• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

If I could change one thing about skiing, it would be.....

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Or maybe they are equally represented, and I just have a knack of pulling the ones off the rack that aren't going to fit. Sigh. I guess that means I just have to go shopping more often to find the right ones.

But back on topic... I would want resorts to limit snow making to when the trail is closed. Between the frozen polka-dots on my goggles, the stinging on my face if I'm not prepared and fully covered, and sometimes unpredictable snow (mix of fast and slow) I just don't like it.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But back on topic... I would want resorts to limit snow making to when the trail is closed. Between the frozen polka-dots on my goggles, the stinging on my face if I'm not prepared and fully covered, and sometimes unpredictable snow (mix of fast and slow) I just don't like it.

I think this has a lot to do with the snowmaking technology in use. My home mountain uses fan guns almost exclusively. Skiing and riding under those is just like skiing or riding in a natural snowstorm - it's powder falling from 30 feet overhead. The old-school cannons, the ones that are low to the slope and shoot out something other than powder, yeah, those aren't nice to ski in at all.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:confused:
What's the deal with low-rise ski pants? I don't get it....isn't that just a preference? I happen to dislike high-rise ski pants....so I don't buy them. Has there been a problem with people buying pants that are supposed to be normal-rise and they end up being low-rise? This is like the 4th time I've seen them mentioned on the forum lately, and with great disdain! LOL
I realize:focus:, just curious.

It's both - both the peek-a-boo from other people's ill-advised low-riders, and it's also what has happened to low-rise in general. I, myself, prefer a slightly low rise. I want my waistband to sit about 2 fingers under my navel. What we're getting lately off the racks is ULTRA low-rise, where the zipper is about 3" long. I'd say that half the ski pants I tried on in my abortive attempt to buy new pants this year turned out to be Plumber Butt Pants. The kind that is - I guess - supposed to expose your saaaxy saaaxy thong back when you shift your weight forward to start a run.

vetski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's both - both the peek-a-boo from other people's ill-advised low-riders, and it's also what has happened to low-rise in general. I, myself, prefer a slightly low rise. I want my waistband to sit about 2 fingers under my navel. What we're getting lately off the racks is ULTRA low-rise, where the zipper is about 3" long. I'd say that half the ski pants I tried on in my abortive attempt to buy new pants this year turned out to be Plumber Butt Pants. The kind that is - I guess - supposed to expose your saaaxy saaaxy thong back when you shift your weight forward to start a run.

So after I stopped laughing, I had to go check out my own pants to see which category they would be in. But I'm even more confused. They are TNF low rise boot cut, but the zipper is about 4 inches long. They sit about 3.5 fingers below my navel....is everyone's navel in the same spot? LOL....probably spending too much time thinking about pants. I would never ever wear low rise jeans....I like my pants just below the natural waistline, which I think is where my ski pants sit. And there is no chance in hell my crack ever shows. Even if it wanted to make an appearance, I have too many layers tucked in.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I haven't seen any thing that low at all. Everything I've tried I has been just a couple of fingers below the waist. Many are meant to be worn with a belt, too.

SkiMoose

Certified Ski Diva
I'm waiting for bibs to come back. Maybe if all styles, cuts, colours, etc were represented equally in the market...

I'm so short I have to buy kid's ski pants, because otherwise the legs are about 8" too long. It's hard to find anything other than bib-style pants.... and I hate having to get nearly completely undressed just to pee. :embarrassed:

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not a fan of the boarders having high tea in the middle of the slope either. I would change the fact that our little local hill chops the resort in half and closes off the best run for racing nearly every weekend, sending all the adventurous noobs to the most difficult terrain, which makes it dangerous and also prime ground for snowboarder tea parties. I'd make the season longer, the snow better, and altitude change (unrealistically speaking, of course) no big deal for flatlanders.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Definitely understand that skiing under snow guns that are firing isn't fun, but when the base is thin then I don't mind. Meaning under 20 inches of snow or when there isn't full side-to-side coverage. I appreciate the fact that Massanutten limits snowmaking on the green/blue slopes as much as possible during ski hours, but will keep blowing on the black slopes as needed. They usually wait until after the lights go off (9 or 10pm) to start up again even if it's cold enough for snowmaking.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I would change the propensity of resorts to lie about snow received during storms. Be honest!

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would like ski season to be a year-round sport!! None of this 4 months out of the year deal...
Yes I'm changing my statement to this! That's what I really want, and to do it without spending THOUSANDS! to get get to the other side of the world.

altagirl

Staff member
Definitely understand that skiing under snow guns that are firing isn't fun, but when the base is thin then I don't mind. Meaning under 20 inches of snow or when there isn't full side-to-side coverage. I appreciate the fact that Massanutten limits snowmaking on the green/blue slopes as much as possible during ski hours, but will keep blowing on the black slopes as needed. They usually wait until after the lights go off (9 or 10pm) to start up again even if it's cold enough for snowmaking.

I will concede that if there is actually inadequate coverage so you can see ground sticking out, then fine, run the snow guns. But out here they just run them until their water allotment is out for the season and it's exasperating. It never feels the same as natural snow, so to me it makes snow conditions noticeably worse, and I'd just rather not see the energy and water wasted like this when it's not needed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Agree that manmade and natural snow are different. Much prefer natural when that's an option. Hence my trips out west. :smile:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will concede that if there is actually inadequate coverage so you can see ground sticking out, then fine, run the snow guns. But out here they just run them until their water allotment is out for the season and it's exasperating. It never feels the same as natural snow, so to me it makes snow conditions noticeably worse, and I'd just rather not see the energy and water wasted like this when it's not needed.

Oh, well, if what you're used to is ALTA powder...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Using Ski Diva's blog post as a short list, this is what I would pick for changing: Out of control skiers and boarders. Too many collisions and irresponsible people on the hill. Too many people needlessly hurt.

veronicarella

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would want to change....the way my butt looks in ski pants. When I ski, my butt looks so amazing that I find I attract a huge group of male admirers.....and the whole thing just ends up being a big distraction. :rolleyes:
LOL. Love!

On the out of control skiers and boarders: Last week, as I'm skiing back to base on my last run, it's usually crowded around the base area at this time of day, so I took my time going down and people watched. And there was this grown kid straight lining his board for about 5 seconds at a time, and when he gains too much speed, he attempts to stop but obviously has not learned how to turn his board sideways, so he leans forward and drives his hands into the snow until the friction slows him down and his board eventually stops. I watched this over and over again as he goes down the whole blue run in this manner almost running over a few people who narrowly got out of his way. I wish there's a license system or something, like stay in the learning zone until one has demonstrated basic skills such as turns and stops. I mean, we have to pass a driver's license test before we get behind the wheels!

And on the queuing topic: I went to ski in France this past Christmas holiday and the family asked what's the difference between skiing in Europe and in North America. So one of differences mentioned was that people queue and merge by alternating at the lifts in NA. I just remembered their eyes popped out and jaws dropped when they heard this. It's like a foreign concept to them! haha

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And there was this grown kid straight lining his board for about 5 seconds at a time, and when he gains too much speed, he attempts to stop but obviously has not learned how to turn his board sideways, so he leans forward and drives his hands into the snow until the friction slows him down and his board eventually stops. I watched this over and over again as he goes down the whole blue run in this manner almost running over a few people who narrowly got out of his way.

:boom:

RX2SKI

Certified Ski Diva
+1 on the ski in- ski out
But I'd settle for a place (which allows a dog) that was centrally located to the areas I want to ski at and then I'd have close in parking at any of those resorts (I can dream!)
Luckily, I found boots this year that I love!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly