• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to transport skis/poles on bus

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies,
My tire chains were stolen out of my car last spring, and I've taken it as a sign that I should be more eco-conscious and take the shuttle bus from my town to the mountain instead... (plus I hate driving in snow anyways).
But this throws a wrench in how I usually transport my stuff by throwing it all in my trunk.
Should I be keeping an eye out for ski bags, or can I just strap my skis and poles together? How do you store your ski bag on the mountain? The more padded, protective bags look nice, but they also look difficult to stuff in a locker along with my boot bag. Any tips?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I say take a look at what others using the shuttle are doing, and follow their lead.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've done a couple bus trips and do not use a ski bag. I clip my poles together so that they don't get separated and put the straps over the tip of one ski (I also use a ski strap btw). The strap usually falls off but at least when I'm grabbing my gear it's all together. I also write my name on EVERYTHING using a label maker from the 90s. Painters tape works well too

marzNC

Angel Diva
The few times I took a day bus, I didn't bother with a ski bag. Back then my skis were nothing special, and neither were my poles.

Christy

Angel Diva
The buses I take at Sun Valley have slots for skis on the outside, then you carry your poles on.

1541446649418.png

A lot of ski buses have those. Even if they don't, I've never seen anyone use a ski bag. It's too big and clumsy.

I use a boot bag for everything else, but my husband just slings his boots over his shoulder and wears his helmet/googles/etc. Or you just just use any old bag for odds and ends.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I hate walking in my boots and I tend to bring more than I need. I use a small ski backpack that fits inside the smallest locker. Boots are attached on the outside. I think it’s called something sidekick.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate walking in my boots and I tend to bring more than I need. I use a small ski backpack that fits inside the smallest locker.

I have a friend who brings legitimate luggage on day trips! We're 20something single ladies and don't have kids but she looks like she's brought enough stuff for an army of children! It's mostly food, to be honest, but I stick to just my boot bag. If it doesn't fit in my bag and I'm not wearing it, either I don't need it, or I've packed another useless item already. Usually it means all that's in the bag is boots, helmet, gloves, balaclava, spare socks, Cliff bars and a water bottle. There's absolutely definitely not any candy wrappers or receipts from last season, or last weekend's dirty socks shoved somewhere in there. That would be gross, amirite ;-)

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Oh, and skis+poles either ride in racks outside or simply held in hand. No bag. The backpack is strictly for boots and extra clothing & sundries.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I have a friend who brings legitimate luggage on day trips! We're 20something single ladies and don't have kids but she looks like she's brought enough stuff for an army of children! It's mostly food, to be honest, but I stick to just my boot bag. If it doesn't fit in my bag and I'm not wearing it, either I don't need it, or I've packed another useless item already. Usually it means all that's in the bag is boots, helmet, gloves, balaclava, spare socks, Cliff bars and a water bottle. There's absolutely definitely not any candy wrappers or receipts from last season, or last weekend's dirty socks shoved somewhere in there. That would be gross, amirite ;-)
I hear ya! Since I’ve had kids I can’t help but overpack, even when it’s just me on the trip. I definitely need help to go minimist...minimumist... minimalist?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to do a lot of bus trips from the hotel to the mountain with a ski club. I always used a ski bag because the skis were just piled on top of each other in the luggage compartment. Not just for the scratches on the top sheets, but the possible damage to the bindings.

The bus driver allowed us to leave the empty ski bags in the compartment for the day. He always took them out at the loading point so they were easily available when we arrived after skiing. We loaded our skis right at the bus. But we had the same bus going and returning.

I would never put my boots in the cargo compartment either. I want them warm and dry, with me, no matter what.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hear ya! Since I’ve had kids I can’t help but overpack, even when it’s just me on the trip. I definitely need help to go minimist...minimumist... minimalist?
Do you have a separate bag for everyone or do you have a communal family ski bag? My family always did the family bag when I was a kid. We weren’t minimalist, but it minimized things to be carried (or left behind). I think the trick for bus trips is keeping everything together.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The shuttle bus to Bachelor has a couple of large compartments on the back of the bus -- outside -- for gear. People put skis, boards, and poles in there. Gear is all jammed in together. I did that one day. When I got my stuff out, my skis were filthy and had some cuts on them. Never again. I'm not paying for a shuttle and then having my skis damaged in the process.

After that, if I took the shuttle, I took skis and poles in my ski bag. Sometimes I had to get creative about where to stash my bag if i had a smaller locker.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Do you have a separate bag for everyone or do you have a communal family ski bag? My family always did the family bag when I was a kid. We weren’t minimalist, but it minimized things to be carried (or left behind). I think the trick for bus trips is keeping everything together.
The last time we skied as a family was years ago in Austria and I was the family pack mule. I carried the family backpack and my own skis and DH carried his and the kids skis. We wore our boots and took the shuttle from the town to the slopes. Fast forward to present day, I ski alone now but haven’t kicked the habit of packing for contingencies.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Does anyone have experience with the summit county shuttle that goes between Breckenridge & Keystone? Ski bag or no ski bag?

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What type of bus will you be riding, the one thats more like a charter bus with storage underneath or the type that similar to a city bus? I's look that up and then you will better be able to figure out how to pack. How long will the bus ride be?

mustski

Angel Diva
Does anyone have experience with the summit county shuttle that goes between Breckenridge & Keystone? Ski bag or no ski bag?
Yes, we used the shuttle bus from Keystone to Breck and I believe it's the same bus. We did not use a ski bag. I have never used a ski bag when using a shuttle bus. Some buses have you bring your skis and poles onboard with you and some have outside storage like the pic posted above by Christy. I have never seen the kind with underneath storage except with tour group/ski club situations.

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
I'd be taking the Bergs Ski Shop bus from Eugene or the Mt. Hood Express from Portland, and I'm not exactly sure how they function.
If there are any other Willamette Valley divas it would be great to meet up!

mustski

Angel Diva
I'd be taking the Bergs Ski Shop bus from Eugene or the Mt. Hood Express from Portland, and I'm not exactly sure how they function.
If there are any other Willamette Valley divas it would be great to meet up!
Call and ask. Also @vickie may have taken some of these shuttles and have some insight. If it's anything like the Mt. Bachelor shuttle Vicki described above, you may want a ski bag.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have not used those shuttles, just the one between the parking lot in Bend and Bachelor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna