• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm sure people are DOING summer sports

abc

Banned
Just no one is posting about what they're doing...

Went to an advanced seakayak clinic Saturday at Woods Hole. Basically learning to make white water moves in a sea kayak. Ferries, peel outs, eddy turns, surfing standing waves...

Not really sure why it's considered "advanced skill" since I don't really see a lot of use for such skills. But I had a blast!

Sea kayaks are usually build for speed running straight. So Ferry was a piece of cake. But peel out? Wow! When the current grabs it, it's like having a booster rocket going off! The boat rails when put on the side, carving like big S turns in powder! (the instructor actuall use the skiing analogy!) Trying to remember there's 8' of boat behind my butt took some getting used to. Lots of capsizes (some intentional) and lot of pracdice in rescues.

At the end of the day, while sitting in the eddy awaiting to cross a busy shipping lane, I drift close to a bunch of rocks. Not thinking straight, I grab onto the rock to steady myself, and "connected" with a fistful of barnacles! :(

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Our friends who kayak regularly in the San Juans use whitewater type moves to deal with the unpredictable and strong waves and currents around the islands.

Jilly

Staff member
Well I'm still paddling with the dragon boat club. Add to that my new purchase of a SUP and still have canoe, kayak and power boat. I also picked up a cheap mountain bike for the cottage, so I wouldn't need to take the car for a quick trip to the neighbours.

abc - I did an intro to kayaking last week. Learned all about wet exits, rescues and getting back in. I'm really bruised up from the seat back, but now I feel more confident about using the kayak. Good money spent! No where near ready for what you're doing.

abc

Banned
abc - I did an intro to kayaking last week. Learned all about wet exits, rescues and getting back in. I'm really bruised up from the seat back, but now I feel more confident about using the kayak. Good money spent!
So you may have a high seat back. Try folding it down as you climb on? (though you would then need to put it back up before you finally put your butt in)

Mine is below the cockpit rim so it doesn't cause that issue.

Does bowling count? If so, I will be doing summer sports for one more day. :blah:
Bowling certainly count as a sport in my book. Though I don't think of it as a 'summer sport' since it's usually done indoors so therefore a year round sport.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just completed the Tour De Nebraska, a bicycle tour in a state I hadn't ridden in. Completed 285 miles in 5 days. 2 more tours coming up in Wisconsin in July.

Wow, that sounds way cool!

I had a friend signed up for the Wisconsin ride, but he had a really bad cycling accident: a broken clavicle, 2 broken ribs, a punctured lung, and two cracked vertebrae. So he's out.

I'm doing a little of this, a little of that: mostly cycling (though not across any states) and swimming (a mile a couple times a week). When it rains (like today), I go to the gym and do the elliptical and weights. I like to mix things up to keep from getting bored. Nothing comes close to skiing, though.

Jilly

Staff member
So you may have a high seat back. Try folding it down as you climb on? (though you would then need to put it back up before you finally put your butt in)

Mine is below the cockpit rim so it doesn't cause that issue.

It wasn't my boat, so......The instructor told me I'd hate that seat!! The bruise is exactly the length of the seat top!! Ugly. Mine is lower, but then I really don't want to have to self rescue any time soon...... But at least I know how!

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In May I took a whitewater rafting guide training course. I loved it! It was hard work, but we spent all day on the water for a week and I came out of it a registered Maine Whitewater guide! I've gone back up to Maine a few times to shadow runs with the experienced guides (and just to enjoy the fun laid back Maine guide lifestyle!). I haven't taken any customers out yet (still need to work on some boat handling stuff and getting back into the raft on my own (can't have the guests pulling the guide back in if something goes wrong!) But I'm glad I got "become a rafting guide" checked off my bucket list! Other than that, I've been doing a bit of geocaching and nature walking/hiking some local areas around my town.

Christy

Angel Diva
Just completed the Tour De Nebraska, a bicycle tour in a state I hadn't ridden in. Completed 285 miles in 5 days. 2 more tours coming up in Wisconsin in July.

What a cool way to tour states you aren't familiar with. Hopefully the routes are planned for good scenery.

I'm hiking but the alpine is still snowy (Crystal Mt is still open!) so it's been just lowland/foothill hikes. But it's nice to get out, and I'm trying to pick lesser traveled areas where my dog can romp freely sans leash without bothering anyone--old CCC roads, lesser known trails, that kind of thing.

abc

Banned
I really don't want to have to self rescue any time soon...... But at least I know how!
Now that you know how to get back in, chances are you won't need it. The more relaxed you're in water (not stressed out worrying about falling in), the less likely you'll capsize.

Jilly

Staff member
Exactly my thinking. There are pics too! 2 guys were trying out kayaks, so they watched. Neither one of them had ever gone over!! Said they still had a lot to learn!

And NO, no one seeing my a$$ in the air on top of the kayak - no pics will be posted!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ooh, good to know. I'll go search it out for the iPad.

ETA: No wonder I play Words with Friends. I'm a cheapskate! It's free; the iPad Scrabble is $9.99.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly