• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to let go of the fear?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not all double blacks are the same, though. I think Hunter's double blacks are likely regular blacks elsewhere. It's one reason I love skiing with my kids. They encourage me to ski hills I wouldn't have even considered. I don't know if they'll be successful at Killington, haha.
Yep, a double-black at Hunter is nothing like the Whitefish pic or double-blacks at Taos. At Alta, they don't bother to make a distinction since how challenging the black terrain is depends a lot on snow conditions. So at Alta the range of difficulty labeled "black" is from a steep groomer to narrow chutes that where any fall is pretty dangerous.

There is terrain at Alta that I would only try the first time with an instructor. It helps a lot to have a regular ski buddy who is/was a better skier so usually by the time I agree to somewhere new to me, the snow conditions are known from either from earlier that day or the day before.

Newbie 2018

Diva in Training
Hi
Mermer's book is well worth reading. And re-reading later on. My initial reaction was that it didn't apply to my approach to skiing. I'm not particularly a worrier and fear is not a significant issue for me on the slopes. Perhaps because I learned to ski as a teen even though I had a long hiatus. However, during and immediately after knee rehab her stories made more sense and were helpful. It also helped me understand friends who are/were cautious intermediates better.

As for skiing with friends, what helped me add mileage on ungroomed terrain for which it was a challenge to link 6+ turns was having a specific friend act as a "sweeper" for a specific section. Meaning I went first. Just knowing that someone was watching and ready to help if I got stuck or popped a binding for whatever reason meant that I was a bit more assertive and went a bit faster. So I was more likely to try linking more than 3-4 turns. Or as I improved, I was more likely to finish the entire section without a break to re-set.

During a lesson at Alta, the instructor took me and my ski buddy, Bill, to a short, steep, run in trees with deep powder. The short story is that we did the same run three times. Perhaps only a dozen turns. By the third time, I was skiing faster in that sort of terrain and snow conditions than I had ever skied before. Had a blast! Since then, I'm much more likely to ski the same trail or even the same line at least twice, if not three times, before moving on to another area. What was even more unexpected is that as Bill has gotten more into taking lessons as an advanced/expert skier, the more willing he's been to repeat a trail. When we first started skiing together, he wanted to do a different trail every lift ride.
I’m new to the group and new to skiing at 54 I just learned to ski last season. Onto season two woohoo. I’m very interested in the book by Mermer on fear. Has anyone found an onlin
Mermer's book is well worth reading. And re-reading later on. My initial reaction was that it didn't apply to my approach to skiing. I'm not particularly a worrier and fear is not a significant issue for me on the slopes. Perhaps because I learned to ski as a teen even though I had a long hiatus. However, during and immediately after knee rehab her stories made more sense and were helpful. It also helped me understand friends who are/were cautious intermediates better.

As for skiing with friends, what helped me add mileage on ungroomed terrain for which it was a challenge to link 6+ turns was having a specific friend act as a "sweeper" for a specific section. Meaning I went first. Just knowing that someone was watching and ready to help if I got stuck or popped a binding for whatever reason meant that I was a bit more assertive and went a bit faster. So I was more likely to try linking more than 3-4 turns. Or as I improved, I was more likely to finish the entire section without a break to re-set.

During a lesson at Alta, the instructor took me and my ski buddy, Bill, to a short, steep, run in trees with deep powder. The short story is that we did the same run three times. Perhaps only a dozen turns. By the third time, I was skiing faster in that sort of terrain and snow conditions than I had ever skied before. Had a blast! Since then, I'm much more likely to ski the same trail or even the same line at least twice, if not three times, before moving on to another area. What was even more unexpected is that as Bill has gotten more into taking lessons as an advanced/expert skier, the more willing he's been to repeat a trail. When we first started skiing together, he wanted to do a different trail every lift ride.
hello. I’m new to ski diva and just learned to ski last year. I’m interested in reading the book about conquering fear that I’ve seen posted. Has anyone seen it in electronic format

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hi

I’m new to the group and new to skiing at 54 I just learned to ski last season. Onto season two woohoo. I’m very interested in the book by Mermer on fear. Has anyone found an onlin

hello. I’m new to ski diva and just learned to ski last year. I’m interested in reading the book about conquering fear that I’ve seen posted. Has anyone seen it in electronic format

Yes, I have it on my Kindle.

Welcome to the forum and skiing!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
At the moment I’m skiing in Ontario. However I’m going to be in Aspen the week of February 10th. I’m excited and terrified at the same time. Hence wanting to read that book on fear.
Aspen/Snowmass is great fun for all ability levels. Be sure to spend a day at Buttermilk. It's not just for beginners. Tends to be much emptier, although in general the Aspen mountains are not crowded.

Have you skied out west before?

By the way, there is a gathering of Divas called Diva East at Tremblant in March.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/diva-east-2019-is-tremblant.22465/

Jilly

Staff member
At the moment I’m skiing in Ontario. However I’m going to be in Aspen the week of February 10th. I’m excited and terrified at the same time. Hence wanting to read that book on fear.

Where in Ontario?? JO-skier and I are looking at a date for Brimacombe, if you're in eastern GTA.

newboots

Angel Diva
Welcome, @Newbie 2018 ! So happy to have you! I’m starting my third year, and remember how scary it was (and often still is!).

My new boots are completely broken in now...

:welcome:

skatha

Certified Ski Diva
Hello all! It’s been a while since I posted. As a bit of history, I am a former snowboarder who started skiing after having 2 ankles surgeries for a talus fracture that was misdiagnosed as a “high ankle sprain” and a shoulder surgery following a traumatic dislocation that resulted in a labrum and anterior capsule tear-all from snowboarding. I tore my ACL twice before age 30 and that is the reason I tried snowboarding first. Needless to say, I am not speedy. What I found that helped me the most to feel “in control” is bunion surgery on my right foot. The concept fits right into the “well fitted boots” concept. So, just as an aside.....if you have a bunion, get it fixed. There’s nothing like pressuring the skis with a big toe pointed in the right direction.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Newbie 2018

Diva in Training
Thanks for sharing. I’ve just finished Mercers book and found it very helpful. I read about others that feel exactly like I do and she gave some great tips on how to manage this new sport I’ve taken up.

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for sharing. I’ve just finished Mercers book and found it very helpful. I read about others that feel exactly like I do and she gave some great tips on how to manage this new sport I’ve taken up.

I read the book as well and found the advice very useful. It certainly has helped with my skiing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna