• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

If I could change one thing about skiing, it would be.....

Jazza

Certified Ski Diva
Erm..
1. That the Alps were located in south east England, and/or
2. That I lived in a country with proper mountains;
3. That the euro plummeted in value against sterling and there was a property crash in the ski chalet market so that I could afford one;

Meanwhile...back In the real world...something that could in theory be changed...it would be great to have "in bounds" patrolled off piste skiing here in the Alps. Not that it stops anyone...I gather there's a myth going round in North America that no-one skis off piste here in Europe. You only have to see the tracks all over the mountains just from today to know that that is rubbish. But it's all at our own risk. Trouble is, the area is so huge, I'm not sure they could delineate an area capable of being managed that way; it might give people a false sense of security'.
Get in line, Perty!!
In addition to Perry’s first two points, I would add:
- cheaper lift passes (or at least the option to have a limited area pass). It’s €300 for a 6 day pass for the Arlberg ski region (St Anton, St Christoph, Stuben, Zurs, Lech, Warth, Sonnenkopf) but that area is HUGE! Would be great to be able to have a cheaper pass if you knew you would not range as far.
- comfy boots! I remolded mine last year and I D’s covered new pressure points. I can never get them adjusted just right so I keep having to tweak in between runs. I even took them off at lunch a few times! Time for a new pair?
- out of control skiers and boarders. One wiped me out 28 years ago so I needed knee surgery, another wiped out my daughter last year (no parent should have to watch their child being winched off the mountain beneath a helicopter!
- oh and some magic fairy dust to make me ski like a local!

Jazza

Certified Ski Diva
It's funny you should say that Lilywhite. I had an interesting chat with my last French instructor, who was busy pouring scorn on the French skiers, making all the same comments about them that you just made about the Brits. He then went on to say that in his experience, us Brits, together with the Dutch were very keen on having lots of lessons, as we all wanted to be good, technical skiers!

Anyhow, one thing I would get rid of is people who queue jump, either at the lifts, the lift pass office, or anywhere else for that matter!
Queue jumping is a national pastime in some countries (you the ones I mean if you are a Brit)! I completely agree with you. It is one of the reasons why, since having kids, we ski in Austria instead of France. I confess, I went native when I lived there so I am not sitting up straight on my high horse!!

Jazza

Certified Ski Diva
So in addition to the excellent points made by all of you, I would add some magical potion to make me 100% fluent in the local language so I could get the most out of my lessons. I notice when a native instructor is stuck with a bunch of skiers who don’t speak the local language we miss out so much on the technical side of the lessons. It resorts to “follow my line” which is not especially helpful. I was thinking of going to Italy next year but my Italian is soo limited I fear lessons would be dire (and even worse for my kids and husband!)

kiki

Angel Diva
I totally agree with you! I think of myself as a decent skier but I want to get better! I am so envious when I see those 70 year old grannies going down runs looking perfectly poised, in control with amazing technique!
i have not had lessons recently and I regret it! I love lessons but felt I was just not able to keep up with a group after hip surgeries (I tend to need a break every few runs). I’m on my way back from a week in St Anton and I wish I’d had a private lesson like I did after my first hip surgery. I’ll do so when I go back next month.
i like to think that when we are on the mountain with two planks strapped to our feet, skiing is a life skill. We should have lessons so we can ski safely
@Jazza i take group lessons and there are a lot of people who need frequent breaks, don’t let that hold you back!

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a fun thread! I love all these suggestions.

My suggestions for improvement:
  • affordable lessons in the US with a much greater share of $$$ going to the instructor
  • European-style delicious lunches and après at more North American resorts... and don’t make us pay $100 for a nice lunch while in many French resorts 25€ gets a lovely 3-course lunch and a carafe of wine
  • interconnected resort areas wherever possible e.g. One Wasatch
  • more trails exclusively skiers or snowboarders keeping many areas mixed but allowing options for those who would better enjoy separate areas
  • remove the tinny loudspeakers from the chairlift (and don’t get me started on the bluetooth speakers in skiers’ backpacks). I go to the mountains to connect to nature, the music is misplaced (music a the après bar is a different scenario)
  • whoever suggested eliminating stairs to restrooms is a genius and should be given her own resort to manage

marzNC

Angel Diva
  • interconnected resort areas wherever possible e.g. One Wasatch
Not in favor of One Wasatch. But I think the idea of a gondolas in individual canyons as a substitute for driving is a good idea.

Having good free bus service like Aspen or Steamboat at all destination resorts would be nice. Meaning big buses with plenty of seating and a place to put skis outside, and schedules that mean a bus goes by every 10-15 minutes all day long.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not in favor of One Wasatch. But I think the idea of a gondolas in individual canyons as a substitute for driving is a good idea.

Having good free bus service like Aspen or Steamboat at all destination resorts would be nice. Meaning big buses with plenty of seating and a place to put skis outside, and schedules that mean a bus goes by every 10-15 minutes all day long.
I just love big interconnected resorts like in the French Alps where I arrive and have no need nor desire for a car. As a flatlander who is tentative on snowy mountain roads I use mountain public transportation whenever possible. The experience has been altogether more fun when resorts are interlinked with gondola, tram, funicular, and train. The only place I’ve visited where the mountain bus service was 100% easy, and convenient was Aspen. The UTA and Park City both leave ample room for improvement.

I found this overlay map comparing One Wasach with the 3-Valleys and it has left me and dreaming for the day when US residents will again be welcome in Europe *sigh*

4704E438-CA2B-4387-BBE6-66DB62A345EB.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
I found this overlay map comparing One Wasach with the 3-Valleys and it has left me and dreaming for the day when US residents will again be welcome in Europe *sigh*
Have you skied in LCC or BCC? Utah is not in Europe. The cultural acceptance of public transport is very different in the U.S. in general. Only a few cities can match what's normal in European countries. Same for the food. But not a discussion for this fantasy thread.

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
+1 on Perty's first comment

My husband was called a few weeks ago for a gig in Switzerland, unfortunately he was over qualified for the job (read, it didn't pay enough).... but for a few fleeting moments, I thought - :banana: maybe...

No offense to Utah friends, but skiing aside, I absolutely hated living, or should I say working, in Utah. I just couldn't deal with the culture, the conservative - church guided politics, it really rubbed me wrong...

But yeah, changing where I live would work for me.

1) That aside, in France, the unthinkably rude French folk that are completely vacant of any ounce of respect for a queue in a lift line!
2) My condition, which I actually have some control over

Utah can be tough at times. I spent all of my 20's and a lot of my 30's wanting to leave. Then as my kids grew older there were certain aspects that I've grown to appreciate. I'm still stuck here, but will admit that I'm thankful to have close access to skiing, despite the other challenges. Especially with children learning to ski. I grew up in a very large family and we spent a lot time together skiing when we were younger. I regret that I didn't spend more time learning to get better and less time hanging out in the lodge. But now that my kids are learning, I appreciate that we can be on the mountain in 45-50 minutes and do not have to spend the entire day there. Little bits of practice and learning at a time.

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
I want a Tazer built in to my ski pole to use on:
a. Large groups of snowboarders who sit in the middle of the hill just under the lip of an overhang and out of sight of the uphill skiers.
b. Race team brats who cut the lift line during practice
c. People who have no concept of getting off the lift straight without cutting across my path
d. Teens who ski backwards at high speeds. It's not the job of the downhill skier to stay out of their blind spot.
e. AND the parents who allow this behavior.

Ok, maybe some fashionable, technical skiwear for round women. We want something besides black ski pants, too.
I second A-E.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okaaay here we go -
A) Less loudmouth obnoxious guys who think they are all that and a bag of chips, often prevalent in the lift lines.
B) People who put their ski's down to hold their place in the queue on a powder day ..... A and B are often the same people :wink:
C) People who dont respect the code of conduct, race past you and only just miss taking you out. Generally big blokes with very little skill just a lot of weight behind them and a whole heap of uncontrolled speed ....... A, B and now C have a lot of similar characteristics.
D) In the words of my Ski Patroller son "Less D*&^@#?DS" ...... see A,B,C and now D !!!!

Other than that I wouldnt change a thing except for MORE SNOW !!! :ski:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly