light burning pain in my knee. Found a ski patrol at the restaurant so he checked out my knee. Said the injury was a mild strain in the Pes Anserine muscles. Encouraged me to go ahead a ski which I did. Also noticed a slight pain in my ankle and it hurt when I put on my shoe. Both knee and ankle were achy while sleeping. Got up yesterday morning, no swelling in knee but foot was swollen and black and blue! Swelling was mostly around top of foot and around/underneath the medial ankle bone.

Got some Kinesiology Tape and applied it to my ankle and knee. Slept well last night but knee was stiff when I got up in the middle of the night. This morning the swelling in my foot is mostly gone but still some purple around the arch on the inside of my foot. Knee feels pretty good although the muscles in my leg feel sore. So far no need for pain medication. Just feeling frustrated because I haven't skied the Utah resorts in years and my trip is cut short because of an injury.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wednesday I skied at Snowbird. A Beaver Creek Ski Instructor asked to join us on a quad lift. There were 3 of us so plenty of room to get off. When we slid off he caught the back of my left ski and pulled me down the ramp. Of course, I fell. My chronically injured left leg was twisted up with the ski. Fortunately, my SO undid my binding so my leg did not get any more of a twist. Was able to stand up ok but had a light burning pain in my knee. Found a ski patrol at the restaurant so he checked out my knee. Said the injury was a mild strain in the Pes Anserine muscles. Encouraged me to go ahead a ski which I did. Also noticed a slight pain in my ankle and it hurt when I put on my shoe. Both knee and ankle were achy while sleeping. Got up yesterday morning, no swelling in knee but foot was swollen and black and blue! Swelling was mostly around top of foot and around/underneath the medial ankle bone.

Got some Kinesiology Tape and applied it to my ankle and knee. Slept well last night but knee was stiff when I got up in the middle of the night. This morning the swelling in my foot is mostly gone but still some purple around the arch on the inside of my foot. Knee feels pretty good although the muscles in my leg feel sore. So far no need for pain medication. Just feeling frustrated because I haven't skied the Utah resorts in years and my trip is cut short because of an injury.
The instructor stayed around to make sure I was ok but then he said, "I always tell my beginners not to snow plow when they get off the lift." I don't know what happened but I don't snowplow off the lift!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear that! I hope you will have a speedy recovery but listen to your body. Only you know if you are in pain or not, so don’t force yourself!
Ski instructors are not always better skiers. I took a week long lesson once with an instructor who kept falling while showing us different drills. I have never seen anyone fall so much, let along while teaching!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski instructors are not always better skiers. I took a week long lesson once with an instructor who kept falling while showing us different drills. I have never seen anyone fall so much, let along while teaching!

Ugh. So sorry to read about your very unfortunate injury @Little Lightning.

If I had an instructor falling that often, at least I'd gain a bit more comfortable in my own inability to manage those darn drills. I'm terrible at drills during lessons!

Christy

Angel Diva
The instructor stayed around to make sure I was ok but then he said, "I always tell my beginners not to snow plow when they get off the lift." I don't know what happened but I don't snowplow off the lift!

Oh, boy. I was thinking, well, I guess we all make a mistake or space out or whatever (I guess – – I'm not the world's greatest skier but somehow I have managed to never take anyone out getting off the lift ). But that comment, putting the blame on you! What a jerk.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Oh, boy. I was thinking, well, I guess we all make a mistake or space out or whatever (I guess – – I'm not the world's greatest skier but somehow I have managed to never take anyone out getting off the lift ). But that comment, putting the blame on you! What a jerk.
That was my knee-jerk reaction, as well.

Hope you heal quickly!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh boy - OUCH. :frown:
And --- :mad2:
Pretty similar accident happened to me on a quad lift unloading ramp 5 years ago early Feb. Our pick-up 4th, on the far right of the chair, decided to hook a sharp left upon unloading the chair (????), taking me down and dragging me. Just like yours. When the logical direction is clearly GO STRAIGHT. If you then want to go left, circle back!

I think my ACL's were at their highest limit of stretch before tear. Legs were hugely bruised at the knees. And I did suffer a crack to the coccyx bone from hitting the icy ramp.

I hobble-skied my way down to the base, not wanting a sled. Turned in my season pass (2014) with doctor letter but was able to resume (skiing elsewhere) by late March. Gingerly.

Feeling your pain and frustration!
Heal well.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh boy - OUCH. :frown:
And --- :mad2:
Pretty similar accident happened to me on a quad lift unloading ramp 5 years ago early Feb. Our pick-up 4th, on the far right of the chair, decided to hook a sharp left upon unloading the chair (????), taking me down and dragging me. Just like yours. When the logical direction is clearly GO STRAIGHT. If you then want to go left, circle back!

I think my ACL's were at their highest limit of stretch before tear. Legs were hugely bruised at the knees. And I did suffer a crack to the coccyx bone from hitting the icy ramp.

I hobble-skied my way down to the base, not wanting a sled. Turned in my season pass (2014) with doctor letter but was able to resume (skiing elsewhere) by late March. Gingerly.

Feeling your pain and frustration!
Heal well.
Yikes! Last year I had a kid cut me off like that but...Dad was there. Kid got a lecture on how to correctly get off the chair and not cut other skiers off. :smile:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for your encouragement. I'm concerned that I might have re-injured the peroneal tendon that I've been dealing with the last 2 ski seasons. 1st season to ski without ankle/leg and last year's shoulder pain. Good news is I'm a lot stronger than 2 years ago so maybe I'll heal faster. I'm getting a massage on Sunday and hopefully working out on Monday. All my hard work to get stronger certainly paid off by preventing a worse injury. Plus, I missed some good snow the last couple of days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly