• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I-70 Congestion/Bad traffic and skiing.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
An article in VailDaily.com says that a study reveals that congestion on I-70 is leading to skiers making fewer trips to the mountains along the corridor.

What do you think? For those of you who live in Colorado, is this a factor? Has it made you alter your plans? And wherever you are, would bad traffic cause you to put off a ski trip?

Last edited:

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I drive back and forth to Snowmass from Denver usually once per week. Winter traffic is predictable, unless really bad weather or accidents, so not really an issue.

I usually spend 3-4 days in Snowmass so trip is worth it. I would likely not ski as much if I was limited to day trips.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I cannot share a response as a Coloradan, I will admit that when my DH and I had considered a trip to Colorado to visit the resorts along I-70, we were careful to review the alternative routing options when deciding where to book lodging. We never did get out there though, as that region didn't make it to the finals in the few weeks prior to our annual trip. (DH selects three areas, books lodging, and then follows the snow. I just pack with the knowledge that I will be skiing somewhere.)

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... Winter traffic is predictable, unless really bad weather or accidents, so not really an issue. ...

It's true, it is very predictably at the times that make it very hard to get back and forth to the mountains if you're mostly a weekend skier, so it's a bit of an issue. :smile:

I've done seasonal rentals in the mountains every winter as a result of the I-70 traffic, and driving up late Friday night (leaving Boulder 8pm or later) and splitting on Saturday or Sunday afternoon by 1pm does avoid the worst of it. I also actively avoid weekend powder days, honestly. I'm all about making my skiing as low effort as possible at this point. I have fun pretty much every day I ski, so I'd much rather roll up there with less traffic to ski leftovers than fight everyone else on the Front Range for a powder day.

It has gotten very, very challenging to do weekend day trips on I-70. I'm not surprised to hear it's affecting people's skiing plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly