• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

If I could change one thing about skiing, it would be.....

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want my ski boots to feel like snug, fuzzy warm slippers. Secure yet comfy. :smile:

All the talk of queuing reminds me of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, "Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue."

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Killington has a super senior (80 and over) pass this year that's $39 and no blackout dates!

You make my point! Senior discounts used to start at 60 or 65 - and it's pretty good to be skiing at that age. Then the "senior" age started increasing, incidentally just as more seniors started skiing. Now you tell me Killington offers a "super" senior pass? How generous of them: I'll only have to ski another 13 years to qualify. I'll bet that offer looks good on their website but doesn't cost them much at all.

How about a senior discount that does retirees, people on a fixed income, some real good? And don't design it to kick in later than the average life expectancy! :mad:

SkiMoose

Certified Ski Diva
Sorry to upset you. I didn't mean to imply that that was the only senior discount... I'm just impressed that there are people over 80 who still ski regularly!

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am laughing like a drain at the comments on British people and queuing! It is something of a national pastime, and the etiquette of how to do so 'properly' is pretty important to us. We love a nice orderly queue!
I have never skied in France so have yet to experience the lack of respect by our cross-channel neighbours for our little hobby but have never had major issues in either Austria or Switzerland with pushing in. A couple of times in Vail I was mortified to find that I had inadvertently cut in front of someone due to slightly confusing rope mazes.

Things I would like to change about skiing:
1. I am definitely in for a teleportation device as suggested by Christy, I love my patch of the UK in many ways but distance to the mountains and therefore the cost of getting there and the time taken to do it isn't one of them.

2. Sharing the mountain with boarders who sit down in the snow in really stupid places (like on corners of narrow runs, or just over the brow of rollers) then complain loudly if a teeny bit of your snowplume goes over them! Don't sit down there then!!

abc

Banned
It annoys me when a group of us go together and I'm pressured to not bother with lessons "because you don't need them" or "we came away to ski together" or "save your money for the bar". Yes my friends are a lot of fun and they are pretty fearless but they are not actually great skiers (not that I am) and they sometimes worry me with the decision making of which runs to take at what speed. Straightlining the hill is all well and good when your trying to maintain momentum for the upcoming flat/incline but not for enjoying a great run, besides, the less time spent on lifts the better.
Sounds like you need different set of ski friends.

I'm fine with people who want to take lessons or not want to take lessons. But I have no tolerance for people who wants to strong-arm their believe on me!

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ABC, you can be sure that these types don't go a second time with us. They generally don't fit in with the way we do holidays in other ways too.
For example we tend to self cater in a large group with everyone mucking in, we don't do a rota but usually someone will get up and make coffee while a couple cook breakfast, someone else lays/clears the table and whoever is last up gets everyones gear out of the shed. Evening meals are similar, we take it turns to shop/wax skis etc or we go out. No one is obliged to do everything together all the time and can dip in or out of group activities as the mood takes them just let whoevers cooking know as a courtesy.
Often we don't all ski together so we might suggest a meeting point late morning/early afternoon at a specific hut to meet up but again there is no "must" but please let someone know if your not joining us so we don't worry about you.
Our core group are all laid back easy going types, some are more serious about the skiing than others, there a mix of age/ability/alcohol consumption etc we have learned the hard way how to be more choosy about new people joining the group.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to upset you. I didn't mean to imply that that was the only senior discount... I'm just impressed that there are people over 80 who still ski regularly!

No worries, SkiMoose! YOU didn't upset me: the whole subject does! We're impressed that people that old ski too . . . In fact there are days when I'm surprised that people MY age do! They do though, and thus the ever higher age limit.

On the same, or a related, subject, the rumor here is that next year's season passes will be $100 more ($899), but will include Moonlight Basin (what is called a Lone Peak Pass). We never ski over there, except on the several shared slopes (and almost never those either), but it might be fun if one didn't have to pay extra each time (when there's more than one can possibly ski on our side!). Just so no one expects me to actually go there FROM Lone Peak . . . their side is seriously steep, I hear! The rest, not so much.

vetski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would want to change....the way my butt looks in ski pants. When I ski, my butt looks so amazing that I find I attract a huge group of male admirers.....and the whole thing just ends up being a big distraction. :rolleyes:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2. Sharing the mountain with boarders who sit down in the snow in really stupid places (like on corners of narrow runs, or just over the brow of rollers) then complain loudly if a teeny bit of your snowplume goes over them! Don't sit down there then!!

I can get a really impressive rooster tail out of my Rossi S3s if I want to. I make sure to do that when I find boarders having a picnic or holding a conference call in the middle of the run. The joys of being able to turn exactly where I want to, and to do it on a dime.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My things to change:
1. January Thaw. Lose it. No more melting the hill and refreezing it in the middle of the season.
2. Sizing of women's technical gear. Standardize it. And no size under 16 should be referred to as "XL".
3. Low rise ski pants.
4. Plumber's crack and boxer shorts on teenaged boarders. I'm sure you can get it from skiers, but the position of boarders makes sure we ALL see it.
5. People who throw crap off the lift lose their ticket for the day or get their pass clipped.
6. Jerks who execute GS turns on crowded blue slopes at 45 mph are summarily executed by having their heads chopped off with the edge of a ski that requires a tune.
7. Same goes for idiots who take anyone who is at the "pizza turn" stage of learning on to black slopes.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can get a really impressive rooster tail out of my Rossi S3s if I want to. I make sure to do that when I find boarders having a picnic or holding a conference call in the middle of the run. The joys of being able to turn exactly where I want to, and to do it on a dime.

Ha ha! I know it's a bit naughty but it's so funny. My husband once absolutely showered 3 boarders who had camped out in the best drop-in spot of a popular red run, meaning people were forced to take a much steeper line off the shelf to go around them, and had been parked there a good 20 minutes. He apologised to them to keep the peace but it was very deliberate, as like you he turns (or stops in this case) on a dime.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would want to change....the way my butt looks in ski pants. When I ski, my butt looks so amazing that I find I attract a huge group of male admirers.....and the whole thing just ends up being a big distraction. :rolleyes:

:hurt: I love it!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want a Tazer built in to my ski pole to use on:
a. Large groups of snowboarders who sit in the middle of the hill just under the lip of an overhang and out of sight of the uphill skiers.
b. Race team brats who cut the lift line during practice
c. People who have no concept of getting off the lift straight without cutting across my path
d. Teens who ski backwards at high speeds. It's not the job of the downhill skier to stay out of their blind spot.
e. AND the parents who allow this behavior.

Ok, maybe some fashionable, technical skiwear for round women. We want something besides black ski pants, too.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ooooh. a tazer. liking that, you'd get a better range than if you just had a sharpened ski pole.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
going back to the queuing issue. As a died on the wool, polite Brit, I confess I have adopted the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to queuing in the Alps. Here are my tips and techniques!
  • Can't bear the ditherers, they will be skied around. If you have been stupid enough to stare into space and there is white snow and space for a pair of skis in front of you, don't be surprised if my skis fill the gap!
  • Always go around the outside of the bend in a queue-gets you up front sooner. No-one seems to realise this. Don't get stuck on the inside of a bend as it's impossible to get your skis around.
  • Tactical planting of ski poles and skis always work to stop someone getting in front of you..
  • If there's a singles queue (not often in the Alps)-use it, even if you are in a group, not sitting with your friends and family is a small price to pay.

Now...I wouldn't call my self a queue jumper, I am just a queue "optimiser"...:ski3:
I have to say though, this season, the lift queues in the 3V have been few and far between, and with a decent bit of route planning, and getting up the mountain before the ski school groups set off, it's easy to avoid the black spots! There has been such huge investment every year in the lift system, that things are constantly improving (Whistler take note-time to upgrade the 4 pack chairlifts!!)

vetski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
3. Low rise ski pants.

:confused:
What's the deal with low-rise ski pants? I don't get it....isn't that just a preference? I happen to dislike high-rise ski pants....so I don't buy them. Has there been a problem with people buying pants that are supposed to be normal-rise and they end up being low-rise? This is like the 4th time I've seen them mentioned on the forum lately, and with great disdain! LOL
I realize:focus:, just curious.

vetski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:confused:
What's the deal with low-rise ski pants? I don't get it....isn't that just a preference? I happen to dislike high-rise ski pants....so I don't buy them. Has there been a problem with people buying pants that are supposed to be normal-rise and they end up being low-rise? This is like the 4th time I've seen them mentioned on the forum lately, and with great disdain! LOL
I realize:focus:, just curious.

OH WAIT.....are we talking about the peek-a-boos from other people's low-rise pants??? If so, I totally get that! I keep my crack in check.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the problem is that the low-rise has become so prevalent, and normal or high-rise are harder to find. Not only do low-rise not suit me (age-wise and figure-wise), but I just don't want to risk snow going where it doesn't belong. I'm waiting for bibs to come back. Maybe if all styles, cuts, colours, etc were represented equally in the market...

vetski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the problem is that the low-rise has become so prevalent, and normal or high-rise are harder to find. Not only do low-rise not suit me (age-wise and figure-wise), but I just don't want to risk snow going where it doesn't belong. I'm waiting for bibs to come back. Maybe if all styles, cuts, colours, etc were represented equally in the market...

Geez, I had no idea! I thought the low-rise were hard to find! Guess I haven't tried on enough ski pants. OK, thanks for the education!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly