• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Indoor skiing - does it exist in your area and have you been?

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I learned to snowboard on a dry slope, yes it does feel different from snow but out of season you take what you get! I really wish we had some type of facility here - wouldn't care if it's dry slope, rolling carpet or even being towed behind a trained pig! I'd do it.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It doesn't exist by me and never been to one of these places before. I'm kinda surprised one doesn't exist in the Mall of America or someplace

marzNC

Angel Diva
It doesn't exist by me and never been to one of these places before. I'm kinda surprised one doesn't exist in the Mall of America or someplace
As with many aspects of the global ski industry, N. America is generally behind Europe when it comes to technology-driven features. It's true for chairlifts and gondolas or trams, RFID lift access, as well as for alternatives to skiing in the mountains.

There have been small rolling carpet locations for a while, but only seem to work in select markets such as Florida, California, or Colorado. Apparently there is a snow play park in Florida that's open during the winter months. Folks can drive a few hours to go snow tubing, play with snow in a snow dome, or go ice skating.

Do you think folks in the midwest would drive 1+ hours and pay to ski/board for 2 hours indoors?

The indoor slope in New Jersey was initially conceived and built by a developer that ran into major issues with the overall project early on. Took another decade before another developer stepped in to try to make something out of the existing buildings. Ironically, the building Big SNOW inherited was completely ready to go. Complete with a new quad chair and all the snowmaking infrastructure.

The owner/developer of the Mall of America, Triple Five, has been working on the idea of another giant mall concept in Florida for quite a while. First articles came out in 2018. In theory, would include another Big SNOW location. Last date I've seen is an opening in 2025. Won't be surprised if it's much later than that.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
When I lived close to the NJ one, Big Snow didn't materialize. Now that I don't live near it, I haven't made plans to go but I know several locals who do go in the summer/fall.

The spouse on the other hand had a work trip to Dubai last fall, and he went skiing, and got rentals. It sounds like he might have to go there again for a conference this year and if he goes, he will absolutely bring his skis and boots he says. As for the runs it's like a blue at the top and then becomes a green. 4 ways to come down I think he said? He has a hat that says "Ski Dubai" -- I got to see photos, there are like little fake evergreen trees to ski around. LOL.

Which is so bizarre b/c it's in the desert!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope more of them pop up around the country and can be sustainable/profitable. Having access to big snow is such a treat. Especially when you can get 6packs at such a steal when they are on sale. Really a great way to keep your snow legs in the summer and a cheaper way to get started as a beginner

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
We don’t have an indoor slope, and our outdoor slopes are *cough* limited *cough* … but we do have this cool thing which is on my fall list: https://urban-slopes.com/

skibum4ever

Angel Diva

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
Looks great but this far out it's hard to know when it will actually get built. Opening in 2025 would be a fast track for such a big project. The leadership team seems pretty experienced, which is a good sign.
Totally agree. I think it would be a miracle if it came in on time, but hopefully it arrives some day/year, before I'm too old!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Ooh that looks like fun.

I would love to try it.
My boarder friend and I are planning to go this fall. Debates exist on if a) the non-skiers should go (we want them to get hooked and join us) and b) if the kids should go.

Kids have expressed interest in trying it. It will now be a competition.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly