• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

If you're looking for a refund because of COVID-19....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting article on getting a refund from the resorts, airlines, rental car companies and hotels.

Anyone tried or trying to get one? What's been your experience?

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
I am in the thick of this. Flight to Florida (for last Saturday). Cancelled ASAP, but booked through credit card points. Have had 4 emails, but nothing that states - here it is. Most likely it will be a voucher to use later.

Hotel for said trip. My friend booked that through Reservations.com. She's been trying for at least 3 weeks already. They took her money back in DECEMBER!! Personally I don't use these sites after a bad experience with Expedia a few years ago. She's had an email yesterday..another 5-10 days.

Flight to France. (August) Again booked through credit card points. They won't even look at it till after May 1. If I have a choice I'll take a refund on this one.

Hotel in France - I put down a deposit, but that was all. The travel agent is looking after that.

Hotel for a July competition. I booked direct with Marriot, so no problem cancelling.

As for skiing - had a friend book at Tremblant for some spring skiing. Every penny returned. That's the way to do business.

One thing I'm worried about is if a voucher is given....will the hotel/airline still be operational. Some of the airlines have been on "last legs" for awhile....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Flight to Reno: Credit on Southwest for 2 years
Ground trans to South Lake Tahoe: Credit for 1 year
Accommodations : Timeshare week saved so will have 2 weeks next year

Flight to Crested Butte: United Airlines voucher good for 2 years
Accommodations: Cancelled two weeks in advance so no $$$ involved

Flight to Nice: London to Nice cancelled by British Airways so I cancelled the entire booking. Waiting on full refund - cannot get through as they are not taking calls (but urging to call if booked through BA directly which I did). Now the site shows my booking cancelled but waiting to hear from me. WTF I can't get through if they're not taking calls.
Flight Nice to Barcelona: Vueling airlines (spanish airlines) is offering credit only for another flight within a year. No refunds .
Hotel in Nice - No $$$ upfront and cancelled in time
Airbnb in Barcelona - Full refund for deposit haa been processed and received. Friend booked and already sent me my half.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm going to wait and see with my late June airline trip to AK that is off due to national park closures. Alaska Air is letting people cancel or change for trips through May 31st at the moment. Rather than add to their deluge of calls I'm going to wait and see if they extend their timeline. At the moment all travelers to AK have to quarantine (real quarantine) for 14 days and I don't think they have an end date for that.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have a ski trip but a flight to Bermuda in June booked with points. If it were SWA I wouldn't think a thing about getting points back with a cancel. Venture card? Not sure yet. Letting it ride for now since the Delta flight still shows as going. I expect Bermuda would prefer off island folk stayed away for a while.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got a hotel deposit back, but that was expected.
Delta extended credits for 2 years, so I have a credit with them through May 31 2022
I received a credit on Jetblue good for 2 years.
United I haven't done anything with yet, but I think that credit will be good for 2 yrs from date of original date of ticket issue.
Hawaiian Air I'm also waiting on as well--haven't done a thing with it. The flight no longer appears online so nobody new can book it, but it has not been officially canceled yet--but I'm assuming it will be. I'm hoping they are not playing some silly game like "ha we zeroed out the flight so it no longer appears on the schedule, but we didn't officially cancel it, so you are not entitled to a refund". It's not until May 3, so there is still time. It was the nonstop flight from Oahu to Boston and booked in business class so we have a considerable sum to lose on that one--so it will really frost me if we are only given a credit that will expire before we can use it.

Christy

Angel Diva
In September we were flying a regional carrier called Ravn Air to King Salmon AK. They just went bankrupt, ceased all operations and laid off all employees. We booked through Alaska Airlines so I think they will have to figure something out for us. My sister-in-law booked with them directly though. It's a pretty expensive ticket for only being an hour long flight--$500. What happens when a person has paid for a ticket and an airline goes belly up? Probably nothing good.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
We have a trip to China scheduled for late October. At this point we have the option to reschedule or to apply the funds to a different trip. The TA says that they will be listing a number of new trips. I'm not sure that I am interested in any foreign travel for the foreseeable future.

I would prefer to get a full refund. One big concern is whether the TA will actually be in business in 6 months.

If the situation doesn't improve by October and the flight is cancelled, perhaps we will get a refund. I'm really torn on how to proceed.

Christy

Angel Diva
We have a trip to China scheduled for late October. At this point we have the option to reschedule or to apply the funds to a different trip. The TA says that they will be listing a number of new trips. I'm not sure that I am interested in any foreign travel for the foreseeable future.

I would prefer to get a full refund. One big concern is whether the TA will actually be in business in 6 months.

If the situation doesn't improve by October and the flight is cancelled, perhaps we will get a refund. I'm really torn on how to proceed.

I think that is a very valid concern. I'm reading a lot of travel articles about this, and the biggest problems seem to be when people book through third-party sites or travel agents. They pay those sites or travel agents, but those entities don't necessarily pay for hotels, airfare, etc. right away. So say your travel agent does go out of business-- you might be completely out of luck with airlines etc. because they may not have been paid for.

newboots

Angel Diva
In September we were flying a regional carrier called Ravn Air to King Salmon AK. They just went bankrupt, ceased all operations and laid off all employees. We booked through Alaska Airlines so I think they will have to figure something out for us. My sister-in-law booked with them directly though. It's a pretty expensive ticket for only being an hour long flight--$500. What happens when a person has paid for a ticket and an airline goes belly up? Probably nothing good.

It happened to me - in Alaska! No refund.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Banff trip United credited us back the whole tickets (verbally, haven’t seen it in the credit card statement yet) — because the Air Canada partner leg of the trip was cancelled both ways, if it had just been us “choosing” not to travel it would have been a voucher credit the representative said.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Woo hoo ! Saw my pending credit for British Airways flight cancellation a month ago on my credit card.... That was the big one (premium economy to boot)..... others are smaller potatoes and will be credits not refunds....
Maybe I should buy some skis !

Jilly

Staff member
OK, this is a bit of a whine. Not something I usually do but....Our dragon boat club has a camp in Florida. Should be there right now. So I wasn't sure about going to camp. April can be a busy month, lots of quoting. The expense of the camp. I just wasn't sure. Then when I was placed on the world crew I knew I needed to go. So a friend had signed up and booked a room back in December. Her husband was going to go with her and play some golf. Then in February he decided he didn't want to go. So she was left with this room, that she had already paid Reservations.com for. When I decided to go, I called her and said I would take the 1/2 of the room. She gave me the amount and I transferred to her.

Now everything is cancelled because of no flights out of the country. She's been trying for 3 weeks to get her money back from Reservations.com. I got a text message on the weekend that it might take another 5-10 days.

Now remember she already paid for this back in December...If the tables were turned, I would have already gave her, her money back and it would be my fight with Reservations.com. Also I don't use these websites anymore. Had a bad experience 3 years ago with a trip to WB. All the rest of the crew have gotten' their money back from the hotel as they booked direct with the hotel.

Am I being mean? Thanks for whine time....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well my friend booked an Airbnb in Barcelona and put a deposit down. I paid her half the deposit... Moving forward she cancelled and said she would pay me as soon as she got refund as didn't know if she would get the entire deposit back... Ultimately she did and paid me my half... your friend had a planned trip without you so a little different..

Christy

Angel Diva
OK, this is a bit of a whine. Not something I usually do but....Our dragon boat club has a camp in Florida. Should be there right now. So I wasn't sure about going to camp. April can be a busy month, lots of quoting. The expense of the camp. I just wasn't sure. Then when I was placed on the world crew I knew I needed to go. So a friend had signed up and booked a room back in December. Her husband was going to go with her and play some golf. Then in February he decided he didn't want to go. So she was left with this room, that she had already paid Reservations.com for. When I decided to go, I called her and said I would take the 1/2 of the room. She gave me the amount and I transferred to her.

Now everything is cancelled because of no flights out of the country. She's been trying for 3 weeks to get her money back from Reservations.com. I got a text message on the weekend that it might take another 5-10 days.

Now remember she already paid for this back in December...If the tables were turned, I would have already gave her, her money back and it would be my fight with Reservations.com. Also I don't use these websites anymore. Had a bad experience 3 years ago with a trip to WB. All the rest of the crew have gotten' their money back from the hotel as they booked direct with the hotel.

Am I being mean? Thanks for whine time....

You aren't being mean or whiny. No one wants to lose money on top of losing out on their vacation. It's a bummer. I'm sure travel companies are slammed right now plus they probably don't have as many employees, so I'd try to be patient for a while. However I'm sure quite a few of us will end up just losing money from a vacation not taken. I mentioned in another thread the airline in Alaska that went out of business that we are booked on. I bet quite a few places or travel companies will go out of business and not be able to refund money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly