• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Huge indoor skiing proposed for Fairfax County (Northern VA/DC metro)

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Heard This on the radio today. Will take 4 years to build.

Alpine-X and SnowWorld have proposed a 450,000-to-500,000-square-foot facility that includes a 1,500-foot ski slope, sky bar, event facility, a 100-plus room hotel and multiple dining and drinking establishments...”

marzNC

Angel Diva
At least SnowWorld has actual experience with an indoor slope. The company is based in The Netherlands. Alpine-X is a partner in SnowWorld USA. I'm sure they will watching what happens later this year when Big SNOW finally opens in NJ.

" . . .
The facility would be developed through a public-private partnership agreement and privately built and funded. Fairfax County's public-private partnership process now allows for competing proposals to be submitted until Sept. 15.

Alpine-X and SnowWorld have proposed a 450,000-to-500,000-square-foot facility that includes a 1,500-foot ski slope, sky bar, event facility, a 100-plus room hotel and multiple dining and drinking establishments. The proposal also lays out concurrent and future development opportunities outside the skiing facility, including a wave and surf pool, rope course, zip lines, a mountain coaster and bike trails.
. . ."

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I biked past one of SnowWorld's indoor slopes in the Netherlands this spring, though I'm not sure which one it was:

IMG_0794.JPG

Has anyone here skied an indoor slope?

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are live webcams for the SnowWorld locations in The Netherlands. Zoetermeer has two slopes (Piste 1 and Piste 2), a magic carpet that doesn't quite go to the top, and a J-bar.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
This is so cool! Looks like there is another slope with a different pitch on the other side of the tow?

I so wish this proposal happens. Skiing year round! Count me in! I can see working on technique on something a little more forgiving than the indoor rolling carpet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think what I thought was a J-bar is actually a poma. There is also a live feed for Piste 2 at Zoetermeer.

From this marketing video for Snowworld Zoetermeer, reminds me of Wolf Lodge waterpark resorts. The idea is to go for a weekend with family and have a good time on snow indoors, instead of sliding around an indoor waterpark.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Found a GoPro edit taken at Snowworld Landgraaf. That place is huge! There is a 6-seat chairlift in addition to poma lifts. Can build terrain park features plenty big enough for a competition.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I biked past one of SnowWorld's indoor slopes in the Netherlands this spring, though I'm not sure which one it was:

View attachment 10890

Has anyone here skied an indoor slope?

Yes - we skied at an indoor slope in Den Haag called De Uithof. It was me, DH, and about 150 teenaged snowboarders. It was a fun novelty, especially since we were there in August, but I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to do it again.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna