• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How to ski faster

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m doing pretty good at my S shapes but they are pretty big still and are a lot of work. I generally like smaller S’s and faster but my I freak out because I think I will get out of control (I’m reading a book on NLP and skiing so hopefully that won’t be an issue). So... how do you go from that intermediate skier making careful S shapes to a faster skier driving down the hill? I feel like I’m stuck looking like a beginner skier still.

I also have an instructor which I’m sure will have a heart attack if I ask him this question as will my husband. LOL

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got faster with time and mileage. Technique helps, it's one component for sure, but I also had a mental speed limit where my brain would kick in over a certain point and be like, "Do we really want to be going this fast? What if we crash at this speed?" that just took time to get over. I will say, as my technique has improved over the years, I also feel less nervous at higher speeds because I feel more in control (probably b/c I am).

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Appropriately fitted boots and good skis for you.

I have an appointment with boot fitter on Tuesday in LA (which I find funny since there is no skiing in LA, but hey, they were recommended here and by a few others)!

My first boot fitting was 3+ hours since my right foot is a bit of a mess and now add broken pinky toe. I'm also demoing skis this trip so hope that helps as well.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got faster with time and mileage. Technique helps, it's one component for sure, but I also had a mental speed limit where my brain would kick in over a certain point and be like, "Do we really want to be going this fast? What if we crash at this speed?" that just took time to get over. I will say, as my technique has improved over the years, I also feel less nervous at higher speeds because I feel more in control (probably b/c I am).

I'm hoping the NPL book will help with this speed = fear and crashing thing. Obviously, that is not true as many people go fast and don't die or have a bone sticking out of their skin when they fall (yep... that is where my brain goes). I also take lessons in the mornings and then ski with the kids until they drop (which is always when the lifts close), so I am getting expert help with technique.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Improving your skill will probably get you going faster, and you won't even realize it. If I feel like I'm skiing "fast" I scrub speed right away...but over the years, what feels "fast" has gone from 20mph to about 40mph. That's assuming uncrowded runs, good light, and good snow conditions on a groomer. If there are other people, if the light's flat, if the conditions are variable, if there are bumps or churned up snow, if I'm tired, if this is my third ski day in a row, all that affects my speed.

I didn't go into my ski lessons expecting to go faster. Going faster was purely a byproduct of getting better. I'd say just work on your technique, and the speed will take care of itself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly