• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Icebreaker sizing?

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How does Icebreaker sizes compare to other clothing/athletlc wear lines? Many of the athletic companies run smaller, so day-to-day XS clothes I wear fit often more like an S in athletic wear. How does Icebreaker stuff size out? Is it more like normal clothes? I have a Smartwool XS baselayer and it's about as slim as I'd like to get. How does Icebreaker compare to Smartwool? I keep seeing it on Sierra Trading Post, and I keep dreaming I'll find it on one of the 80% off DealFlyers. I know it's a dream, but might as well be prepared. I just love wool!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel like it fits pretty true to size. I wear a M in most things, and my icebreaker top is a M and fits comfortably, not snug or loose.

C

CMCM

I love love love my Icebreakers, but as a person who generally wears mediums and sometimes smalls, I've ended up liking medium on the bodyfit 260 leggings, but like a large for the LS Crewe top...I had a medium but it shrank in length and I didn't like that. So next time I got a large, and it had the extra arm and body length I wanted. I also like the 260 weight best, I wear those all season no matter what the temp and I'm comfortable.

Yikes...I just looked at the Icebreaker site and the prices are up to $100 each item (top or bottom) from the $80 or so I paid, which was bad enough. My husband said he saw some merino items at Costco which may be similar....I'll have to check the price and see what they're like, what the thickness is.

I've always had the 260 weight, which I'll stress isn't obviously thick either, but previously my husband had a top that the their 200 weight, and it was NOT warm enough.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the ifno, itri and CMCM.

sierratradingpost.com has the 260 weight stuff for in the 70's, and if you sign up for their dealflyer they'll often e-mail coupons for 35% off the whole purchase. I'd still like to get something even cheaper because I'm a cheap-o :redface:, but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen. I don't remember ever seeing IceBreaker when they do their slash-and-burn price reductions, unfortunately. Their prices are a lot better than $100, though! I'll keep watching and waiting.

C

CMCM

Thanks for the ifno, itri and CMCM.

sierratradingpost.com has the 260 weight stuff for in the 70's, and if you sign up for their dealflyer they'll often e-mail coupons for 35% off the whole purchase. I'd still like to get something even cheaper because I'm a cheap-o :redface:, but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen. I don't remember ever seeing IceBreaker when they do their slash-and-burn price reductions, unfortunately. Their prices are a lot better than $100, though! I'll keep watching and waiting.

Let us all know if you find any killer deals!

naskis

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own quite a few "Icebreakers" thanks to SAC and also find them true to size (I wear medium).

yu_kon

Diva in Training
I have loads of merino...icebreaker, smartwool and i/o bio. Icebreaker sizing often depends on what type of clothing you're buying. Baselayers tend to fit smaller than more traditional pieces. I generally go for M in GT and baselayer pieces, and small in the more casual pieces. Smartwool fits a bit smaller and I have M and larges in those. I/0 bio fits more true to size, so a S is S etc.

RuthB

Angel Diva
With icebreaker the "fit" style is also important to take into consideration. Their fitted styles really are fitted, so if it says fits close to the body or body-hugging, it is generally true.

This is often true for base layers and the lighter weight ice breaker. The heavier weights are more relaxed in their fit, although the styles from the last few years are more fitted than older styles.

I'd also echo what CMCM said, some styles seem to be short fitting, if length is an issue for you.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think they do fit true to size. As a small to XS woman but with "generous" frontage, I find they fit nicely round my chest.
I do think they shrink a little on the first wash.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I concur with what others have said - they run true to size, although somewhat short. I also agree that the 200 weight is not warm enough (at least on the East Coast) as a single layer. I usually put a close-fitting 200 layer plus either a 260 layer OR a pair of hot chilis over top and that works just fine.

I LOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVE my Icebreakers. And yes, they are pricey. :smile:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't notice that athletic wear lines run smaller. I have couple Icebreaker baselayers (200) in XS. And my frontage is "generous". They fit well. Close, but not tight.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
have several pieces that all fit as per usual with the exception of my Real Fleece Cascade full zip - it fits small and I wish I bought a size up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly