• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Iliotibial Band Syndrome

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My hubby is currently suffering from IBS. He's been dealing with it for a couple of months now. He's seen an orthopedist, chiropractor, and physical therapist. He's doing the recommended stretches religiously. Still, he's not getting relief.

I know this can be an issue in skiing and I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with it and what ultimately worked for you. Time? Patience? Stretching? Injections? Prayer???

geargrrl

Angel Diva
What worked for me is a functional fitness program. This means movement on multiple planes, plyometrics, balance and of course strengthening and mobility. ITBS was my diagnosis. My PT suggested I try their functional fitness classes for six months and then reevaluate. Problems solved. (IBS is stomach problems, Irritable Bowel Syndrome so I was confused for a minute there)

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL! That would be confusing!!

Thanx for your input. No one has told him it could take that long to rehab and I know he doesn't want to hear it. He's a 77 year old exercise fanatic who's still coaching swimming full time (think hours standing on a concrete pool deck). The second he feels even a little better, he overdoes it - and you know the rest.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My hubby is currently suffering from IBS. He's been dealing with it for a couple of months now. He's seen an orthopedist, chiropractor, and physical therapist. He's doing the recommended stretches religiously. Still, he's not getting relief.
Does he know how to use a foam roller for the Illiotibial band?

I had a tight I-band a few years ago. Found a few videos that were helpful.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Does he know how to use a foam roller for the Illiotibial band?

I had a tight I-band a few years ago. Found a few videos that were helpful.

I also use a la crosse ball ...... definitely a foam roller.
I had IBS when I was running 10k's....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Foam rolling and strengthening for the gluteus medius. #8 at this post was the one that really seemed to turn it around for me.

Good collection! I recognize most of the exercises from PT during knee rehab (in 2012). Also did several with my personal trainer the first couple years.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, he's doing all the exercises diligently. Only in the last two days has he been able to use the foam roller b/c it has been too painful. Today his Dr. started him on a Medrol Pack (Methylprednisolone) to see if it will relieve some of the inflammation and pain. At best, it'll give him a kick start and help him tolerate the exercises better. At worst, it'll probably clear up his sinus infection. :smile:

Thanx to you all for the information and suggestions!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"The second he feels even a little better, he overdoes it"
Don't do this. LOL.

Is there a PT in your area who does hands-on physical therapy, or Orthopaedic Manipulative Physical Therapy? This was very helpful to me for dealing with a bout of iliosacral inflammation on my right side. Still, rehab can take a long time. Starting off taking it easy is a good thing!

+1 to @geargrrl 's suggestion for a functional fitness workout program, but maybe get the debilitating pain reduced first before diving into a full fledged hard-core program. Stretching might feel good but strong muscles & mobile joints are key to keeping pain away.

Also consider related things like which repetitive movements or seated positions might be a cause of the pain, or wearing better cushioned footwear if standing/walking on hard surfaces for a long time, or maybe exploring if the pain really stems from something else.

Jilly

Staff member
I've been fighting this from about 3 months now. Doing PT, which is mostly massage. Nothing like having your RMT tell you you have a tight ass. It works great for a day or 2. I got up to Tremblant for some skiing and forgot my small roller. A friend came up on Tuesday and I asked her if she might have an extra one. But like @BlizzardBabe 's DH, I'm too sore for it now. Heading home, so I'll use my small one tomorrow morning after a nice warm shower. So far I have been using 200mg of Advil.

I'm going to talk to my trainer about the functional fitness.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Yes, he's doing all the exercises diligently. Only in the last two days has he been able to use the foam roller b/c it has been too painful. Today his Dr. started him on a Medrol Pack (Methylprednisolone) to see if it will relieve some of the inflammation and pain. At best, it'll give him a kick start and help him tolerate the exercises better. At worst, it'll probably clear up his sinus infection. :smile:

Thanx to you all for the information and suggestions!
I love my PT who uses graston, and dry needling!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
At the beginning of last year’s season, I was REALLY struggling with my right knee b/c of a tight IT Band that was almost unable to loosen. my PT taught me how to use a small sink plunger for relief and it HONESTLY was mind blowing and life changing. What she pointed out was that rolling can aggravate it more, sometimes, and that separating the fascia from the underlying muscle is paramount. AMAZING. Talk to your (husband’s) PT.

lisasouthbayla

Certified Ski Diva
I’ve had IT band problems that fluctuate. I had heard or read that foam rolling doesn’t do anything because it’s not a muscle. When I foam roll above knee that helps.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’ve had IT band problems that fluctuate. I had heard or read that foam rolling doesn’t do anything because it’s not a muscle. When I foam roll above knee that helps.
That’s what I do..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cherylp