• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

If I could change one thing about skiing, it would be.....

3VSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
...... the price you pay for inattention .... I've just returned from a week of skiing with the mother of all cold sores on my lip. A horrible reminder that my sunblock for my lips was woefully inadequate. The children and Mr 3VSki have incredible goggle tans so perhaps the sunblock has passed its Use-By date .... is there such a thing for sunblock and lipblock?

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nothing, apart from making me better at it!

I wish the mountains were closer, but you could argue I could just move to the Alps. Unfortunately that's just not possible.

Jenny

Angel Diva
...... the price you pay for inattention .... I've just returned from a week of skiing with the mother of all cold sores on my lip. A horrible reminder that my sunblock for my lips was woefully inadequate. The children and Mr 3VSki have incredible goggle tans so perhaps the sunblock has passed its Use-By date .... is there such a thing for sunblock and lipblock?
Yep, there is. Not that I haven't used it past that date, but it does supposedly lose some of its effectiveness. Hope you heal fast, those things suck!

LA Coombs

Certified Ski Diva
Wind holds on lifts. We got 10” of fresh powder on Tuesday at my home mountain and four major lifts were on wind hold for all of Wednesday, so much of the best terrain was inaccessible! We hiked to get to some terrain, but that is awfully tiring!

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Climate change... Headed to the UP to ski next weekend, because I've only been out twice locally all season. We used to have local season passes and would ski every weekend. Best season, I skied 18 days. (Which is pretty good for the flat Midwest, and for having a full time job two hours from the hill.) This is the only thing that keeps me going all winter and the weather has been downright depressing.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The cost, the lack of access as a result of the cost, the environmental impact of snow making and travel to destination ski areas. I know, 2 are contradictory, but life is complex that way.

kiki

Angel Diva
For me
1. Segregated areas with no snowboarders / get rid of snowboarders
2. Reduce crowds on hill
3. Shorter gondolla and lift lines

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Along with teleportation, I wish you could just wink into your gear. I don't mind getting boots on, but I hate how I get really hot while getting all your gear on before stomping off to the locker room. My run down to the gondola is often done with totally fogged up goggles because I've worked up such a sweat by the time I get going.

Getting rid of Vail Corp would be nice (although I thought the food at Vail itself was 3x better than at Whistler when I skied there in 2013, so it's my great disappointment that Vail has only induced a 10% improvement in food quality at WB....)

@kiki - a chondola at Blackcomb instead of a gondola would have been a huge quality of life improvement too. I miss being able to lap mid-mountain

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
The cost, the lack of access as a result of the cost

I second this one. Personally I don't mind paying, but the (end to end) cost prohibits the majority of people from even trying it, let along becoming proficient at it. That's a shame.

Also also support the climate change aspect, though that goes well beyond skiing.

For my own input, I am reflecting on how to formulate it. In someways I think, "obsession" with speed", but that's not really it. I suppose I'd wish for better speed/skill segregation. That said, it is not a good suggestion, since I also like the wide open access of all parts of the mountain. I'll have to think harder for a meaningful contribution here...

Jazza

Certified Ski Diva
The average Brits attitude to lessons and the snobbery that goes with it. I like lessons, I like pushing myself, I want to be able to confidently ski the whole mountain and not worry about taking a wrong turn on the piste map and ending up on something I can't enjoy safely.

With an average 6-12 days on mountain and maybe 6 days on either a dry slope or in a dome per year that allows for little progress at a time and a long time between sessions to lose it again.

It seems that once the average Brit can get down a red they feel no need to continue learning. Whilst I understand that skiing is a social holiday and people don't want to feel like they are on a timetable and have little freedom to choose their own agenda surely the increase in confidence and freedom on the mountain that a couple of lessons per holiday gives you is worth it? I usually sign up to 3x2hr lessons in the morning or 2x3hr private lessons on the 1st and 3rd day then ski freely with the group the rest of the time.

It annoys me when a group of us go together and I'm pressured to not bother with lessons "because you don't need them" or "we came away to ski together" or "save your money for the bar". Yes my friends are a lot of fun and they are pretty fearless but they are not actually great skiers (not that I am) and they sometimes worry me with the decision making of which runs to take at what speed. Straightlining the hill is all well and good when your trying to maintain momentum for the upcoming flat/incline but not for enjoying a great run, besides, the less time spent on lifts the better.

Before the other Brits on here get offended I am not suggesting everyone is the same, the sheer fact you girls are on here would suggest your serious about your skiing and probably don't take the view above x
I totally agree with you! I think of myself as a decent skier but I want to get better! I am so envious when I see those 70 year old grannies going down runs looking perfectly poised, in control with amazing technique!
i have not had lessons recently and I regret it! I love lessons but felt I was just not able to keep up with a group after hip surgeries (I tend to need a break every few runs). I’m on my way back from a week in St Anton and I wish I’d had a private lesson like I did after my first hip surgery. I’ll do so when I go back next month.
i like to think that when we are on the mountain with two planks strapped to our feet, skiing is a life skill. We should have lessons so we can ski safely

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly