• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Indoor Sky Diving

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Has anyone tried indoor sky diving in a wind tunnel?

See: www.iflyworld.com

Costco is having a special where you get 2 short flights for $39. This is a substantial discount from the normal price of $59. Groupon may also run occasional specials for this experience.

Fun? Scary? Easy? Hard? Potential for knee or other bodily damage?

We are thinking of trying it and would love some first hand reports.

Also, if any soCal Divas want to join us, we could encourage each other. :eek:

ride_ski

Angel Diva
DO IT!. We have a wind tunnel in my home town (very dangerous). DH and I have gone may times- somewhere around 6 or 7 times and we have taken 10 other people with us at various times. DH loves it so much that after the first time we went, he seriously wanted to buy a membership which was essentially 5 hours of flying time...He didn't do it, but wanted to.

Chance of getting hurt- zero. You are being held ( or they are very close by and ready to grab you) at all times. If you have shoulder issues, they say not to fly, but I had a pinched rotator cuff 4 years ago that still gets sore on occasion and I have done it. My shoulder is a bit sore afterwards, but I just ice it.

It's tons of fun. You are in there with an instructor the whole time. You stand at the doorway, arms crossed against your chest and you just "fall" forward into the tunnel into the arms of the instructor. They adjust your body position and get you stable. then they slowly release you to see if you can keep stable and then readjust as necessary.

At the very end, if they ask you if you want to fly with them- say yes. They grab your jumpsuit at the scruff of the neck and the lower back and take you up higher- sometimes up into the wind tunnel. You are going pretty fast and rotating- going up and down. It's awesome.

They also take video and pictures. Be prepared to have some funny faces being made. The wind catches your cheeks and makes for silly looks.

Is it for 2 minutes? Around here, they usually have 4 minutes for the price of 2 on groupon. I wish Costco sold flights. 2 minutes is a little short, 4 is perfect- they usually spilt it up into 2 minute increments.

Please post back after you go. Want to see if you had fun.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe. I take it you're looking at the Hollywood location.

Physical Restrictions
  • People with prior back injuries or shoulder dislocations should not fly!
  • Those who are pregnant should not fly.
  • Participants under 6 feet tall must weigh less than 230 pounds.
  • Participants over 6 feet tall must weigh less than 250 pounds.
Other Restrictions
  • Scheduled flights may be transferred or rescheduled only with at least 48 hours advance notice.
  • Participants may not be intoxicated or otherwise impaired. :doh:

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:thumbsup: Go for it! We were out in Pigeon Forge, TN for Thanksgiving a couple years back, and a group of 5 of us went (Flyaway Indoor Skydiving). Me and the hubby, and my brother and his wife and son (15). All had a great time, and it was pretty easy! We got fitted for a suit & helmet, and then we sat through a video on safety & technique training. Once we were inside, we would stand around the edge of the tunnel, and the instructor would take us one at a time for "flight time" while the others watched. I think each of us got two turns at a couple minutes each time. The floor of the tunnel is kind of bouncy like a trampoline, and the wind coming up is quite warm! After we were done we were all sweating from the hot air and wearing the flight suits. I'd go again in a heartbeat.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a BLAST.. No Fear Skydiving!! that's a great price.. there are wind tunnels across the country.. As A skydiver we call it "Skydiving crack" no wind holds, no rig to pack.. Just a lot of FUN!! Go For it!

Has anyone tried indoor sky diving in a wind tunnel?

See: www.iflyworld.com

Costco is having a special where you get 2 short flights for $39. This is a substantial discount from the normal price of $59. Groupon may also run occasional specials for this experience.

Fun? Scary? Easy? Hard? Potential for knee or other bodily damage?

We are thinking of trying it and would love some first hand reports.

Also, if any soCal Divas want to join us, we could encourage each other. :eek:

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skydiving is the only thing I am NOT allowed to do (d/t the cervical fusion: five levels, one a little, well not as solid as the others). So, does this not count as "real" skydiving? I think it's the landing that makes it prohibited: is there an abrupt landing? Sounds like fun, though I haven't heard it mentioned at the Bozeman Costco.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna