• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

IKON Pass Pricing Revealed

marzNC

Angel Diva
As Alterra continues to find ways to add destinations to Ikon, I started thinking about the statements since Feb 2018 that they "continue to curate partners." I associate the work "curate" with museum collections. Turns out that the shift to using "curate" in the Internet age started a decade ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/fashion/04curate.html

The dictionary definition implies a certain level of expertise by a curator. Fair to say that the decision makers at Alterra have a pretty good idea what folks who fly to ski are interested in exploring. I imagine the buzz about the latest additions is louder among flatlanders in the Mid-Atlantic and midwest than in the Rockies or along the west coast. Have seen that some Aussies are interested in checking out Crystal. I wonder what European travelers are thinking about the current Ikon list? Certainly competes well with Epic, especially if there is any interest in visiting New England or Québec for general sightseeing after making a long flight over an ocean.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got an email saying the prices will go up another $50 on October 10. Currently prices are $699 and $999. If you can still find a Costco with any in stock, they are offering a $200 gift card back on the full Ikon pass. Taxes are already included in the pricing, at least here in MA.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Next twist on the Ikon. Until 10/10, can upgrade Ikon Base to the full Ikon Pass for $300.

I did the math and decided Ikon Base made sense given my trip plans for Taos, Big Sky, and Alta/Snowbird. Will still use my MCP but won't need to pay for additional day @50% off except for Alta in April. Plan to check out Deer Valley for a day, plus Ikon locations the northeast in Dec and Mar. May be the last time I ski in the northeast for while.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Asking this for a friend:
Does anyone know if Costco deal w/ Ikon pass is still available? (My friend is a Costco member.)

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They were getting low when I got mine a few weeks ago, but it all depends on the local store. They aren't available online. So the short answer is, your friend would have to call around the local Costco stores to ask if they still have any in stock.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got an email from Stratton about lodging deals for 50% off during early season for Ikon pass holders. Anyone signed up for emails from Alterra resorts seeing offers like that?

alison wong

Angel Diva
Even though Ikon pass covers more resorts, in my case, I don't see how I can utilize to its full benefit. I live in flat land, in middle of nowhere, closest "mountain" on Ikon pass is Snowshoe in WV. The drive to Snowshoe is too stressful to be bothered.
My vacation days are limited, boss & colleagues don't really like the fact that I take too much time off (& too frequent) in winter season to go skiing.
Destinations on Ikon pass all require travel in my case, reasonably 1 week (including travel time) to make the experience worthy.
Ikon base pass is more cost effective but it has black out dates. Full pass is too costly to justify the usage.
Plus, there are couple places on my bucket list and they are not on multi-resort pass (won't be for the foreseeable future because they are oversea destinations).
With all that said, I am not sure if I will get multi-resort pass next season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even though Ikon pass covers more resorts, in my case, I don't see how I can utilize to its full benefit. I live in flat land, in middle of nowhere, closest "mountain" on Ikon pass is Snowshoe in WV. The drive to Snowshoe is too stressful to be bothered.
My vacation days are limited, boss & colleagues don't really like the fact that I take too much time off (& too frequent) in winter season to go skiing.
Destinations on Ikon pass all require travel in my case, reasonably 1 week (including travel time) to make the experience worthy.
Ikon base pass is more cost effective but it has black out dates. Full pass is too costly to justify the usage.
Agree that someone living in the DC/NoVA area who has to manage vacation time would have a hard time saving much even with Ikon Base. Driving to Snowshoe is not worth the time IMHO except for families with kids who opt to stay for 3-4 days. For a working adult, getting some time in on the slopes at the Snowtime (soon to be Peak Resorts) ski areas that are a short drive away (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop) to be ready for a trip or two out west probably makes more sense.

Ikon is better for northeast folks than Epic. At least for 2018-19.

Ikon is better then Epic for folks who like to ski in Utah and aren't interested in Park City. That's unlikely to change now that Alta, Snowbird, Brighton are all partners and Alterra owns Solitude and Deer Valley. Just flying to SLC a few times to use Ikon for a season . . . wouldn't be so bad. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Missed that there are Friends & Family discounts associated with Ikon passes. Also discounts on other stuff at the Alterra mountains except Deer Valley.

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.50.40 PM.png

Jilly

Staff member
I'm going to have to check, but I know I get perks with the Ikon at Tremblant. I also bought an extra deal for 2 tune ups, 15 hot chocolate/coffees. I'm sure we get a discount on food and stuff at the resort own places.

Jilly

Staff member
10% off perks is good at all the unlimited areas on the base pass. We used get 15% on the old Tremblant full pass. And we only got 5 discounted tickets to use. But blackouts dates were associated with it. And they were better than 25% off.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got to wondering how the Ikon would work for Alta and Snowbird in 2018-19. The number of days is based on a combined total (5 or 7). I asked Ikon Customer Service whether the Ikon would work like a Alta/Snowbird combo pass, which is how the MCP worked for a few years. The answer is: "If you go to Alta one day and in that same day go to Snowbird, that would take two days off of your pass."

Last season the MCP was set up as separate for Alta and Snowbird, with 2 days included at each. That meant 50% off days at Alta were cheaper. For people staying at Alta or Snowbird, it was possible to at the other resort in the morning by taking a free shuttle or UTA bus and then ski back in the late afternoon without paying at the second resort. Meaning going over via Mineral Basin. We'll see if Ikon passholders get the same consideration.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a new webpage for opening dates for Ikon locations. There is no distinction made between Alterra and partner destinations.

I like that it's arranged by date, together with a section for NOW OPEN (Killington, Sunday River) and TBA. As of late Oct, at the TBA list includes Crystal, Sugarloaf, Loon, and Niseko. Most Ikon locations will be open by Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 24-25, 2018. Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, The Summit at Snoqualmie, and Revelstoke plan to open the following weekend. Although if Mother Nature cooperates I won't be surprised if Snowbird, Brighton, and/or Solitude move up their opening dates.

Always better to announce a later opening date and open earlier than the other way around. Snowbird got burned last season when they opened early and then had to close. Imagine there were some pretty unhappy customers who booked Snowbird resort lodging only to find there were no lifts open during their stay. Brighton is mostly a locals mountain since there is essentially no base lodging. Could be that most SLC locals don't bother to ski before December. Solitude is harder to guess with the ownership changes in recent years, and it does have resort lodging.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not too much of a surprise . . . Valle Nevada in Chile was added to Ikon 2018-19 for Summer 2019. It's been on the MCP for a few years.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Not too much of a surprise . . . Valle Nevada in Chile was added to Ikon 2018-19 for Summer 2019. It's been on the MCP for a few years.

It’s a sign. I’ve wanted to go back to Chile to ski ever since I was there for business in 2013. Maybe next summer!

snowysnow

Certified Ski Diva
Any Canadians receive their IKON pass yet? I'm getting anxious!

Chatted with customer service yesterday and they said it shipped from Colorado on October 22nd and "were aware that the Canada Post strike could be the cause of delays", which is kind of silly given it's nearly mid November. However, they used regular USPS (no tracking) so maybe it's possible that it takes this long?

Despite being able to go to Tremblant's customer service counter to get a temp pass, or whatnot, I really would like my first ever super-expensive pass and swag in my possession :/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna