• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Improving core strength with pilates?

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
My ski instructor was talking about the importance of core strength, so I'm trying to figure out a somewhat enjoyable way to work on that. I don't get along with yoga, so was thinking of taking some pilates classes, though I'm also open to other suggestions.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've done it for 20 years. Love it. Studios and classes have varying quality of course. Look at reviews, try to get an introductory deal, and see what you think. You should get individual attention. Pilates is very precise, so if no one is coming around and having you move your leg an inch and changing everything, take your money elsewhere. You don't necessarily have to go to an expensive studio. I've taken some really great mat classes at gyms where we still got the individual attention and the instructors were demanding that we do it correctly. If you start with mat classes at some point you probably want to progress to using the equipment, which you'll probably only find it at pricier studio.

If you are used to very vigorous exercise like kickboxing or CrossFit, Pilates may not feel like much at first. But, you need to get some basic movements down, and to do them precisely. It will get harder as you progress.

I believe @Abbi is an instructor so I'm sure she'll have great advice.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've done it for 20 years. Love it. Studios and classes have varying quality of course. Look at reviews, try to get an introductory deal, and see what you think. You should get individual attention. Pilates is very precise, so if no one is coming around and having you move your leg an inch and changing everything, take your money elsewhere. You don't necessarily have to go to an expensive studio. I've taken some really great mat classes at gyms where we still got the individual attention and the instructors were demanding that we do it correctly. If you start with mat classes at some point you probably want to progress to using the equipment, which you'll probably only find it at pricier studio.

If you are used to very vigorous exercise like kickboxing or CrossFit, Pilates may not feel like much at first. But, you need to get some basic movements down, and to do them precisely. It will get harder as you progress.

I second this. It is a great workout that targets many areas in a hour. I have been doing pilates since 2003. So many positive affects.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

@Christy - Thanks for the props! I’m not sure how much more I can add to your great post!

What everyone says has been true. Pilates, taught correctly by a properly trained instructor, is definitely work. No it is not CrossFit or HIIT. But it is definitely work. Pilates himself, who skied by the way, referred to the work as Contrology, the art of body control. The movements are designed to be done in a specific order, particularly if done classically. As Christy noted, precision is a key concept and an instructor who can see to move you an inch or two for a better result really emphasizes that. The mat work one sees in gyms was actually intended to be added in later after a person gained better control of the movements. But equipment is expensive and teachers need training so mat work is more commonly seen.

A number of professional athletes add Pilates to their conditioning. Google if you want names.

Since I disappear to Vermont to ski every year and since I am retired from my other corporate life, I have only a small client base these days. But enough to keep coming back when I return for me to know I’m offering the right thing for them. I also have a side specialty working with breast cancer survivors. Have I mentioned I love teaching!?

I think I am due to get down off my ‘Pilates is wonderful‘ soap box here! Feel free to message me and I will offer any useful suggestions.I am lucky to be involved with a studio that also teaches teachers. So it feels very alive and new to me every time I go in.

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
This is all very encouraging! I'm going to take advantage of one of the newbie packages that includes a couple of private reformer and mat classes, then take it from there.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another one that has been doing Pilates for 15 years. I can go ski all day for 4-5 days and not feel any pains. I fall, I get up without much of a challenge unless it's a bit too steep... then it's a challenge for a different reason!

Enjoy the classes! It's not as easy as it looks!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will also say, and I am an instructor, that the work when done under a trained eye can be a lot harder than doing it on one’s own. I am home during school vacation week. So I scheduled three sessions with other teachers at the studio where I work during other than ski season. I was feeling it after Monday. I did a tower class today. I am feeling it more! Apparently what I do on my own (lazy) does not sufficiently work the transverse abdominals. Those are the lowest and most interior ones. And mine are announcing their reawakening!!

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
Another one that has been doing Pilates for 15 years. I can go ski all day for 4-5 days and not feel any pains. I fall, I get up without much of a challenge unless it's a bit too steep... then it's a challenge for a different reason!

That's an incentive for me. I don't want to fall and be stuck down there - kind of like a turtle on its back.

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
I will also say, and I am an instructor, that the work when done under a trained eye can be a lot harder than doing it on one’s own. I am home during school vacation week. So I scheduled three sessions with other teachers at the studio where I work during other than ski season. I was feeling it after Monday. I did a tower class today. I am feeling it more! Apparently what I do on my own (lazy) does not sufficiently work the transverse abdominals. Those are the lowest and most interior ones. And mine are announcing their reawakening!!

I'm definitely taking classes rather than trying to follow along at home with a video, but for getting the form right, and so that I actually do the exercise. Seeing that even an experienced instructor works better while in class confirms that's the right way to go.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can swing a class with the reformer or tower every once in a while, do it. The machines give great feedback on whether you're doing something correctly by engaging the right muscles vs. looking like you're doing something right. The downside that probably affects a small part of the population is that the equipment is one size fits most, so I've had some issues that no one else seems to have. :rolleyes:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Pequenita wouldn’t a petite size reformer be just the ticket?

Do they exist? All the reformers at the studio I go to are the same size. My problem is usually with the box. When I lay down on it...85% of my body is on it. You'd think with Balanced Body being local a studio or two around here would have all the newfangled equipment...

ETA: the chair also is slightly large for me. Various things where you're sitting on the floor and using it just don't work for my proportions.

Last edited:

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
Definitely planning on reformer classes, but I've no idea what the tower is! Guess I'll learn.

I'm also only 5'1" on a good day, so am used to exercise equipment, and just about everything else, being a bit too big.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Pequenita they should exist, but I don't know of any. It'd certainly be a specialty item. I notice the problem when doing a few moves. For example, with Elephant I don't put my heels all the way back against the shoulder pads. The trade off for not being able to push against the pads is an overall better position for my spine.

@judeb have fun exploring!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm definitely taking classes rather than trying to follow along at home with a video, but for getting the form right, and so that I actually do the exercise. Seeing that even an experienced instructor works better while in class confirms that's the right way to go.
I also don't find yoga suits my personality. Attended a few mat pilates classes at a fitness center when I was a member several years ago. Definitely made it easier to learn the basics.

My favorite pilates video is by an older ski instructor at Vail. I gather she became a Pilates instructor at a later age. This 2014 video was made when she was around 70. During the pre-season for 2019-20 I managed to do the short routine 2-3 times a week. I think it was helpful.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely planning on reformer classes, but I've no idea what the tower is! Guess I'll learn.

I'm also only 5'1" on a good day, so am used to exercise equipment, and just about everything else, being a bit too big.

The tower is more or less the end of and mat of the Cadillac. Aren't you glad you mentioned that! :wink:
This is the tower in a class setting. Three instructors and the owner at the studio where I teach.
1582228844460.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly