• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm such a Jacket Slut!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Now I'm even sluttier... My new Patagonia Powder Bowl jacket (with matching black Powder Bowl pants) just arrived. I have a good excuse. My DD, a jacket-slut-in-training, stole my waterproof Gore Tex shell, purchased many years ago at the LL Bean outlet store, so I had to replace it with something...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will admit, I only have two nice heavy-ish ski jackets. One is white, and the other, tomato red. The purpose for that is to have an alternate, when it was necessary to launder the white jacket.
Two dress jackets/coats(one spring/fall, and one heavy winter)
I have several Older jackets that are at different stages of 'bummin' around or work jackets.

I have, now, 6 light weight jackets(this is where I have an issue):rolleyes:
And the other weakness, vests! I have a Patagonia down sweater vest, two Marmot fleece vests, and my old stand by Northface quilted vest.
Its all right....... Right?

Nuff said?

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. As a group, we have issues! :laugh:

:D

I only have 1 ski jacket. BUT that is soon to change once I find one that I fall in love with in colour, size, graphics (if any?). Then I'm on a mission to buy ski pants...the hunt continues!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Its all right....... Right?

Nuff said?

It's more than all right. It's our duty to support the leisure industry (all of them) and redistribute our hard earned wealth for items that provide delight and enjoyment to our stressed, frazzled hard working selves. It's a component of the true work ethic, and provides motivation to enhance productivity.

We should also support the R&D efforts of those who are pushing the boundaries on the technical attributes of our clothing, equipment, sporting activities in order to provide the world with safer, more advanced situation specific gear. By doing this we will be engaging in our favourite activities for longer, in a more comfortable, less hazardous manner. We will become healthier and more active in our later years, reducing the burden on carers, health providers and our families.

Medical limits are being explored and refined as we permit them to use our sports stretched bodies in the pursuit of advancements, so that those who come after us may never know the pain of joints, ligaments and muscles that have been pushed beyond their capacity(especially when we weren't wearing the latest in boots, garb, equipment etc that would have prevented the aforementioned).

We MUST shop for the greater good of mankind (meaning womankind obviously). Fill up your quivers, start new ones, layer, layer, layer in every way possible.

I'd put my soap box away now, but my closet is full - trying to keep my consumption inconspicuous.

Ski Fanatic Mom

Certified Ski Diva
Jacket Slut

I too, am a jacket slut. Not only do I go for brand names, I also buy if I like the color of a jacket. My newest addition is a Spyder ski jacket that I bought during my recovery from my tibial plateau fracture. I "needed" it for mental encouragement!!! Can't wait to wear it! :ski2:

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Maybe I am worse than I thought!! =S

I've got got three hardshells (2 HH, one Arcteryx), a down-insulated Salomon jacket, minimalist down jacket, a Marmot softshell, three vests (down, canvas/fleece, fleece), a Mountain Hardwear "Monkey Woman" fleece, and wayyyy too many basic fleece layers. There are probably more that I am forgetting too, oops.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
By doing this we will be engaging in our favourite activities for longer, in a more comfortable, less hazardous manner. We will become healthier and more active in our later years, reducing the burden on carers, health providers and our families.

We MUST shop for the greater good of mankind (meaning womankind obviously). Fill up your quivers, start new ones, layer, layer, layer in every way possible.

OMG - I love this reasoning! Now I can justify the contents of my closet and basement! :becky:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:useless:
I'll post one if someone else goes first :D

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:useless:
I'll post one if someone else goes first :D
I thought about it, but I have much of my stuff in summer storage. :(

Good news/Bad News:
Good - I got my Arcteryx and LOVE IT!
Bad - Itri is outa luck! I'm not giving it up!

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey oragejuice, how warm is the MH Monkey Woman fleece?

I just recently got the MH Monkey Fur Fleece.

I had looked at it for a long time...had read all the reviews. I finally found it for a good price at BC.

This is a copy fo the review I wrote over @ BC:
I have been looking at this jacket for a while and finally bought it. When i first received it, I tried it on. First impression: fits great, very soft. But, d/t the "lightness" of the jacket, I couldn't imagine that it would be very warm. So, I actually had planned on returning it. Then the mornings here in Denver have been nice & cold, (low 40s) and I started wearing while walking the dog @ 5am. Boy, was I wrong. It is very warm & snuggly. All the reviews that you read re: the warmth to weight ratio are true. It will work great under a hard shell during winter sports. Definitely not wind resistant and I have a feeling and won't handle moisture at all. But for dry, cold days, it will be great. Oh, and LOVE the artichoke color.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey oragejuice, how warm is the MH Monkey Woman fleece?

MMMMMMM. Great jacket. I bought it last year on a whim, I was going to get an REI hoodie, and saw it. Whoops. I love it. I wear it by itself at night and during the winter, or underneath a shell when I'm out in the snow... but not as a skiing layer, too warm for that. It also works really well with a Capilene layer underneath when I'm camping in colder weather.

If you're familiar with Patagonia stuff, its way warmer than an R3 jacket, a similar type of fleece. I've taken to wearing it on spring days, where its still 30 degrees, but bluebird-groomers. It's perfect for staying cool while you're flying down the hill, and warms you up on the lift. And it looks sweet. I've thought about taking it back, a couple times when I was broke and thinking about the unlimited return policy... :rolleyes: but I like too much!

hollypop

Certified Ski Diva
wow you guys! i aspire to one day be as slutty as you :p

i just ordered my first jacket (patagonia primo down) and i'm so excited! my first step toward being a jacket slut :smile: i sure hope it fits!! i have a feeling the M may be a bit roomy *shrug* Edit: (anyone else have this jacket and could let me know how it fits?)

i'm just so excited to have my own jacket!

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
wow you guys! i aspire to one day be as slutty as you :p

i just ordered my first jacket (patagonia primo down) and i'm so excited! my first step toward being a jacket slut :smile: i sure hope it fits!! i have a feeling the M may be a bit roomy *shrug* Edit: (anyone else have this jacket and could let me know how it fits?)

i'm just so excited to have my own jacket!

:clap::jaw::hurt: JEALOUS!!!! That one is going to send you into jacket heaven. Growl. I wish I had the money for one.

I wear a medium, and I'm 5'5" 180 (apparently I look like 160ish). I haven't tried THAT jacket on, but I think a medium should be fine, unless you are TIIINY.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You girls are addictive! :redface:

Since my new Marmot McCloud likely will not work as a ski jacket (though at $32 on SAC, I can't complain about using it as an all-around jacket) I was on the hunt for a waterproof softshell. Kind of wanted pit zips but I was flexible given the fabric, as long as it was waterproof.

This morning, I found one of the ones I was considering on SAC for a great price and pulled the trigger! Mountain Hardware Backstage Jacket for $75.99 (regularly $194.95!):
BSBLK.jpg

I considered white but I've had bad luck with getting stains on my jackets from the chair lifts :mad: so I went with black.

Which means I'll be wearing black Mountain Hardware softshell jacket and pants this year. And an eggplant helmet. I'll be like Darth Vader! :laugh: But I will look GOOD! :D

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL! I just picked up one of these in Expresso! I was thinking of it more for off the hill.
I hope it's as beautiful as it looks in the pic.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wasn't really sure and did some quick searching for reviews. It was listed by reviewers as being warm and totally waterproof, which are important. Although I was night skiing in a much lighter-weight softshell last winter (that was not waterproof). I really liked the Espresso, too, but since I have black ski pants and I don't plan on buying any more pairs, I had to go with a color that matched (otherwise Sage also would have been a consideration... but it had brown trim).

Motivation for those last 10 lbs to go bye-bye! :D

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The jacket seems to be quite stylish, so I was hoping it would look good with jeans. I'm looking forward to the Monkey Phur - it sounds very snuggly.

Those ten pounds will come off, you've worked hard and long, you will win this battle. You know by now that it's all mental too - there are no easy fixes, so stay focused on what you want, and why you want it.

altagirl

Staff member
I'm really bad too. The "problem" is also that I buy such nice, high quality stuff that it never seems to actually wear out. So I just add more to the collection and it never thins out.

I have 2 Arc'teryx shells - one dark blue/purplish and one bright turquoise blue with a red chest pocket zipper. And an apple green Patagonia hardshell.

And now my MTB team is sponsored by Patagonia so we get some great pricing, and good Lord am I in trouble.

I bought a wool 4 hoody - which is SWEET

and a Down zip jacket in Poppy Fields (red) (I have an old black Sierra Designs jacket but the zipper is trashed and it's leaking feathers, and a purple one but it's just old and has gotten dirty from camping in it too much...)

and a black soft shell embroidered with our team logo. Oooohhhh so nice. Can't wait to go XC skiing in it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly