• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Indoor Ski Centers, Snowless Ski Centers, and Ski Simulators

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am curious about snowless and indoor ski centers. This seems to be a growing trend in places where the ski culture overshadows the topography. Indoor ski centers seem particularly popular in the Netherlands and Germany but also the far edges of the flat earth such as Brazil, Egypt, China, Moscow, the UAE, and New Jersey.

Another technology which seems interesting is the ski simulator using mechanisms such as rails or carpeted treadmills to mimic the skiing experience. These seem to be popular not only on flatland but also in places which are mountain adjacent such as Denver and San Francisco.

If anyone has experience with indoor ski centers, snowless ski centers, or ski simulators I would very much like to hear about it. Last year I was tempted to try a ski simulator as a pre-season warm-up but instead did it the old fashioned way... skied poorly for 2-days until I found my ski legs.

In case you missed the video, the world’s greatest ski simulator was constructed earlier this year in the UK...

163C0787-7BE2-4BCA-9C18-02C5365BC5F1.jpegA3090EB8-57CE-4EF8-BB5D-FFF44D0BECA5.jpeg0823460C-1483-4C34-835D-3C121511FEA5.jpeg
Photo Credit Deneen.com
Photo Credit Telegraph.co.uk
Photo Credit Freeskier.com

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Last summer I had lessons at an indoor rolling carpet (like in the 2nd picture) with two others. The instructor was a PSIA Level III from a local hill. The slope can be adjusted for both inclination and speed. I‘d classify myself as a low intermediate (level 5).

My experience has been it is an excellent way to keep up with ski legs and cardio and work on techniques during the off-season. If you have a good instructor with excellent movement analysis skills, you can also work on specific techniques or deficiencies. The carpet removes all the variables of a ski hill and lets you sustain focus on specific aspects of your skiing. The carpet is also sensitive to technique. It doesn’t let you cheat like you can on snow. When I got back on snow last season in December, it was as if I never stopped.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If anyone has experience with indoor ski centers, snowless ski centers, or ski simulators I would very much like to hear about it. Last year I was tempted to try a ski simulator as a pre-season warm-up but instead did it the old fashioned way... skied poorly for 2-days until I found my ski legs.
What type of "not snow" option is closest to you?

I've experienced the plastic Snowflex outdoors at Liberty (VA) and the rolling carpet at Inside Ski. Also took a quick look at the other plastic surface option in CT. Of the three, the only one I would repeat if it were within an hour of my house would be Inside Ski.

Snowflex is relatively slow. There is water on the surface but still need to get up a fair amount of speed in order to make turns that are remotely interesting. Long sleeves and long pants are recommended or falling can be painful.

I think what I saw at Powder Ridge is called NevaPlast. Was also installed at Buck Hill in MN. It's just a plastic surface. Quite fast from what I saw. I had a chance to see the Ski School Director make a few carving turns on race skis. From what he told me, if you aren't doing a turn correctly then you will know instantly. So good for race training. One reason I wasn't tempted to give it a try was that it took 10+ minutes to ride up the magic carpet and get to the top of the short slope. Skiing down took him about a minute.

I did a 1-hour introductory lesson at Inside Ski soon after it opened a few years ago. That meant three 10-min sessions. I got the hang of making parallel turns towards the end of the second session. Definitely got a work out. While 10 min doesn't sound that long, think about how often you ski non-stop for 10 minutes.

At some point I'd like to check out Big SNOW at American Dream in NJ. I think that would be my first choice for off-season skiing if I lived close enough.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC The indoor set-up is near me uses an Endless Slope treadmill. Once the Coronavirus is less of a concern I think I would like to give it a try.

LillyOR

Diva in Training
I've visited one in UAE about 5 years ago. Too short. It is good in case to visit sunny beach and to go skiing in one day. Real snow, but too short and too slow lift.

MissySki

Angel Diva
You're in MA so not restricted from traveling to NJ. :wink:

Just find an motel with exterior doors. :smile:

Haha we'll see, I'm not sure I'm comfortable staying somewhere and also having to deal with food right now.. Plus, you don't get the benefit of being outside on a mountain, though hopefully can maintain a good distance/masking and therefore not worse than being in a big box store? I don't know, I'll have to mull over the logistics..

It is showing only 3 hours away from me, that's closer than I thought. Perhaps I could do a day trip, I've done plenty of those to ski though usually for a full day versus whatever this would entail. I'm darn tempted though!

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is totally stuck in my head now lol. Anyone else in the Northeast considering a day trip to New Jersey to ski inside sometime in September? Maybe we could ski and wave to each other from a distance! :ski:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I wrote a blog piece last summer on indoor ski centers, simulators, and snowless skiing. You can find it here.

This is totally stuck in my head now lol. Anyone else in the Northeast considering a day trip to New Jersey to ski inside sometime in September? Maybe we could ski and wave to each other from a distance! :ski:

If it wasn't so far -- and if the traffic wasn't so awful in that part of the world -- I'd consider joining you. But it's just too much for me.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I wrote a blog piece last summer on indoor ski centers, simulators, and snowless skiing. You can find it here.

If it wasn't so far -- and if the traffic wasn't so awful in that part of the world -- I'd consider joining you. But it's just too much for me.

I was hoping traffic might be better than usual since so many people are working from home, but no real data on it there. I went to Boston last Friday afternoon for boot work expecting the usual horrible traffic.. I got in and out with no traffic whatsoever.. amazing! Haha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna