• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm so excited and proud today!

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
Our daughter has expressed interest in learning to ski last spring, but we didn't get a chance to go. Today afternoon on a whim we decided to check out Big Snow (that new indoor ski slope). Daughter turned 6 last Sunday.

Here's the result of spending couple hours on the snow:

I'm so so excited and proud of her!

newboots

Angel Diva
Wahoo! That smile at the end is so great!

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
BTW, what was it like to ski at Big Snow?

Not the same as outdoors obviously, and it was a bit of a madhouse Saturday evening, but I think it is not a bad place to take never-evers or very beginners to. The consistent feel of snow with no surprises (other than people falling over lol) and no wind is nice in a way. Beginners of every age - made our shy-ish daughter feel less intimidated and self-conscious.

Free lockers much appreciated.

There are several instructors hanging out all the time in the flat and mini pipe progression area, teaching people the side-stepping up, "french fries", "pizza slice" and their first turns, as well as working with all the boarders. No extra charge for that.

The banked turns in the progression learning area were almost impossible to take daughter to - the first-timers boarders were all congregating in one spot 1/3 down, forming a wall, and if one managed to get through them, 2nd wall was a couple of yards down where they were all falling over.

The little park looked to be fun.

Chair lift slooow. Some first-timers were taking the lift and practicing all sorts of rolls up there :tongue: but not impossible to pick a safe moment to drop in.

I would think on a weekday it is definitely an option to pop in to work on some technical drills that one doesn't need a longer slope for. 6-pack slope access for those who have their own stuff (2 hours, starts counting when one enters "outdoors" err "indoors" err... snow?) is currently $99 if bought online. For us, daughter being 6, no fee for her with my admission. Maybe best $16.66 total spent so far :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Our daughter has expressed interest in learning to ski last spring, but we didn't get a chance to go. Today afternoon on a whim we decided to check out Big Snow (that new indoor ski slope). Daughter turned 6 last Sunday.

Here's the result of spending couple hours on the snow:

I'm so so excited and proud of her!
Thanks for the first-hand report about Big SNOW.

What a great smile at the end of the video! That's a great birthday present.

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
Daughter asked to go skiing again (I decided to stick with Big Snow today to give her more time in familiar place) - she's got a nearly-parallel right turn in isolation, and a "needs work, but can turn" left one, and a ton of confidence for her 2nd time on skis. When we got back home, she said that next time, we are going to race - who will get down faster. Uh oh. Is that really my daughter? At this pace, I'll be behind her really soon.

Who has reputation for good group lessons for her age group (6 y.o.) within about 2 hours of NYC?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Daughter asked to go skiing again (I decided to stick with Big Snow today to give her more time in familiar place) - she's got a nearly-parallel right turn in isolation, and a "needs work, but can turn" left one, and a ton of confidence for her 2nd time on skis. When we got back home, she said that next time, we are going to race - who will get down faster. Uh oh. Is that really my daughter? At this pace, I'll be behind her really soon.

Who has reputation for good group lessons for her age group (6 y.o.) within about 2 hours of NYC?
Did you see that Mountain Creek is offering a 50% discount on a beginner package for people with a receipt from Big SNOW?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@sk8ski , I just love this. One of the best days of my life was watching my six year old granddaughter ride down the hill after completing her first day of snowboard lessons. I will never forget the emotion and pride.

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
Did you see that Mountain Creek is offering a 50% discount on a beginner package for people with a receipt from Big SNOW?

Yes I saw it - Mountain Creek beginner "Go" package is for 7+ (I don't think kids' program qualifies for 50% off) - I should check how they feel about allowing a 6 y.o. in a 7+ youth class.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We made it up to Montage today late afternoon/evening.
Wonderful! Certainly is a success story. Looks to me like she is already looking to go as fast as possible.

@tinymoose is a regular at Montage. We had a Diva meetup there a few years ago during early season. I could tell it's a good mountain for beginners. Always helps to have advanced skiers mostly in a separate area from the green trails. Seems to be far less crowded than Camelback.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna