• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ideas what to do with glasses when skiing with prescription inserts

sperks

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Need some help ladies I have prescription inserts for my goggles as can’t see with out glasses and contacts not an option how do I safely ski with my glasses as pockets in jackets offer no protection and hard case hard to fit in pockets any hints or ideas need glasses when go in for coffee or lunch

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My husband has the same problem, and he keeps his glasses in a hard case in his jacket. But you say that doesn't work for you, so I have no suggestions. :noidea:

Jilly

Staff member
I wear contacts, but need readers to see anything close up. I keep a small pair in my jacket. It is possible to get a smaller pair of your prescription that you could do the same?

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
I have similar problem as I wear contacts for skiing. I had to buy a very small Dakine back pack to carry my additional eye wear - a pair of reading glasses as I can't read a piste map or menu wearing contacts, my ordinary (varifocal) glasses in a hard case just in case I lose a lens etc etc!!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second the suggestion of a spare pair. A pair of small memory titanium frameless ones from an inexpensive online shop like Zenni might not fare too poorly in a pocket. And a back up pair just in case in your boot bag or car.

marzNC

Angel Diva
While I can use contacts for skiing, I carry reading glasses with me. For a small hill like my home mountain, I keep them in an inside pocket. But I don't fall very often these days. At large destination resorts, I usually have a small backpack. Either my old 11L Dakine or the Kulkea Micro Pack. Then I put the non-prescription reading glasses in a hard case in the backpack, along with extra socks and gloves, and a small water bottle.

Even more likely use the small backpack when I'm wearing a shell jacket with limited interior pockets.

I second the suggestion of a spare pair. A pair of small memory titanium frameless ones from an inexpensive online shop like Zenni might not fare too poorly in a pocket. And a back up pair just in case in your boot bag or car.

Have to admit, I haven't had a spare pair of glasses with my current prescription for decades. I get pretty expensive frames and lenses, and wear my glasses all the time . . . except when skiing.

Having had frameless glasses, I would think that in a fall that having a frame would be better protection for the lenses. Titanium is great stuff for frames.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seconds to the small Dakine backpack - I have the Heli 12 litre, it's very shallow so can stay on when riding the chairlift, and weighs next to nothing.

newboots

Angel Diva
+2 for the spare pair from Zeni. I got the details on my prescription and the location of my pupil from my optician when I broke my prior spare pair, explaining I wanted to buy a couple of extremely cheap pairs for skiing. He seemed happy to provide. I bought glasses without the reading prescription (I can read easily if I look over my glasses), and they were about $35. I measured my current glasses to get a good fit.

Works great, and I won’t feel horrible if I break this pair sometime in the future.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oops, realized I don't use an 11L Dakine for little stuff like a glasses case. I have the really little one, the Cosmo, that is only 6.5L. Found it at my local ski shop several years ago.

I got the 11L Dakine Heli, but they don't make it any more. 12L is the smallest size now. Haven't used the Heli much.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the same boat as @Jilly and carry a pair of inexpensive readers that are labelled "sport something-or-other." They have flexible frames, in other words. I kept them unprotected in my pocket for 99% of a season without any damage or scratches. I eventually lost them by being forgetful; wherever they are they are probably still in good shape. :-)

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Both my parents invested in the reading glasses that fit in a case about the size of a credit card, just a bit thicker. They sit on the bridge of your nose and don't have side pieces. They look ridiculous but not as ridiculous as not being able to see! And the case can even attach to the back of your phone. I believe they got them on Amazon

marzNC

Angel Diva
Both my parents invested in the reading glasses that fit in a case about the size of a credit card, just a bit thicker. They sit on the bridge of your nose and don't have side pieces. They look ridiculous but not as ridiculous as not being able to see! And the case can even attach to the back of your phone. I believe they got them on Amazon
Cool idea! Like this one?

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 5.21.07 PM.png

sperks

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks all may just have to get a new jacket ! That’s fits a case or a small pack. Or a non destructible spare pair of glasses but $$ when you need a prescription

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks all may just have to get a new jacket ! That’s fits a case or a small pack. Or a non destructible spare pair of glasses but $$ when you need a prescription

Do check Zenni. They aren’t indestructible, but they are cheap!

mustski

Angel Diva
I have a similar problem but opted for contacts for distance and cheap readers like above. The problem is in a storm, it's a pain to drop the goggles to put on the readers to check the map or a phone text. I completely missed Jenny's injury in Mammoth due to that issue. I have considered the prescription inserts also. What is the advantage over contacts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna