• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Injured ski buddies, not really feeling it, what to do?

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before this season I saw myself exclusively as a solo skier. I didn't think I'd really like skiing with anyone, and liked being able to do my own thing. This past season though, I made a couple friends who have basically gone with me 90% of the time. They're so fun and I have had a blast this season. But in one doozy of a ski day they both got injured, and badly so. One friend (who got separated from us) tore an ACL, and within minutes of getting a call about that, my other friend fractured her shin. Totally separate incidents.

It's been a couple weeks since this happened, but my enthusiasm for skiing has hit a new low. The car rides feel lonely, the lift rides feel too quiet, and now I'm skiing more cautiously than ever. Should I take a break? Or just try to push through?

Christy

Angel Diva
For me, because of the time spent, hassle factor, potential for injury, etc, if I'm not feeling it, I don't go. But it's sort of a "know thyself" situation. If not going means you spend a blah day watching tv or whatever and don't go to bed feeling great about your day, maybe you do push through and end up happy that you did. But if you have other hobbies or fun/productive things to do, why not do something else that sounds more fun?

Or maybe make it condition dependent. If conditions sound great, maybe push yourself. If not, don't.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's been a couple weeks since this happened, but my enthusiasm for skiing has hit a new low. The car rides feel lonely, the lift rides feel too quiet, and now I'm skiing more cautiously than ever. Should I take a break? Or just try to push through?
Oof, not an easy decision. From what you've said, taking a break makes perfect sense. Too many days skiing cautiously doesn't sound like a good idea.

That said, if there is going to be a good spring skiing day, perhaps head out with the idea of taking it easy, enjoying the sun, and putting a good finish on the season. Just a thought.

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
Crank up the volume on some good tunes and sing along in the car to the slopes, focus on some easier runs and work on some technique - loads of good drills to be found on YouTube - I spent time recently paying attention to my inside ski and knee to great success and, without being “that guy” strike up some convoluted on the lifts. You may regain the joy of solo.

groomer groover

Certified Ski Diva
Crank up the volume on some good tunes and sing along in the car to the slopes, focus on some easier runs and work on some technique - loads of good drills to be found on YouTube - I spent time recently paying attention to my inside ski and knee to great success and, without being “that guy” strike up some convoluted on the lifts. You may regain the joy of solo.

All of this is great advice. I worked quite a bit on my technique today. Although it was sunny and the snow was great, there weren't many people about, and I could really relax and do some drills. It was peaceful and productive and wonderful.

I hope you'll be able to finish out the season on a high note, whichever way you choose.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly