• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I have good news and bad news...

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll start with the bad news...
My father came to visit and ski with us for the first time since I picked up the sport last season. He saw me and said I am doing a good job but still in the back seat, rotating my body with the skis, feet too far apart, etc. etc. OMG! I thought I was getting better at all those things :frown::cry:. I know I am far from perfect, but after all the lessons I should be doing better, no? I feel better and more confident compared to where I started. Super frustrated with myself and sort of annoyed at my dad for the brutal honesty. I especially don't get the whole feet too far apart comment. I ask all my instructors about it all the time, and they say my feet are where they should be, and the feet close together is an old school straight ski thing.

Now for the good news...
I skied blacks for the first time this weekend! And they didn't even seem too bad. If there were no icy patches, it would have been even easier. I realized I am fine with the pitch, just not with the ice. I feel proud of myself for taking this step, which was hard for me psychologically. Now I just need to work on "looking" better doing it, haha

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'd stick with what the instructors say. Yes, feet closer together is an old school thing. So maybe it's your dad who needs to change his habits.

Congrats on skiing a black. Hey, it's only your second season! Give yourself a break. Sounds like you're doing fine.

Jilly

Staff member
Just looking at your avatar and you're feet are NOT too far apart. Is or was your Dad an instructor? You've paid big $$ to get the right help, tell him politely to go ski somewhere else! I know, I know, its your Dad....but his comments are not helping.

And "high five" on the blacks!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
What she said^^! Sounds like you are doing very well in a short overall time on snow and making a ton of progress. Keep your instructors in mind, they are the ones who have seen you improve and know what you’re working on. I’m sure dad was just trying to be helpful, but can absolutely see how it’d be very frustrating and hurtful the way he rambled off all of these things as well. Next time I think I’d just say something like “Dad, let’s just have fun skiing together without any critiques on our skiing, I can get plenty of that in my lessons.”

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel better and more confident compared to where I started.

THIS IS EVERYTHING! Progress, not perfection.

I really understand -- I'm also in my second season skiing (after taking ~20 years off from when I was a kid) and completely empathize with you. But at this point - having taken lessons, practicing what you've learned so far - we simply need more time on the hill to continue to improve.

Some runs, I have great form and feel like I nailed it. Other runs, I'm in the backseat, rotating my entire body, etc. etc. I'm trying to let go of my perfectionist streak and wanting to do it "right" - it's hard, and I hope to have great form and the confidence I can get down most anything someday, but that's going to take time and lots and lots of mileage.

As a side note, I agree with Ski Diva and Jilly. I also ski primarily with my father who skis with his feet super close together. He knows it's old school but he's not gonna change now - but that doesn't mean I need to ski like that.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like you are doing great! And congrats on your black run! So this is a quote an instructor told me I find super helpful “Skiing is a sport of correction not perfection.” .... meaning when you notice you are in the back seat change it, when you notice your pole touch was late change it, body not down the fall line change it... we aren’t going to be perfect all the time (any of the time lol) because the conditions are constantly changing but when we notice we have strayed from the goal make the correction and that is skiing.

newboots

Angel Diva
Watch from the lift for the old school skiers. Their skis are so close together they almost touch. It’s a beautiful form, in many ways, and was hard to master.

However, today’s skis are designed for skiing with your feet hip-width apart. This allows the skier to take advantage of the shaped skis. The old ones were straight and flat. Big difference.

Black trail second year? You’ve got me beat!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So this is a quote an instructor told me I find super helpful “Skiing is a sport of correction not perfection.” .... meaning when you notice you are in the back seat change it, when you notice your pole touch was late change it, body not down the fall line change it... we aren’t going to be perfect all the time (any of the time lol) because the conditions are constantly changing but when we notice we have strayed from the goal make the correction and that is skiing.

I love this. Some of the most satisfying moments I've had skiing have been those where I've had a great recovery from a bad move or unexpected terrain "obstacle" (i.e., snow snake).

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like you are doing great! It’s hard absolutely when you are told a whole lot of what is “wrong” all at once! Skiing a black diamond in your second season is amazing!

That all being said, just because some things in your form need improvement does not mean you aren’t doing well and have not progressed.

Sometimes we need to remember to be kind to ourselves and celebrate what we have accomplished and not what we have not accomplished yet!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly