• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I Heart Horses: Riding; women's rec polo

Marian

Angel Diva
If you like or love horses, have you visited Mary Midkiff's site? https://www.womenandhorses.com

And for good info on women's polo I recommend IWPA - International Women's Polo Association - www.iwpa.co.uk. :clap: That network is also international...

Any riders out there? :cool: Interested newbies? How about experienced DC-area riders who have tried or would like to try basic polo practice or a beginner-level polo chukka (match)? No fancy-schmancy clothes; just good outdoor fun!

cheers,
Marian

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Horse lover here! And ex-avid equestrienne. I rode competitively a bit in HS and all throughout college, but sort of lost interest in the fancy-shmancy act after that.

I'm still a huge horse lover and I can pretty much guarantee I'll own a couple later in life, but it's tough right now. We live too close to the city; no fun trails around here. :( And I can't stand to ride around a ring and have someone critique my form anymore. I'm thinking of trying out dressage when we move further north. Polo sounds interesting, though!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay, more horsie divas!

We've already got a thread going on about it here, but the more the merrier.

Don't skiing and riding just go together perfectly? Legs of steel!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I am a horse-misser. :(

I rode throughout childhood (western horse camps in the summer) and high school (dabbled in hunter jumper) and managed to get some riding done in college and after. For a while I was really good at sussing out the best stables on vacations and the like, and finding places where you could get checked out and essentially ride on your own.

Lately, not so much. I think the last time I was on a horse was about eight years ago.
:Cry:

What's really sad is that we now live in Colorado, where my mom's family ranched starting just after the civil war, and where my mom grew up barrel racing and going out for rodeo queen. One of these days I have to figure out how to fit it into schedule/kids/budget. A share would be ideal, but probably is a few years out, so I haven't even looked into it.

B

B.E.G.

I love horses and have since elementary school, but my mom was super overprotective and never let me take lessons (plus expensive). Now, I try to do some trail riding on vacations - I was able to in New Zealand and Costa Rica - but sadly I still haven't formally gotten into it. I live in Montana right now and it would be ideal to pick up except I don't want to ride Western, I want to ride Eastern style if I do take it up formally (dressage and show jumping). Maybe if I move to CA I will try to find a stable!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I grew up on the back of a horse. I wish I had also grown up on skis! The riding, for me, is not transferring to great skiing. Bums me out! Had a great ride today, though :D B.E.G. if you end up in L.A. believe it or not, there are TONS of places to ride and take lessons! The L.A. Equestrian Center being one.

My handle is one of my horse's names.

This is my current horse, who I brought home from a show barn in December and am so happy I did! This was at a show in Del Mar last June. I'm skiing instead of showing this year. I needed a break from it.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=513&d=1295104192

B

B.E.G.

Contesstant your horse is gorgeous! What breed is he/she? The head profile looks like an Arabian - but whatever the breed, what a beauty! So I should be finding out very soon if I got into USC - my decision letter is in the mail. If I end up in LA I will definitely check out the LA Equestrian Center!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks :D He is in fact a purebred Arabian. I've had Arabians my entire life. They are so intuitive and intelligent and caring and gentle. I've had him for two years and he's so much fun!

B

B.E.G.

Thanks :D He is in fact a purebred Arabian. I've had Arabians my entire life. They are so intuitive and intelligent and caring and gentle. I've had him for two years and he's so much fun!

Woohoo! Got it in one! :smile: Arabians are gorgeous and have such great personalities. What's his name? More pics please!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, good job guessing the breed!

His registered name is Carangi, which I hate so we call him Chachee (which is what my daughter started calling him when she was 2.)

Here's video of me showing him at the same show where I posted the picture from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tkL2UH7N8

:bounce:

B

B.E.G.

What a gorgeous guy - beautiful movement! Ha, I love that you call him Chachee - great name! :smile:

I SO want to take riding lessons now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly