• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I have decided to retire - SO EXCITED!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woo Hoo!! Congratulations!! You Definitely have to have mixed emotions! You've been a integral part of your school for so long.. I'll bet they'll ask you back to help with the costumes and plays!! Here's to Midweek skiing and More Skiing!!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
*bump*
I was thinking I'd retire in January but got cold feet. There are still mortgages and my car is 2011 .... I don't know. Maybe April 2020.
You'll know when the time is right for you.

Not a bad idea to get familiar with your organization's policies on unpaid time off. With the federal government, you can take off up to 6 months with no deduction in your service time, as I recall. Of course, the supervisor has to approve. An extended break can make the next leg of the marathon more tolerable and help in decision-making. A man I worked with was thinking about retirement mostly so he could maximize his golf time. Having an extended golf break every year might keep him in the workforce.

newboots

Angel Diva
*bump*
I was thinking I'd retire in January but got cold feet. There are still mortgages and my car is 2011 .... I don't know. Maybe April 2020.

Advice (unsolicited, so feel free to ignore) from the recently-retired:
- try cutting to part-time if possible. Worked very well for me
- squirrel away as much as you can. Pay down the mortgages aggressively, if you want them off your back. Usually, the math argues for saving and investing rather than paying down a low-interest mortgage, but many people want out of as many monthly payments as possible
- run those retirement calculators. I found them reassuring and ran them repeatedly. I like FIREcalc and newretirement.com
- think a LOT about how you will spend your time when you stop working. I still do some consulting, and it’s good to keep a hand in the game. Volunteer work, skiing, gardening, skiing, hiking, and skiing are great hobbies!

Sorry to be preachy. This decision was a few years in the making, and obviously I’m still obsessed with it. I could write a book, easily, after all the research I did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly