• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Indoor Skiing - How to Best Use the Time

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My local ski shop is opening an indoor skiing facility (nothing elaborate - just the simple moving ramp thingie). I bought a 4 lesson private package as part of a crowd-funding effort. I like supporting these folks.

So, I've never tried one of these contraptions but I'm looking forward to it. Do any of you have advice/insights on how best to maximize the experience? What can I expect to be able to work on? Anything you'd advise against? For example, I'd love to be able to practice pivot slips as a pre-season warm-up, but I can't visualize it somehow.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Better guard against making funny faces while in deep concentration, I guess.

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter and I bought some lessons on one last year. It gives you quite the work-out. The company said that it would feel like a 1/2 day on the mountain in a 1/2 hour. I'd buy it, my legs were shaking at the end.... although it could have been due to the lack of squats I had been doing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My daughter and I bought some lessons on one last year. It gives you quite the work-out. The company said that it would feel like a 1/2 day on the mountain in a 1/2 hour. I'd buy it, my legs were shaking at the end.... although it could have been due to the lack of squats I had been doing.
Good to know. Sounds like a good way to see how much more ski conditioning work would be well worth the effort during pre-season.

In the Mid-Atlantic, the ratio of lift ride time to actual skiing can be 2-1 or even 3-1. For instance, for Lift 6 at Massanutten, the lift ride is about 7 minutes and take the long way down on Paradice takes 2-4 minutes. So 30 min on the indoor belt could be equivalent to 10 runs in a row with no rest. That will feel like a lot of ski time.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is great info. This is the time of year I bump up my lifting and ski-specific cardio. I'll remember not to kill myself in the gym the day that I'm doing the indoor.

mustski

Angel Diva
Huh. I never viewed indoor slopes as a workout regimen before. This is definitely something to look into.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Huh. I never viewed indoor slopes as a workout regimen before. This is definitely something to look into.
Not really a slope in the sense of an indoor slope with manmade snow and a J-bar. Maybe think about comparing the effort needed for a leisurely jog on a Rails-to-Trails pathway (graded sand/gravel, pretty flat) while stopping every 5-10 min for a breather vs. being on a treadmill set at a medium speed for 30 minutes straight.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's official! Pro-Fit is doing an invitation-only Pre-Launch Party the weekend of Oct. 14-15. They are calling the indoor skiing the Inside Ski Training Center, or Inside Ski for short. I'm actually going to be at Massanutten that weekend with my husband. But still 2 hours away so may or may not be able to make it.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if I'll make it either. I'm returning from a biz trip late on the 14th and may just want to sleep all day on the 15th. :faint:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm not sure if I'll make it either. I'm returning from a biz trip late on the 14th and may just want to sleep all day on the 15th. :faint:
I'll probably only go if my husband wants to spend Sunday afternoon watching sports and taking a nap. :wink:

alison wong

Angel Diva
I was at Pro fit ski shop today (try out ski boots) and got a chance to see this "thingy" (sorry don't know the name) in action. The shop only got this set up and running last week. Shop owner, Brian D., did a demo to me. It was quite neat. (When I read this thread couple months ago, I did not think much about it. But now seeing it in real life demo, I had a change of mind, I want to try it!)

Per Brian, one will have to "eat" few slices of humble pie (i.e. 3 or 4 lessons) before getting a hang of it. Initial few lessons, you will be doing wedge turns. He said few instructors from Whitetail and Liberty tried it, it took them a while to get the hang of it (some actually fell when first got on).

My first impression, this thing looks easier than it actually is:

1) You will need to wear your own boots, but use their skis.
2) Yes, there is a 2 way mirror. You get to see how you ski, body position / alignment, this gives instant feedback.
3) Yes, you can fall from this "thingy". But whoever operates this, will see you about to fall and, they usually get to stop this thingy running before you actually fall.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hopefully not hotter than 90 degrees in the sun outdoors at Liberty Snowflex in July. I didn't fall but was wearing long sleeves just in case.

Thanks for the first hand report, @alison wong !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna