• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ideas for a Women's Camp

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Divas,

I work as an instructor in Colorado, and for the first time am teaching a 1-day women's camp. I've been thinking of some ideas, but I'd love to hear from you, as to what you would find most helpful. It's around 6.5 hours, and I expect I will be teaching solid intermediate skiers. What kind of skills, drills, or general things would you hope to learn?

Thanks!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Here are some things to think about:
How many total per camp?
What will be your instructor/student ratio?
How will you sort attendees by skill? Do you have them self-sort before they sign up? What if they turn out to be out the range you were planning for?

Most one day programs I have been to have been pretty disorganized. Sure, they've had yoga, coffee, wine and cheese etc but when it came to actual instruction I've been very disappointed. A lot of time gets spent on herding and sorting which leaves very little time for actual on the hill teaching.

So, my suggestion is forget all the girl power, mood enhancement stuff and get to the skiing. You will have to sort by ability no matter what so figure out an efficient way to do that. "Solid Intermediate" covers a wide range.

What will be your response to those who ask, "why no beginners?" or "why no advanced skiers?".
I don't mean to be hard on you, but if you expect someone to lay out several hundred dollars for a day, some of us have expectations. :-)

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
I should have been more specific. We do have all levels -- beginner, intermediate, advanced. Someone greets them and asks about their skiing and terrain and then they are placed in a group. Usually we have around six per group. For the groups that are not beginner, they ski down a trail and we do re-sorting if necesary.

The focus is skiing. We won't have the other fluff stuff. Our resort is very good about putting skiers in the gorup that will benefit them the most. Does that clarify things?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Ah, I totally misunderstood.

As for what skills and drills to offer, I would expect the instructor to assess the group and go from there. You are the trained professional, right? I say this from my experience as a certified mountain bike instructor. Students may say they want "X,Y, Z" but 5 minutes spent on movement analysis shows you that they need A, B, C. You will know your terrain and I suspect you'll have student that will say "I want to be able to ski the Ball Buster Chute" when they are nowhere near ready for that. The challenge is how to give them what they need when it may not be what they say they want, and help them to have an open mind about it!

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Ah, I totally misunderstood.

As for what skills and drills to offer, I would expect the instructor to assess the group and go from there. You are the trained professional, right? I say this from my experience as a certified mountain bike instructor. Students may say they want "X,Y, Z" but 5 minutes spent on movement analysis shows you that they need A, B, C. You will know your terrain and I suspect you'll have student that will say "I want to be able to ski the Ball Buster Chute" when they are nowhere near ready for that. The challenge is how to give them what they need when it may not be what they say they want, and help them to have an open mind about it!

These are all things I do as part of my regular lessons. Let me try a different approach here. If you've taken a clinic (doesn't have to be women's clinic), that you really got a lot out of, please feel free to share what made it great.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Some abstract thoughts:
1. A blend of technical and "fun" -- skiing still channels my inner kid.
2. Drills that encourage student-student interaction help the group relax.
3. More doing/feeling, less talking; chairlift rides are discussion time.

Adult lessons could use more rollers, hopping, obstacle courses and such.
Not every drill has to be watched one-by-one in a line by the instructor (nervewracking / too much standing around).

If anyone complains about flats, an impromptu skating lesson is in order. 1 minute will change lives!
On that note, do any of your students know how to pivot slip or kick-turn? Crossover-step back into their skis on steeps? Self-arrest? These usually aren't "focus" topics, and thus get missed in otherwise-capable skier education.

"Grr" hockey stops (yes, you growl loudly when stopping), "Human slalom" falling leaf, leapfrogging short-radius turns, 90/10 drills trying to "mask" the dominant ski and have others guess, copying another student's turn tracks, synchro turns or pivot slips with another student, synchro skiing with the group...

Thanks for being putting so much thought into your clinic! It's gonna be great :smile:

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Some abstract thoughts:
1. A blend of technical and "fun" -- skiing still channels my inner kid.
2. Drills that encourage student-student interaction help the group relax.
3. More doing/feeling, less talking; chairlift rides are discussion time.

Adult lessons could use more rollers, hopping, obstacle courses and such.
Not every drill has to be watched one-by-one in a line by the instructor (nervewracking / too much standing around).

If anyone complains about flats, an impromptu skating lesson is in order. 1 minute will change lives!
On that note, do any of your students know how to pivot slip or kick-turn? Crossover-step back into their skis on steeps? Self-arrest? These usually aren't "focus" topics, and thus get missed in otherwise-capable skier education.

"Grr" hockey stops (yes, you growl loudly when stopping), "Human slalom" falling leaf, leapfrogging short-radius turns, 90/10 drills trying to "mask" the dominant ski and have others guess, copying another student's turn tracks, synchro turns or pivot slips with another student, synchro skiing with the group...

Thanks for being putting so much thought into your clinic! It's gonna be great :smile:
This is great! Thanks so much for all the good ideas. Plus you sparked another one by saying interactive for students -- where they position themselves on the side and follow the next skier and stop below skier. I knew you gals would come through! Keep the good ideas coming!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I've never yet been to a ski camp that impressed me, but I have been to quite a few mtb ones that blew my mind. The best experience had been when I've been challenged out of my comfort zone but not to the point of imminent danger or disaster. The focus has been on expanding/dialing in base skills in a controlled environment then hitting the trail for real world experience.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A good blend of techniques and tactics I find really nice. Tactics such as using the hill shape or bumps to your advantage, counting or singing, looking out of the corner of your eye prior to the next turn.
Technique wise I find that spending time working on steering the inside ski has a huge impact on intermediate level skiers. Techniques for bumps and powder are also really helpful. If you are able to do some video of everyone in the morning and then discuss during lunch time that can also be SUPER valuable!

shadoj

Angel Diva
@geargrrl Yes, basics/fundamentals are key. Finding out where students are confident, vs. where they struggle (and why) should help with drill choices. Mental tactics, too, if fear (etc.) is an issue. Route-planning is a great skill for all skiers. Trees are just moguls with sticks in them :smile:

For every drill, I like some explanation:
- practical application
- set of skills/fundamentals it's working
- terrain/situations where these skills will transfer, and why

Basic example: Traversing. Practically, will get you across a hill (or even uphill), allowing you to ski to where you want to be. Works parallel edging, and requires some forward pressure to keep moving (fore-aft balance). Edge control helps on steeps and ice, carved turns, speed control by riding uphill, etc.

Having students explain in their own words what they're feeling/moving during drill can be useful, along with what was easy/hard. Sometimes their explanation clicks with another student in ways the instructor's didn't.

@marymack - Yes, video! Helps make a connection between what you're hearing and feeling.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Challenge them! Work on skills on comfortable terrain and continue to dial it up.

Lots of mileage and showing them that the stuff works everywhere!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
This advice is in a different direction than many others so far and maybe not what you were looking for. But having attended a women's clinic earlier this year where the basic logistics like arrival, picking up lift tickets, checking out demos were really poorly organized and poorly communicated, those things really affected my confidence and my skiing. I just felt like I didn't belong there before we even hit the snow! So my suggestion is whatever you can do to make sure people have a great experience of knowing where to go and what to expect in advance is likely to help set them up for skiing success, too! (And all the other stuff everyone else said about actual skiing, too. :smile:)

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Given that it is only one day, don't load them up with too many drills. The brain and legs can only absorb so much. The best thing I ever received from a one day clinic was a "score card" that was tailored specifically to me and described the things we did in the clinic that could best benefit me, i.e., what I need to work on. Index card. Five or six sentences. Invaluable.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Given that it is only one day, don't load them up with too many drills. The brain and legs can only absorb so much. The best thing I ever received from a one day clinic was a "score card" that was tailored specifically to me and described the things we did in the clinic that could best benefit me, i.e., what I need to work on. Index card. Five or six sentences. Invaluable.
I always take notes right after clinics. It would be a bonus to have it handed to me.

Jilly

Staff member
I've been to many clinics either general public or CSIA events.
Generally, and probably not under your control, the signing in, class groups etc. This needs to almost regimented so it gets done fast. Forget the muffins etc.

Program - Intermediate. If it were me, I would want to have my skills checked ie parallel skis through the turn, some edging control, etc. Maybe some bumps/trees. But with women the biggest thing is CONFIDENCE.

Confidence is saying, YES, I can do the hard blue, easy black. For example, I know the technical stuff to ski bumps and trees, but don't get the chance often. At the WB women's clinic that's all we did. I came out of that, looking for those kind of runs for the rest of the season.

Before everyone leaves, give them some of your time. The last CSIA clinic, the course conductor invited us into "her office" to have a private talk.

tri-ski-pucker

Certified Ski Diva
I use a few specific drills I can add to for consideration.

"blind" hockey stops - find a safe piece of intermediate terrain, close eyes, hold poles in the center by the side of body, (no poles that is, unless they complain about hitting the snow, then they can use a pole), start sideslip slowly, then hockey stop. they can choose how fast to get going - not much speed needed here. If campers fall into the hill when they stop, they are not balanced over their downhill ski, where they need to be to initiate next turn.

ball between the knees - imagine there is a ball/balloon between your knees and engage the inside leg's adductor muscles to keep the ball in place during turn. it is possible that muscle group has never been recruited before.

turn-to-sideslip - going into transition at end of turn, control fore-aft movement to initiate a straight sideslip. If they drift forward, they are aft, if they drift backwards, they are forward (less likely at the start). this ability to anticipate and get "centered" over base of support as they finish turns.

sideslip-to-turn (harder to explain in words) - with skis parallel to the fall line, get off edges and literally "side"slip laterally for a bit before initiating turn. the velocity vector for feet is at an angle (let's say 45 degrees as an example) because there is both a down the fall line and across the fall line force involved. this "shmearing" vs edging at start of turn is helpful off-piste for both controlling speed early and allowing for more degrees of rotational freedom in tight spaces. But, even for on-piste the sensation of this drill will help campers understand better how their input effects ski performance at turn initiation.

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, you divas are the greatest. This has been incredibly helpful and I've started putting together these ideas as part of a plan. Thanks to everyone for all the incredible ideas.

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But with women the biggest thing is CONFIDENCE.

Confidence is saying, YES, I can do the hard blue, easy black. For example, I know the technical stuff to ski bumps and trees, but don't get the chance often. At the WB women's clinic that's all we did. I came out of that, looking for those kind of runs for the rest of the season.
So, I haven't been on here since before COVID, but I recently rediscovered it again - hi again everyone!

I completely agree with this. I do a lot of outdoor activities, and have attended women's events for rock climbing, sea kayaking and trail running as well as skiing. The ones that stand out in my mind are the ones that have instilled some confidence.

A format that I've enjoyed across all these sports is as follows:

Take your group out for a warm up on friendly terrain. Use that to assess where the group is at.

Once everyone is warm, take the group down something a bit challenging. Exactly what this is will depend on the group (could be something a bit steeper, bumps, off-piste). Whatever it is, it should be something that will challenge the group and that will cause people's skiing to break down a bit, but it should be achievable, and not too terrifying. Video this.

Go back into friendlier terrain and work on whatever drills seem appropriate to the group, with particular reference to how it will help with the challenging terrain from earlier. As someone else said, anything that makes people work together is good here too. Don't try to squeeze too much in, just focus on one or two key points so you don't overload people.

Before everyone gets too tired, take them back to the same bit of challenging terrain, and get them to do it again with the drills fresh in their mind. Video it again.

At the end of the day, spend a couple of minutes with each person reviewing the two videos and showing them the differences. This is a good opportunity for person feedback too.

I really like this for a one-day format because you quite often do see a noticable improvement in the second video, and the confidence and sense of achievement you get from feeling a real difference on something challenging is palpable!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna