• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hurricane Ian

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m so worried for those within the path of hurricane Ian. This will be life changing for so many people. The amount of water coming in with the storm surge will be unimaginable, and if it continues inland as a major cat 3 or 4, it will be devastating for a vast amount of people through florida and beyond.
Here is my current situation and I am so grateful I am well east of this storm but we are feeling the outer bands now and a potential storm surge of 2-4’ above our already high king tides for this time of year. Check out sloppy joes on duval street for their live camera which is 50 miles closer to the storm then I am. I posted a couple of videos on my Facebook page. Julie PERTUNEN
Wendy, I hope your parents will be ok and have all provisions set aside for them.

Attachments

• 1074518E-E14A-4F21-80BF-6871914667EC.png
    1074518E-E14A-4F21-80BF-6871914667EC.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My parents and several family friends and relatives have winter homes in Port Charlotte. They haven't migrated south yet but I'm sure hoping their places survive this.
The neighbors across the street are good people and went and closed up all the shutters on the house.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stay safe down there. I'm trying to keep in touch with a few friends, although I don't think I have anyone where the worst of it is expected.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are almost at high tide, we have about a foot or so of water down the street now. Sitting in the garage waiting for it to go down to bring cars and rv back home.

Attachments

• B108D6E6-F718-450F-9158-F3E394A4BFC3.jpeg
    B108D6E6-F718-450F-9158-F3E394A4BFC3.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 12

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, it appears the water is receding a bit. We lost 1/2 the mahogany tree where the chickens went to roost. I highly sought they stayed up in there. Water line is 1.5 feet from garage. Keeping fingers crossed this is the worst of it.

Attachments

• D2AEE5CB-1AC5-420F-BE1D-AC51543AAEFA.jpeg
    D2AEE5CB-1AC5-420F-BE1D-AC51543AAEFA.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 13

MissySki

Angel Diva
@floridakeysskibum so glad to hear it wasn't too horrible for you, hope it stays that way!

One of my coworkers was in the direct path around Cape Coral. Heard this morning that they are safe, but their less than 2 month old house did sustain damage. :( We have 30 something people from my company who live in FL that have been impacted, so I know my company has already been contacting them all to offer any possible assistance. Some of my coworkers and I are also trying to think of how we may be able to help the one person I mentioned above. We were thinking about sending Home Depot (or similar) gift cards etc. Any thoughts on the most useful stuff for us to contribute to for someone in this right now?

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe batteries or those portable battery packs?

I'm still waiting to hear about the status of the house. Mom hasn't heard from any of the neighbors or relatives that are down there since the power is out. She said the only vehicles allowed on the road yesterday were emergency vehicles .

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My sister and her family live in Fort Myers, and my Mom is in assisted living there, too. My Mom's facility was evacuated, so my sister picked her up and brought her home. Good thing -- who knows where they would've sent her! Anyway, no damage at my sister's -- luckily, she's inland -- but she has no power or water. Reaching them has been difficult, though I finally managed to get through yesterday afternoon. When I did, they were in the process of driving up to her daughter's in Orlando, where things are better. Not sure how long they'll stay there.

The damage in Lee County is devastating. I'd planned to go down there the end of October to see my Mom, but now I'm not so sure. BTW, her birthday (93rd!) is Sunday. I'm very often there to help celebrate. It's lucky I wasn't this year.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Most people will be staying home today in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area of central NC. Including my daughter because the preschool she works at is closed. All the local schools are closed for in-person learning today. Most of NC is expecting heavy rain and wind as Hurricane Ian tracks through the state. It will be Cat 1 when it makes landfall again near Charleston, SC.

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 8.04.24 AM.jpg

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter lives in Charleston. She doesn't expect it to be as bad as some she's gone through in the last 10 years, but you never know.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My daughter lives in Charleston. She doesn't expect it to be as bad as some she's gone through in the last 10 years, but you never know.
It's Cat 1 and moving reasonably fast along SC. I'm hoping it doesn't slow down too much after going inland. It has been the slow moving storm remnants that have caused major flooding and power outages due to downed trees in NC in the last decade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna