• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm getting ankle surgery

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uh, how do I function after surgery being non-weight bearing for up to 2 months? My summer is getting cut short, only 2 weeks left to mountain bike my little heart out (GREAT deal on a 2016 Trek end of September, btw). In February '17 I had back surgery and I was generally able to do most life-essentials 2 weeks out and was skiing at 6 weeks post-op. Now, I'm kind of overwhelmed how I will manage day-to-day life, mostly on my own. Back surgery recovery suddenly seems so easy!

One of my many concerns is keeping my quads on my immobilized leg from atrophying all the way. I don't even know if there's any exercises I can do to keep that muscle group thinking.

But holy crap, what am I in for?!?! :eek: :doh:

Jilly

Staff member
A friend had her ankle fused last year. She was able to rent a scooter to get around the house. Think the inline scooter you see kids on. She was able to place her bent leg on the platform and literally scoot around the house. I'll have to look for a pic.

I'm sure PT will help with post op.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mat pilates seems safe, they make a ring that can add resistance too. Just stay away from the leg exstension ( extinction ) machine it's horrible for your knees. Good luck with the surgery.

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend had her ankle fused last year. She was able to rent a scooter to get around the house. Think the inline scooter you see kids on. She was able to place her bent leg on the platform and literally scoot around the house. I'll have to look for a pic.

I'm sure PT will help with post op.

Yeah they wrote me order for a knee scooter and crutches. I'm basically getting a full reconstruction and won't be walking until December. This is going to be awesome. :rolleyes:

Jilly

Staff member
So a google ad comes up for something called an" iWALK2.0". Looks like a modern pirate leg....Sounds like you're getting set up.

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So a google ad comes up for something called an" iWALK2.0". Looks like a modern pirate leg....Sounds like you're getting set up.
Very slowly getting set up. I'm in that crazy pre-surgery nesting phase right now, which I think isn't helping at all!

mustski

Angel Diva
I'll join in on the hugs and say "good luck." What type of surgery are you getting? What are they doing?

Sandrine

Diva in Training
Good luck, @beckylh84!
I had surgery on my ankle last year and I geeked out pretty hard on how to recover as quickly as possible and how to avoid losing too much muscle, then wrote a blog post about it: https://www.srangeon.com/injury/
(I hope it's okay to post a link! If not, I can message it to you)

Do you know if you're keeping the metal after everything heals? I still have my plate and 7 screws and it doesn't bother me anymore.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Best of luck to you, @beckylh84. I broke my ankle once, but have no advice since your procedure sounds way more complex than a simple break. I wish you all the best in surgery and recovery.

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck, @beckylh84!
I had surgery on my ankle last year and I geeked out pretty hard on how to recover as quickly as possible and how to avoid losing too much muscle, then wrote a blog post about it: https://www.srangeon.com/injury/
(I hope it's okay to post a link! If not, I can message it to you)

Do you know if you're keeping the metal after everything heals? I still have my plate and 7 screws and it doesn't bother me anymore.
Your blog is full of very helpful information. Thanks so much for sharing!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly