• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Iceland?

Tvan

Angel Diva
There is a chance that we could go to Iceland for 4 days in mid-December. Has anyone skied in Iceland? Any advice on ski mountains, accommodations, how to get to north Iceland once in Reykjavik, and ‘don’t miss’ things to see and do?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Days will be really short in Iceland in December - only about 4 hours long in Reykjavik, shorter if you go north. We've never skied in Iceland in winter, but I think most of the good skiing is in the north, so you're looking at 2.5-3 hrs of light.

Skiing close to Reykjavik from what I understand is also not reliable until January-Feb at the earliest. The Atlantic currents can be pretty warm (Iceland is not actually that cold in winter), and Iceland's resorts don't rely on snowmaking like North american ones do. I remember a colleague telling me that some of the resorts don't open in a bad year until after New Year. But if you want to stay in Reykjavik area, its only Blarfjoll. https://skidasvaedi.is/english/
So, if you do want to go skiing in December, I would fly up to Akureyri (can fly domestically easily). Hlidarfjall is supposed to be the premier ski destination near Akureyri: https://www.hlidarfjall.is/en
You woudl have to stay in the city, but Akureyri is a pretty nice little town to stay in. But don't forget that most resorts are only fully open during the daylight, and then reduce to a few illuminated pistes/night skiing in December.

If it were me, I would probably save skiing for a spring trip to Iceland and focus on the amazing things you can do in the dark - like northern lights! I never get tired of them - we have them quite often here in the winter, and I never tire of going out to see them. There's lots of snowmobiling in Iceland, and going out away from city/residential lights to see the aurora is pretty amazing. December will also have lots of food and Christmas festivals/markets all over, which are always fun. And outdoor hot springs are most amazing in winter, under the stars :smile:

Last edited:

alison wong

Angel Diva
Agree with @Albertan ski girl's suggestion. I looked into skiing in Iceland couple years ago when planning a trip there. Decided not to do it mainly because of the travel logistics: too dangerous to drive on the Ring Road in winter. Only option would be flying but given the size of the ski area, it was not worth the time or $$.

My friend went to Iceland in late November because she wanted to chase Aurora Borealis and explore ice caves. She did and photos she shared were amazing. She booked mutli-day tour through a travel agency in Iceland for these activities. (Winter driving in Iceland is not recommended.)

If you want to look into activities to do in Iceland in winter (for a short trip), Trip Advisor's Travel Forum is a good resource. I referenced the website a great deal when I planned my Iceland trip couple years ago. Of course you can also ask questions there. My experience was, the more specific your question is, the more "tailored" response they will provide you.

4-day is quite short, other nearby attractions to consider are: Blue Lagoon and Golden Triangle. Not sure about the opening hours in winter season. (Caveat: there are mixed review about Blue Lagoon. Many think it is over-priced and a tourist trap.)

Last edited:

Tvan

Angel Diva
Thanks to all of you... your advice has convinced me not to try and ski in December. I’m now vacillating between 4 days in Iceland, 4 in Florence, or 4 in the Carribean in December. Where would you spend your December birthday?

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to Iceland around Thanksgiving. We hiked on a glacier, saw the Northern lights and toured Reykjavik. (Still can’t spell). It was a fabulous trip. Travelzoo has some great all inclusive trips for reasonable prices. You can see quite a bit in 4 days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks to all of you... your advice has convinced me not to try and ski in December. I’m now vacillating between 4 days in Iceland, 4 in Florence, or 4 in the Carribean in December. Where would you spend your December birthday?
Where have you been in Europe? I would lean to Florence instead of Iceland due to the really few hours of daylight.

Although hurricane season is over by December, unfortunately hard to predict where the storms will land this fall around the Caribbean.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever been to Florence? It's pretty amazing. I'd have a hard time passing that up. Though the Caribbean sounds nice, too.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I’m now vacillating between 4 days in Iceland, 4 in Florence, or 4 in the Carribean in December.
Can you make a list of:
1 What is important to me? e.g. good food, weather....
2) What do I like/want to see? i.e. bucket list
3) What I don't care much about?

This may help w/ the decision making?

Jilly

Staff member
I would have to agree with @Albertan ski girl. Day light is going to be short. The shortest day of the year is December 21st! I do work with the CFS Alert. And there is basically only a few hours of day light in December. I think they might be further north latitude wise, but close enough.

Christy

Angel Diva
Florence is great, but with only 4 days, I'd think about travel times and jet lag (unless that doesn't really bother you).

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I would still recommend Iceland :smile: There`s something magical about visiting a northern place in the winter. People are always happy and excited to see you, and it sure will be different. Plus you can hike on glaciers during the daylight, and then chase aurora after that! Sounds good to me :smile:

WIth the travel time and jet lag, I would probably avoid Florence - you really need a week there to truly enjoy it.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I would spend my December birthday skiing!

But since that’s not on the menu you listed above, I would visit Negril, Jamaica, at the Rockhouse, reading by the pool.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Thanks to all for your thoughts on destinations.

@ski diva - I have been to Florence many times, but never as a tourist. I’ve only been for work and I’ve seen nothing other than the outside of the Duomo in the evening. I loved Florence in November... quiet and beautiful...i can only imagine how it will be the week before Christmas.

@ilovepugs - i usually ski on my birthday... last year we were at Belleayer with @marzNC !! We are headed to Stratton for Christmas this year, and DH’s birthday celebration in London this year is causing me to want a different sort of adventure.

I don’t anticipate jet lag being a big factor. I’m usually fine when I travel to Europe. Trips to Asia or New Zealand typically kick my butt for a few days, but I was totally fine on our recent trip to London.

I’m leaning toward Florence... but still pondering.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I would have to agree with @Albertan ski girl. Day light is going to be short. The shortest day of the year is December 21st! I do work with the CFS Alert. And there is basically only a few hours of day light in December. I think they might be further north latitude wise, but close enough.

Just to clarify, Alert is way farther north - no daylight at all in December. In fact, I think it might be the most northerly community in the world.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly