• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How to ski (deep) powder?

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Not particularly. I am skiing lengths between 156 and 161 at the moment. But I’m only 5’2” and 110 lbs. And I place a premium on making sure I can bend the ski. So I like to look at contact surface area and the lbs/in2 that I can bring to bear on the ski. The Alluvit is wider than my Ooh La Luvs (which were 159) so I figured I’d go down to the 156. I’ve skied the 163 Alluvit and I found I had to muscle them a little more - not as quick or agile for me and my short legs. They’d be fine In wide open powder and crud but at 156 the ski is more versatile for me. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not particularly. I am skiing lengths between 156 and 161 at the moment. But I’m only 5’2” and 110 lbs. And I place a premium on making sure I can bend the ski. So I like to look at contact surface area and the lbs/in2 that I can bring to bear on the ski. The Alluvit is wider than my Ooh La Luvs (which were 159) so I figured I’d go down to the 156. I’ve skied the 163 Alluvit and I found I had to muscle them a little more - not as quick or agile for me and my short legs. They’d be fine In wide open powder and crud but at 156 the ski is more versatile for me. :smile:
That makes sense to me after spending a day on the BP98 @152 in relatively small soft bumps after 9 inches of fresh powder at Taos in 2018.

I had the K2 Alluvit 88mm @156 a couple days before for the morning lesson. My instructor thought that was too long for me (5'0", 111 lbs). I was in an advanced/expert group but we were only on groomers because no black terrain was open due to low snow conditions.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I heard that too. Wonder if they have shorter than 156? I'm 5'1 103 ish.... My Black Crows are 156 though.......but different skis for sure.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
If you can find a 156 you should try them. I stumbled upon a pair in a shop over the summer and bought them to hold in reserve. That’s how much I like them!
Hmm maybe . Just saw some in 149 not 156

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Cool. I haven't seen them in that length. That sounds really short for a ski that also has fairly significant tip rocker.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm maybe . Just saw some in 149 not 156
Interesting, hadn't read the Ski Essential review of the 2019 Alluvit before. Two of the testers were petite and in our height/weight category. They both tested the 163cm, which seems long for northeast skiing. They liked it though. The review is part of the All-Mountain category.

I do see a few 149cm available online from a couple ski shops right now for under $400. :smile:

https://www.skiessentials.com/2019-ski-test?skis=2019-k2-alluvit-88-womens-skis

2019 K2 ALLUVIT 88 WOMEN’S SKIS
Dimensions:128/88/110 mm at 163 cm
Radius:12.5 m at 163 cm
Lengths:149, 156, 163, 170 cm

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Radius:12.5 m at 163 ?
That seems incredibly short radius

marzNC

Angel Diva
Radius:12.5 m at 163 ?
That seems incredibly short radius
Maybe that's what makes the Alluvit fun in trees and bumps, especially at shorter lengths since that usually makes the turn radius even smaller?

The K2 Mindbender 88 for 2020 has turn radius 14m @163. The BP88 is also 14m @166. My Stöckli Stormrider 85 is 13.5m @159 (shortest available). I didn't pay attention to turn radius the first few years I was demo'ing. But now it's a number that I look for in addition to length and width underfoot.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Maybe that's what makes the Alluvit fun in trees and bumps, especially at shorter lengths since that usually makes the turn radius even smaller?

The K2 Mindbender 88 for 2020 has turn radius 14m @163. The BP88 is also 14m @166. My Stöckli Stormrider 85 is 13.5m @159 (shortest available). I didn't pay attention to turn radius the first few years I was demo'ing. But now it's a number that I look for in addition to length and width underfoot.

The Blizzard Sheeva 9 has a 14m turn radius in the 164 that I ski. I absolutely love how turny they are! I did indeed gain a ton of confidence in trees and bumps last year on them.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My K2 LuvStrucks had the same short turn radius...and I grew very fond of it...not something I was willing to give up...

Skisailor

Angel Diva
In the event anyone is interested in the Alluvit at 156 (a length that’s been harder to find) I stumbled across another pair on a sale rack at a local store in Bozeman. They are being sold flat for $400, though you might be able to bargain them down a bit. PM me if interested.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
In the event anyone is interested in the Alluvit at 156 (a length that’s been harder to find) I stumbled across another pair on a sale rack at a local store in Bozeman. They are being sold flat for $400, though you might be able to bargain them down a bit. PM me if interested.
Don't tempt me

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Blizzard Sheeva 9 has a 14m turn radius in the 164 that I ski. I absolutely love how turny they are! I did indeed gain a ton of confidence in trees and bumps last year on them.
I really hope to find a pair to demo thanks to your praise of them. I’m 5’4, 150 lbs, a 164 would be the longest I’ve been on. Is that the length you’d recommend?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly