• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I don’t get why I like this demo skis

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Ski Sine Fine , did you try the Nordica Santa Ana 93? I had fun on those but I'm not in the market for another all-mtn. ski at the moment.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I did not. I tried the sheva 9 at 91 and found that too wide so I didn’t try the Santa Ana 93. It was too big a jump from my Absolut Joy 78 (79?) underfoot to 90+.
For future reference, there are plenty of differences between skis of similar width due to materials and overall design. Although since you are looking for skis for the mid-Atlantic as an improving intermediate, 90+ is on the wide side.

I checked out the Santa Ana 93 and Santa Ana 100 at Bridger a few weeks ago. The 93 was fun @161 all morning, on groomers and in 10+ inches of fresh fluffy powder. The 100 was too short since I ended up doing a couple runs on the 153 length at the end of the day. Okay in deep snow but not fun on groomers. By the way, I demo'd the Santa Ana 93 @161 a few years ago at Alta (April demo day) and didn't particularly like them. My notes says "too long?" but my technique has also improved since then. The main reason I demo skis out west is to know what to rent when I get lucky and catch a powder storm.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
For future reference, there are plenty of differences between skis of similar width due to materials and overall design. Although since you are looking for skis for the mid-Atlantic as an improving intermediate, 90+ is on the wide side.

I checked out the Santa Ana 93 and Santa Ana 100 at Bridger a few weeks ago. The 93 was fun @161 all morning, on groomers and in 10+ inches of fresh fluffy powder. The 100 was too short since I ended up doing a couple runs on the 153 length at the end of the day. Okay in deep snow but not fun on groomers. By the way, I demo'd the Santa Ana 93 @161 a few years ago at Alta (April demo day) and didn't particularly like them. My notes says "too long?" but my technique has also improved since then. The main reason I demo skis out west is to know what to rent when I get lucky and catch a powder storm.
Thanks for the tip! I will try them all next time and not pre-judge.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I have no self control. My Absolut Joys are only a year old. Yes, I’ve improved but really still an intermediate. I don’t need another pair of skis. So of course I stopped by the local Sun & Ski to check out their end-of-season stock. They had the BP88 in 159cm and the Marker Squire binding on sale. Adding a military discount they’re 28% off the normal (non-MSRP) price. Was I master of my will and walk away? Ha! They were on my feet Monday at Liberty, eating up the melting snow on the blues and making me feel like I was totally in control. For once the runs felt too short. No survival mode here! I took the AJs with me as well, but I was having so much fun I never switched to see how they directly compare. I was looking at the Pearls for cruddy piles but I might have just decided they’re my new daily driver. My AJs are giving me evil eyes :becky:.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have no self control. My Absolut Joys are only a year old. Yes, I’ve improved but really still an intermediate. I don’t need another pair of skis. So of course I stopped by the local Sun & Ski to check out their end-of-season stock. They had the BP88 in 159cm and the Marker Squire binding on sale. Adding a military discount they’re 28% off the normal (non-MSRP) price. Was I master of my will and walk away? Ha! They were on my feet Monday at Liberty, eating up the melting snow on the blues and making me feel like I was totally in control. For once the runs felt too short. No survival mode here! I took the AJs with me as well, but I was having so much fun I never switched to see how they directly compare. I was looking at the Pearls for cruddy piles but I might have just decided they’re my new daily driver. My AJs are giving me evil eyes :becky:.
THAT is awesome! They are such a fun ski :ski: Gave me SO much confidence as I progressed. I just sold mine and am kind of sad, but it was time for them to make someone else smile. Glad you love them!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I took the AJs with me as well, but I was having so much fun I never switched to see how they directly compare. I was looking at the Pearls for cruddy piles but I might have just decided they’re my new daily driver. My AJs are giving me evil eyes :becky:.
AJs and BP88 should make a great 2-ski quiver. Especially if you can make it out west once in a while. For the soft snow in the Rockies, taking the BP88 makes more sense than the AJ.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Yep. What I saw was instead of a runaway ski the man was carrying the ski with half the boot still attached - and walking through the snow (at the base, luckily for him) in his sock. :doh: The upper part of the boot was still on his leg.

I know this is an old thread, but I was just skimming to learn, and omg, this made me laugh so hard.

Actual tears are flowing out of my eyes.
Thank you.

(I feel a little mean, but I didn’t do it to him, so I’m gonna feel fine in a minute)

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Or the kid's boots fall off because there isn't a boot available that's small enough for a 2 or 3 year old with a small foot.

A friend's boots disintegrated as she walked toward the slopes after lunch. Plastic parts just fell off with each step. When she went to rent boots they looked at her skis and gave her skis too. She still talks about how they laughed, said it happens all the time, and didn't charge her for the afternoon rental.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna