• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I thought skiers were better than this?

newboots

Angel Diva
Sounds like things are going pretty well, overall. But a few skiers being rude and sometimes, downright ugly, isn't new. I am thinking of catcalls from the lift toward some poor beginner who is struggling, or drunken skiers whizzing by and cutting off others.

I'm also outraged by the people who are unmasked and obnoxious about it, though. How is it hurting you to put on a mask, when it's (1) mandated, (2) common sense and (3) everyone else is doing it? Why is it so important to demonstrate your need for "freedom" when it endangers others' lives? It's like driving 80 mph down a side street where kids are playing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Each ski resort in Utah has had a different experience with visitors complying with COVID-19 guidelines.
Not just Utah. The experience for mask compliance varies by region and for each unique ski area or ski resort. Have read about the differences in the southeast and northeast ever since lifts started spinning.

Alta and Snowbird seem to be having fewer issues than Solitude based on the article. Interesting to hear that Solitude has had to remove a few people for lack of mask compliance. Alta and Snowbird started making a point early on to remind everyone at every lift about covering their noses. That was quite clear at Alta when I was there in mid-December.

What I saw first hand at my home mountain in northern VA is that the time of day made a difference too. Those people who came for relatively inexpensive night skiing or were getting a discounted lift ticket for College Week were a bit different than the season passholders around in the mornings.

Oski

Diva in Training
Went tot Sierra at Tahoe with the family to ski. The resort was great at asking guests to wear masks while on the lift line. Only same parties on the same lift chair- they allowed/encouraged singles to go go by themselves. All indoor spaces were closed, they had outside tables and chairs that were available for people to use. They only allowed 4 chairs per table to discourage large groups of people gathering. You can order and pick up food outside. We booted up in the parking lot, ate lunch in the car, and used the outdoor porta potties. As usual, the issue was with some guests who refused to wear masks or wore masks with breathing holes. The folks working at the lifts were great at asking them to mask up when they saw unmasked people. For the most part, I would say there was 80% compliance at the lift lines and public outdoor spaces. It's really due to the efforts of Sierra at Tahoe insisting on masking and distancing.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe those yo yos on the 'no fly' list (for a myriad of bad behaviors) won't be able to fly out to ski, thinning the dumb a** herd a bit on the slopes.

I just think this mask rebellion as a political statement is getting tiresome. So is mask-wearing. But we somehow learned to comply with 'no shoes, no service' and other norms.

newboots

Angel Diva
$10,000 reward offered for ID of skier from Jan. 6 collision at Vail | VailDaily.com
This isn't about covid/masking but I read this and thought the title applied. Reading the comments and seeing that some people believe that the downhill skier is at fault. I found many of the comments very offensive.

That's for sure! One even suggested the 74-year-old skier shouldn't be on the mountain if her "bones were going to disintegrate in a collision that the other party walked away from." Everyone is responding to an article, and nobody is bringing any other information, but at least half of the comments suggest the downhill skier is somehow at fault. They seem to assume that she was making wide zig-zags across the whole trail (perfectly legal), oblivious to her surroundings, or too frail to ski. It's appalling. None of the commenters witnessed anything, and nothing in the article suggests any of it other than her age (an d probably her gender).

:doh:

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's so horrible, I emailed her brother a note to read to Betty. Maybe we can all take a moment to spread some love to her. That said, Maybe he doesn't want his inbox cluttered If he's trying to find the offender.

Christy

Angel Diva
Many papers shut down and remove comments in this situation, when people become nasty about a topic like this. Boo on the Vail Daily for keeping comments open.

mustski

Angel Diva
The manager at a local resort told me that they had problems with mask compliance over the holidays. Apparently, the visitors had a very different attitude than the usual skiers. I chalk it up to they only ski a couple of days a year and don't care if the resorts shut down. There was a lot of frustration on the part of staff who felt pretty abused.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Every time I read the title of this thread I wonder why anyone would think skiers are different from the general population in terms of moral rectitude. I have become quite sour on humans these last few years, and especially since the virus struck. Skiing doesn't serve to save them from behaving badly.

Christy

Angel Diva
I agree, there is going to be a sliver of the population that are narcissists, sociopaths (aka antisocial personality disorder) or just jerks, and sometimes these people will ski.

When I learned, as a younger person, that narcissism and sociopathy were clinical diagnoses, the world made a lot more sense to me.

mustski

Angel Diva
I think I expected more of skiers because we share a common goal of keeping resorts open. Even those who don’t “believe” masks help are willing to comply to be able to have a ski season. But, I’m not gonna lie, the visitors we have had during Covid have been unusually disrespectful - in both speech and action.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think I expected more of skiers because we share a common goal of keeping resorts open. Even those who don’t “believe” masks help are willing to comply to be able to have a ski season. But, I’m not gonna lie, the visitors we have had during Covid have been unusually disrespectful - in both speech and action.

We are seeing so many empty cans thrown off of lifts as well as nips. Seemingly people are taking to pocket/backpack bartending since they don’t have as many outlets for this inside. Really pisses me off that people have so little respect for the mountain. You want to crush a white claw at 10:30 am on the lift? Be my guest, but stick it back in your pocket until you get to a trash can! Legit had someone in my group have to pick up the empty can rolling down a groomer we were skiing this weekend. It’s really ridiculous and so disrespectful! Not sure why it surprises me, but it still does.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly