• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I Demoed Skis for No Reason: Volkl Kanjo, Icelantic Nomad, Volkl RTM

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't need skis. I've been happily enjoying basically a 1-ski quiver in the Atomic Vantage 90 cti with a pair of Nordica Soul Riders for soft snow and laughs.

But yesterday was crowded and cold and the snow was less than ideal (hard and scrapey in places). I didn't exactly want to quit skiing, but the mountain's demo program caught my eye and I thought it would be a fun day to try out some skis since I was on my own and wouldn't hold anyone up. And popping in and out of the shop to switch models seemed like a good strategy in the bitter cold.

So here's what I tried and what I thought. Keep in mind, I'm a noob and don't really know how to talk about skis. (All I can ever say is "I liked these, so they might be worth trying because maybe you'll like them, too.")

Volkl Kanjo, 168cm.

I liked these! Maybe you'll like them, too!
Kanjos would be redundant alongside the Vantge 90ctis, because they are the same type of ski as far as I can tell, but boy I had fun on them. They are playful but strong, with good edge hold and a stable feel.(A "playful" Volkl!? It seems true!). I think the Kanjos are sort of a men's version of the Yumi, with some metal? I reckon if you liked the Yumi but found it a bit underpowered, the Kanjo may be worth a test drive. And if you're looking at the Vantage, maybe look at the Kanjo?

Icelantic Nomad 171cm

It was an absurd day to ski these 105-waisted freeride skis and I don't have the skills to be on a cool-guy ski like the Nomad anyway. But they were beautiful skis and I've never been on anything that wide, so I thought it might be interesting just to see what they felt like. They were surprisingly nimble and easy to get on edge. I mean, I'm not saying they were an amazing carving ski, more that my reaction was "Hey, I can actually ski these like real skis! Look, I'm skiing them!" I only did one run, you know ... because if the absurdity. So this is the silliest, least-informative review ever. But I'm glad I tried them because they were fun to goof around on.

Volkl RTM 84 172

I'm always recommending the RTM because I just love it on East coast groomers. But I actually sold my 2017 RTMs because I realized that 177cm was too long and unwieldy for me and they were hard to stay "over." I was 20 pounds heavier when I first demoed the 177, so maybe that made a difference? I dunno. Anyway, I thought I'd try this year's RTM 84 in a 172 just for kicks. Boy, I'm glad I did. Again, I don't need new skis and don't plan on buying any, but next time I do I imagine I will purchase a pair of these if they're still around. They're just so stable and grip so well, and they want to go fast in a way that makes me want to go fast, too. And I don't usually want to go fast. Whatever the alchemy is that resulted in this ski, it definitely works for me. Maybe they'll work for you!

And it did turn out to be helpful to warm up in the shop while the guys adjusted the various skis.
I'm not skiing again until this cold snap lets up!

marzNC

Angel Diva
My ski buddy skis the RTM 84 in pretty much any snow conditions out west. Even in deep powder when he doesn't think it's going to be worth taking out his powder skis. With his skiing experience, he likes them pretty much all the time.

Demo'ing is always fun. Doesn't always have to lead to a ski purchase . . . right away.

Jilly

Staff member
That's what we do!! Keep an eye on Ski Essentials. They are out of the north east and have some wicked deals.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It must be fate! Or very successful enabling! I've had a bunch of gear for sale on e-bay for a while now and for some reason it all sold in one 24-hour flurry. Wouldn't you know it, the sale amount was just enough to afford a pair of RTM 84s in a 172 length.

You can't argue with that kind of message from the universe.

They arrived today and I can't wait to rip around the mountain on them!

newboots

Angel Diva
HAHAHAHA! What about using the money to buy more warm gear? Are you all geared up for Snowandwindmageddon?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HAHAHAHA! What about using the money to buy more warm gear? Are you all geared up for Snowandwindmageddon?

Lol! The FaceSaver was what I really needed, and it was only 16 bucks!

Also, I did not decide to major in history on account of my amazing financial acumen and responsibility. :rolleyes:

In an incredible stroke of good luck it's too cold to ski, I have a massive amount of essay-grading to do, and we just got the call that school is cancelled tomorrow due to a predicted-25 degree wind chill (students have to walk significant distances between campus buildings).

I will be toiling away at my desk, motivated to fierce diligence by the chance to ski those RTMs on Sunday!

Jilly

Staff member
Last week the only place I got frostbite was the edge of the nostrils and the skin at the end of the septum of my nose.. I used the facesaver and a tight necktube that has wind blocker in it. My problem was my hands. The down mitts were OK, but not the best.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Last week the only place I got frostbite was the edge of the nostrils and the skin at the end of the septum of my nose.. I used the facesaver and a tight necktube that has wind blocker in it. My problem was my hands. The down mitts were OK, but not the best.
What neck tube/gaiter do you have? I like the ones with the windblocker, but they seem to be hard to find.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Jilly - Yikes!

Does Vaseline or something similar protect at all? I always use this really heavy, thick sunscreen I have on cold days. It feels like it protects, but I don't actually know. I've never had frostbite, thank goodness.

Jilly

Staff member
There is a creme "stick" that is for frostbite. My friend was using it last week. But we were so covered up, I'm not sure. Think it was called Blizzard.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:love: My 84s so very, very much!! I'll even be racing on them this year. :love:

Hubby found the 2017 model "used demo" for $450. When they showed up, it looked like they had never even been skied. He's such a good bargain shopper!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna