• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm such a Jacket Slut!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So, the important question: Duct or Duck? I was always firmly in the duct camp. Then I noticed I was in a significant minority. Then I noticed that Duck tape is a brand name now. I still usually choose duct, but somehow decided to go with Duck in these posts. I'm fretting about that!
Wondering the same thing. I’m in the “duct” camp.

elemmac

Angel Diva
So, the important question: Duct or Duck? I was always firmly in the duct camp. Then I noticed I was in a significant minority. Then I noticed that Duck tape is a brand name now. I still usually choose duct, but somehow decided to go with Duck in these posts. I'm fretting about that!

Initial thoughts: Duct is accurate, Duck is a brand.

But....Wikipedia to quickly prove me wrong. Sounds like either is accurate:
------------------------------
Duct tape (also called duck tape, from the material it was originally made of) is cloth- or scrim-backed pressure-sensitive tape, often coated with polyethylene. There are a variety of constructions using different backings and adhesives, and the term 'duct tape' has been genericized to refer to different cloth tapes with differing purposes. A variation is heat-resistant foil tape useful for sealing heating and cooling ducts, produced because the adhesive on standard duct tape fails and the synthetic fabric reinforcement mesh deteriorates when used on heating ducts.

Duct tape is generally silvery gray in color, but also available in other colors and printed designs, from whimsical yellow duckies to practical camouflage patterns. It is often confused with gaffer tape (which is designed to be non-reflective and cleanly removed, unlike duct tape).

During World War II, Revolite (then a division of Johnson & Johnson) developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used to seal some ammunition cases during that period.[1]

"Duck tape" is recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary as having been in use since 1899;[2] "duct tape" (described conservatively as "perhaps an alteration of earlier duck tape") since 1965.[3]
------------------------------

Also learned today: Don't use duct tape on ducts :nono:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

:rotf: Or if you don’t like feathered creatures you can use Gorilla tape! That’s what I have holding down my metatarsal pads on my foot beds! Must be the good stuff because I swiped a chunk of it from my boot fitters back room!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fyi tenacious tape does come in multiple colors. I find the clear to be very stiff.....
Check amazon

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m in the duct tape camp. Although for jackets K-tape (Kenyon brand—not to be confused with kt tape something totally different) comes in a clear urethane tape. The clear is quite flexible and is not stiff. It is my go to for patching tents and ski pants. Although the high sheen is definitely noticeable. They also have colors made from a nylon type material. Advertised as washable but I don’t know that I have ever laundered a patched item to vouch for that.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gorilla tape is a LOT less messy than duct/duck tape. It's all I buy now. It doesn't fall apart or leave the stringy residue that duct tape does. Tenacious Tape is the best for patching outerwear, imo. I've had some on a pair of ski pants for 2 seasons and it's held great. (Small tear near the boot cuff; clear tape).
@Djburrito btw, they are Flylow pants. I love them, but the material does not seem to be the most durable)

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! I just purchased my first hardshell ski jacket (Peak Performance Alpine in steel blue - I'm excited!! Anyone else love this brand? I've been stalking it!). I've only ever skied in an insulated jacket (Descente). I'm wanting advice on what layers to wear under it for Whistler skiing. I know this is very dependent on personal body temp but I'm wanting to look during the end of season sales for a deal. I stick to groomers mainly and run hot when I'm moving but my body quickly cools off on the chair. I already have merino base layers. What kind of mid layer should I look at? A puffer? I'm also a keen runner so anything that I can also run or hike in would be a bonus but not necessary. Thanks.

I have the equivalent jacket from 2018/19 (?) It's SO good in Whistler rain. It is a very long jacket: since I am short with narrow shoulders + wide hips, I have to unzip the bottom 6"/15cm to create enough room for my hips. I wear an XS tho...since I don't wear a down midlayer, it turned out to fit okay. (Mind you, that was 5lbs ago...) It's not that stretchy tho & I have a hard time cramming in as much as in my softer/more stretchy jacket from Lole (which is what I'm wearing in my profile pic - I started carrying those silicon 500ml waterbottles they sell at the WB shop), so maybe the recommendation for the S will be the right one.

As a perimenopausal woman who runs very hot and hates being sweaty, I usually just wear a base layer (Lole yoga top) and midlayer. The midlayer varies by season/temp:
1) Really cold (significantly below -10C or 0-15F), a down puff
2) Jan in Whistler (daily max -10C to -5C ) - Smartwool midlayer with puffy vest built
3) most of the time at Whistler (-5C to 0C) Patagonia R1
4) spring skiing: thinner-than-R1 from MEC or thin wool jersey zip-up from Smartwool

Note that I wouldn't like to head up the Peak Chair or Glacier on a cloudy day in combo 4 (like I know I'd be totally shafted if the weather changed) & I wore 3) all of the last week of March when it was -2C max each day and a bit of cloud. I was freezing on Jersey Cream + Crystal, but only for a minute when each chair crests over the ridge and suddenly is exposed.

Hope this helps - and look forward to meeting up with you and @kiki at some point next season!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can’t wait to be a jacket slut ;)

If any of you need to purge of your jacket collection in order to make room in your closets I’m happy to help out with that problem. Newbie here and just starting to figure out what I like and need. So tempting.
I might be able to help out with that. I'm a size Large and have 2-3 jackets that I would like to re-home. Send me a PM if you're interested.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the equivalent jacket from 2018/19 (?) It's SO good in Whistler rain. It is a very long jacket: since I am short with narrow shoulders + wide hips, I have to unzip the bottom 6"/15cm to create enough room for my hips. I wear an XS tho...since I don't wear a down midlayer, it turned out to fit okay. (Mind you, that was 5lbs ago...) It's not that stretchy tho & I have a hard time cramming in as much as in my softer/more stretchy jacket from Lole (which is what I'm wearing in my profile pic - I started carrying those silicon 500ml waterbottles they sell at the WB shop), so maybe the recommendation for the S will be the right one.

As a perimenopausal woman who runs very hot and hates being sweaty, I usually just wear a base layer (Lole yoga top) and midlayer. The midlayer varies by season/temp:
1) Really cold (significantly below -10C or 0-15F), a down puff
2) Jan in Whistler (daily max -10C to -5C ) - Smartwool midlayer with puffy vest built
3) most of the time at Whistler (-5C to 0C) Patagonia R1
4) spring skiing: thinner-than-R1 from MEC or thin wool jersey zip-up from Smartwool

Note that I wouldn't like to head up the Peak Chair or Glacier on a cloudy day in combo 4 (like I know I'd be totally shafted if the weather changed) & I wore 3) all of the last week of March when it was -2C max each day and a bit of cloud. I was freezing on Jersey Cream + Crystal, but only for a minute when each chair crests over the ridge and suddenly is exposed.

Hope this helps - and look forward to meeting up with you and @kiki at some point next season!
Thank you! That's an amazingly helpful list for next season. I've been looking at the Patagonia Nano Air jacket as a possible midlayer - suitable? I always wear a smart wool 250 wool base layer. I also run so figured I could also wear out running during winter. I guess it may be a bit of trial and error with my layering. Jersey Cream and Crystal are always so darn windy! But I ski and then I'm sweating in the line to the chair.... I took a pic and some videos and sent to the store and they thought it was the right size with room to layer. I'd like to have tried and compared with XS on but in person shopping not on the cards for me. I'm going to save your numbered list!

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! That's an amazingly helpful list for next season. I've been looking at the Patagonia Nano Air jacket as a possible midlayer - suitable? I always wear a smart wool 250 wool base layer. I also run so figured I could also wear out running during winter. I guess it may be a bit of trial and error with my layering. Jersey Cream and Crystal are always so darn windy! But I ski and then I'm sweating in the line to the chair.... I took a pic and some videos and sent to the store and they thought it was the right size with room to layer. I'd like to have tried and compared with XS on but in person shopping not on the cards for me. I'm going to save your numbered list!

Oh yeah, that would be perfect, and also works as a casual spring/fall jacket in town + good for travelling since its so light.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Flylow has amazing customer service in my experience. Email them anyways, even if you don't think it'll be covered under warranty. They may have you send it in for evaluation, and may fix it for free...or at least can give you recommendations on how to go about fixing it.
Can confirm. One of the pocket zips on my flylow bibs broke and I emailed them asking for advice about fixing it/if there was a specific zip to use etc. They said that they would have been happy to fix it for free except that since I am not in the US, the shipping costs would be astronomical :laughter: so they instead gave me some advice, which I promptly forgot about as soon as ski season ended. I still need to fix that, augh!

Big fan of friendly customer service like that :smile:

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my Montec Doom jacket arrived today. Seems well made and I really like the style. The hood (non) helmet compatibility may be an exchange or a deal breaker. I got size L which is my typical size. It fits beautifully except for the armscythe. Ok by itself but when I put the hood over my helmet it lifts the whole jacket up enough to dig into my armpits. (It also digs when I layer a down sweater underneath although it fits well everywhere else.) This is a common fit problem for me and why I sometimes size up to XL or buy men’s jackets. Trying to decide which route to try. Will report if I have any customer service issues with the return/exchange but don’t anticipate any.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
OK. I need help. I recently tried on this jacket in Aspen. Of course it's Aspen therefore expensive. This jacket costs $400 supposedly reduced from $1200. This would be significantly more than I normally spend on a ski jacket.

But I like it... a lot. I have been in a number of ski stores and also searched on line but have not found anything I like as much.

I have asked a couple of friends and received mixed responses. It seems like people either love it or hate it.

Divas, I called today and the jacket is still available. Desperately seeking your thoughts.

Note: of course there is a matching mask but hopefully I won't need that next season.

IMG_20210327_170745149.jpg

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does it have the features you like in a ski jacket in addition to looking great? I see an arm pass pocket... I’ve found when shopping I tend to make “safe” choices but the things I love and wear the most are the few times I go out on a limb for something special.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@SarahXC I like everything about it. It's warm. It has adequate pockets, pit zips. It's the right length for my short body. It has a hood and a powder skirt but both are removable. And it's pretty...it was love at first sight until the cost discouraged me. And I phoned the store today since Aspen closes this weekend, but they have no interest in a further discount.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly