• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

hula hooping for exercise?

altagirl

Staff member
Heh - so the other day, one of my co-workers mentioned that she was thinking of buying a hula hoop for exercise. And I thought - huh, that probably is pretty good for your core. And then on Sunday, I saw that they have hula hoops in the grocery store. So I bought one...

I don't think I ever even tried this as a kid, but I'm figuring it out, and it's kindof fun. (Though I may be having even more fun having our little frisbee dog jump through it for treats... I need to get some pictures of that because she's a maniac!) But now I'm spending the evening trying to figure out how to get it started from the ground by kicking it with my other foot, and work it up from my knees to my waist, and all of that fun stuff. (All sorts of instructional videos are out there on YouTube).

Just wondering if anyone else has ever tried this. Heh - it's cheap anyway - the one at the store was only a couple bucks, and I guess they are very easy to make yourself out of stuff you can grab at Home Depot.

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have heard of this, with weighted hoops. sports-hoop It's supposed to work wonders.

I tried this sucker once, and I don't know if I was doin' it WRONG, or what .... but this resulted in BRUISED HIPS!

altagirl

Staff member
I tried this sucker once, and I don't know if I was doin' it WRONG, or what .... but this resulted in BRUISED HIPS!

I can see the potential for a few bruises happening - especially with a heavier hoop. The one I have has water inside it - I can just pop it open and add or remove stuff.

altagirl

Staff member
This is going to be like the pole dancing thread???

Heh, I had to do a search to figure out what you were talking about! I don't quite put hula hoops and dancing poles in the same category (not that I can't see the potential, I guess!) - but now I'm laughing trying to imagine them selling stripper poles in the grocery store in Utah along with hula hoops. :laugh:

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't used a real hula hoop in several years, but it must be great exercise. After all, hula hooping is a section on Wii Fit (which I have done more recently)!

Enjoy!

By the way, the pole dancing craze has made it's way to where I live. We've had 2 places open in the last 6 months to learn!

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a client who does "hooping" for exercise. She's in her mid 50s and takes hooping classes at her local community centre. Until she told mentioned it, it had never occurred to me that hooping was something - I figured hoola hoops were just what we used in the playground as kids.

You can check out the hooping website here - even includes some video tutorials:

www.hooping.org

Elsbeth

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly