• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ikon 2021- 22

Christy

Angel Diva
•The Summit at Snowqualmie, WA - Ikon 7/5, Boyne

I wonder what is in it for Boyne. The Snoqualmie ski areas are the busiest around since they are only 45 minutes from downtown Seattle and even closer to the burbs, so they aren't hurting for business. They don't have the kind of lodge facilities where people are going to drop a lot of money on booze., though you can get a beer. The compensation for each skier visit must be good.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I wonder what is in it for Boyne. The Snoqualmie ski areas . . .
I don't think a decision was made for each area separately for Boyne Resorts. Intrawest, Boyne, and Powdr created the MAX Pass a few years before Alterra evolved and created Ikon. That killed the MAX Pass, which was a great deal for people in the northeast. Boyne and Powdr clearly decided that joining forces with Alterra for Ikon had value in the long run, as direct competition to Vail Resort's Epic pass.

At the start, Boyne was limiting Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf to 5/7 days combined. That changed at the same time Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands were added to Ikon. Presumably that helped Boyne in the midwest, as well as in New England. Now they offer Ikon Base at a reduced price as a perk for the Boyne New England pass. Seems like a win-win situation for Alterra and Boyne.

Big Sky is also on the MCP, in addition to Ikon. So is Sugarloaf, but not Sunday River.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't think a decision was made for each area separately for Boyne Resorts. Intrawest, Boyne, and Powdr created the MAX Pass a few years before Alterra evolved and created Ikon. That killed the MAX Pass, which was a great deal for people in the northeast. Boyne and Powdr clearly decided that joining forces with Alterra for Ikon had value in the long run, as direct competition to Vail Resort's Epic pass.

At the start, Boyne was limiting Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf to 5/7 days combined. That changed at the same time Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands were added to Ikon. Presumably that helped Boyne in the midwest, as well as in New England. Now they offer Ikon Base at a reduced price as a perk for the Boyne New England pass. Seems like a win-win situation for Alterra and Boyne.

Big Sky is also on the MCP, in addition to Ikon. So is Sugarloaf, but not Sunday River.

Having the New England Pass (which includes Sugarloaf) gets us 50% off of MCP locations. Which is cool since Sunday River isn’t where I ski isn’t on it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Having the New England Pass (which includes Sugarloaf) gets us 50% off of MCP locations. Which is cool since Sunday River isn’t where I ski isn’t on it.
Interesting approach by Boyne. The New England Pass is quite a deal with 3 resorts plus perks. Is there any special deals for Big Sky? Or just 50% off lift tickets.

Pretty sure the independent resorts like Alta or JH offer 50% off other MCP locations in order to keep people from buying the MCP instead of a 1-location season pass. It doesn't get mentioned as often now that many people who travel have switched to Ikon.

I know that Mammoth was doing that during the early years of the MCP. Taos charged $100 to add the MCP reciprocal benefit to a Senior pass the year Bill decided to get one.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC - Sugarbush is now unlimited/unlimited with blackouts. Stratton is unlimited/unlimited with blackouts.
Thanks. I'll update at some point.

In general, people who are seriously considering Ikon should be checking the fine print for the resorts they intend to ski. For people who don't live in the northeast, that's probably only going to be destination resorts out west.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Interesting approach by Boyne. The New England Pass is quite a deal with 3 resorts plus perks. Is there any special deals for Big Sky? Or just 50% off lift tickets.

Pretty sure the independent resorts like Alta or JH offer 50% off other MCP locations in order to keep people from buying the MCP instead of a 1-location season pass. It doesn't get mentioned as often now that many people who travel have switched to Ikon.

I know that Mammoth was doing that during the early years of the MCP. Taos charged $100 to add the MCP reciprocal benefit to a Senior pass the year Bill decided to get one.

We get 3 days free at Big Sky (for gold and platinum level passes) and then 50% off after that. Same for Brighton, Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands, Cypress Mountain, and Summit at Snoqualmie.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh yeah, ski the bigger stuff out east, go to Brighton and Big Sky, and then swing by Michigan on the way home and I’ll take you to Boyne “Mountain” and Boyne Highlands!

Haha I am curious about the operations out there!

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know how quickly (if so) the Ikon pass sells out?
Hiya, If memory serves the pass will be available through mid-December and the early-bird rate is offered through the end of April; prices go up incrementally after that.

We're excited for Mammoth! We're bringing our kids (19 and 15) there at the end of the month for 3 days on the mountain. It'll be their first time skiing, so we'll see how it goes.
You might want to check out June Mountain as well... about 25-minutes north of Mammoth and included on the Ikon Pass. Very laid back and a wonderful place for beginners to enjoy stress-free learning in a beautiful setting. During weekends when Mammoth is busy, June is blissfully quiet and during weekdays it feels like you have your own private resort. June has a shorter season than Mammoth... closing day this year for June will be on April 11. @ski diva posted this photo of June which gives an idea of the beauty of the place.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
We didn't go there this year - took the cheap weekend pass at a smaller place that's a bit closer to home. When we did do an overnight, we went to their competitor up the road.
I stopped by and wandered around the bases of Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands, and Nubs Nob one summer when I was in Michigan for other reason. The Boyne resorts were started some major renovations. Have considered a ski safari to the midwest since I have relatives in MI, IL, and MN. Between Ikon and Indy, could check out quite a few places.

Does the midwest season usually end mid-March or can it last into late March?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I stopped by and wandered around the bases of Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands, and Nubs Nob one summer when I was in Michigan for other reason. The Boyne resorts were started some major renovations. Have considered a ski safari to the midwest since I have relatives in MI, IL, and MN. Between Ikon and Indy, could check out quite a few places.

Does the midwest season usually end mid-March or can it last into late March?
I consider anything after mid-March a gift. Caberfae is closing this weekend. Based on next week's forecast, I'll be surprised if the others don't close, too. Supposed to be 50s and rainy, even further north, where they are.

I think I've skied in Michigan in April exactly one time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I consider anything after mid-March a gift. Caberfae is closing this weekend. Based on next week's forecast, I'll be surprised if the others don't close, too. Supposed to be 50s and rainy, even further north, where they are.

I think I've skied in Michigan in April exactly one time.
Sounds like New England. I did a few ski safaris in NH/VT before my daughter's spring breaks when she was in Boston. I didn't plan in advance for any skiing by the time I drove her back mid-March.

yecatstrip

Certified Ski Diva
Hiya, If memory serves the pass will be available through mid-December and the early-bird rate is offered through the end of April; prices go up incrementally after that.

You might want to check out June Mountain as well... about 25-minutes north of Mammoth and included on the Ikon Pass. Very laid back and a wonderful place for beginners to enjoy stress-free learning in a beautiful setting. During weekends when Mammoth is busy, June is blissfully quiet and during weekdays it feels like you have your own private resort. June has a shorter season than Mammoth... closing day this year for June will be on April 11. @ski diva posted this photo of June which gives an idea of the beauty of the place.

June Mountain looks beautiful! We'll definitely add that to the list.

My husband and I actually just booked in Squaw Valley for April 12th to take advantage of the Spring ski season with our IKON pass. But we'll definitely have to look into June Mountain for another trip.

I've been trying to head up to our local mountain (BBMR) to get more time under my belt, so far so good. The IKON pass is already paying for itself!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@marzNC - I think there’s the Midwest and the UPPPPPPER Midwest. LOL.
Reg Midwest? This year looks to be wrapped or soon. Upper Midwest may make it longer.

Even at the places we go that have north-facing slopes, the sun and warmth have really affected the base or eroded it away. I know that 3 hours north of here they’re doing better, so I imagine that 6-7 hours north of here it’s EVEN better.

Lutsen (WAAAAAY northern MN) guarantees that they will be operational through April, and I think mid may is their TARGET closing. Their Wisconsin sister is targeting April 18 but conditions are dicey. I think the UP/anything around Lake Superior can make it into April this year, and we have definitely had years that skiing into April would have been feasible, but this is definitely NOT that year.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if there will be any refund via adventure assurance if “all destinations” was selected - as in, did any resorts actually close due to Covid for any amount of time? I know the ones in California didn’t, even when lodging was closed, but wondering if I should hold off buying until Apr 19 just in case.

Jilly

Staff member
The only resort that closed that I know of, it Blue Mountain in Collingwood. It was closed for 7 weeks by the Ontario government. Not sure what that gives you. I declared Tremblant, so I get $0

Bookworm

Angel Diva
@marzNC - I think there’s the Midwest and the UPPPPPPER Midwest. LOL.
Reg Midwest? This year looks to be wrapped or soon. Upper Midwest may make it longer.

Even at the places we go that have north-facing slopes, the sun and warmth have really affected the base or eroded it away. I know that 3 hours north of here they’re doing better, so I imagine that 6-7 hours north of here it’s EVEN better.

Lutsen (WAAAAAY northern MN) guarantees that they will be operational through April, and I think mid may is their TARGET closing. Their Wisconsin sister is targeting April 18 but conditions are dicey. I think the UP/anything around Lake Superior can make it into April this year, and we have definitely had years that skiing into April would have been feasible, but this is definitely NOT that year.
There's the Midwest and then there's DA RANGE!

Christy

Angel Diva
Okay, this is weird. For years Crystal has had a "bikini and board shorts downhill". I liked this as it was clear this was an event for men and women. This year I notice they've changed it to just the Bikini Downhill. There's no mention of men or shorts at all but now there's a calendar contest! Reading the event promo a person could reasonably conclude this was just meant for women in bikinis. What gives, Alterra?

https://www.crystalmountainresort.com/things-to-do/event-calendar/bikini-downhill-2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna